Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 23-04-17, 22:10   #31
Paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
Hopefully this is the end of the futuristic experiment.

It's very odd. For some reason a lot of people on here have this odd obsession with CoD games. They claim not to care yet jump into every CoD thread to declare how much they don't care.
Agreed although I don't mind Advanced Warfare though I hope its a short lived experiment.

It is extremely odd and rather funny that so called detractors of COD always have the need to point it out in a CoD thread. lol
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-17, 18:51   #32
lcroft_lc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
What the hell!
lcroft_lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-17, 19:14   #33
Quebsenuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcroft_lc View Post
What the hell!
The Nazis had a lot of crazy futuristic things planned like jet packs and guns that shoot electricity and stuff like that
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-17, 20:06   #34
JimbobJeffers

I'm definitely interested in this and would like to see what they've come up with. Am I right in thinking that Call of Duty games are made on a three year rotation, with each year's game being done by a different developer? If that's the case then I see no issue in the yearly release of CoD games, as the developers are still getting ample time to design them.

I've played Modern Warfare, World at War and Black Ops 3. I actually enjoyed BO3 more than I thought I would, but I definitely crave something more akin to the modern-day setting or at least a historical one. Anything different from the sci-fi-imbued shooter, although that's just personal taste after playing a little too much Destiny back in its first year!

Also about this being done in response to Battlefield 1... What's wrong with that? If you ran a business and your main competitor embraced a new way of doing things, which works well for them, you'd be silly not to adapt too surely?
JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-17, 18:09   #35
ggctuk

Reveal trailer is out. I'd post it but there's swears in it. It's out November 3.

Last edited by ggctuk; 26-04-17 at 18:10.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-17, 20:05   #36
Quebsenuef

I watched the trailer.
Surprised they didn't try to outdo the Battlefield 1 trailer. I never even got Battlefield 1 and I was still hyped for it haha. That trailer was amazing!

This one just seems like the same old COD stuff… and I'm saying that as someone who stopped playing COD in like 2010 haha
If this stuff feels the same to me and it's been over half a decade then I'm not looking forward to it.

Beaches of Normandy? Really? I understand that that was a very crucial moment in WW2 but c'mon, we know how that plays out. That's been done in movies and shows and games before. Give me something else. We're playing as the Americans this time around and some stuff about being a squad and dealing with the horrors of war blah blah blah. I just want to kill some Nazis. Show me Nazis being the vile human scum they are and let me completely annihilate them with my tank or my Tommy Gun or Browning Machine Gun. COD W@W is something I still hope they remaster bc I feel like doing that will get more sales than this new game.
Old 26-04-17, 20:42   #37
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
Beaches of Normandy? Really?
Indeed, been there, done that. What were they thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
I just want to kill some Nazis. Show me Nazis being the vile human scum they are and let me completely annihilate them with my tank or my Tommy Gun or Browning Machine Gun.
You may want to check out Wolfenstein the New Order and the Old Blood, they're really good.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-17, 21:05   #38
lcroft_lc

Information taken from NeoGAF:
  • The game release on November 3rd, 2017 for PC, PS4, and XB1. It's made by Sledgehammer Games, who last did Advanced Warfare.
  • There's your regular 30 day exclusivity map window on the PS4 version.
  • There will be a private beta that you can get into by pre-ordering. It will be at least three days long.
  • There's a regular $60 edition, or a $100 edition that comes with a bunch of bonuses and the season pass.
  • The game takes place in World War II, which you may have inferred from the title.
  • The campaign primarily focuses on the European theater and follows the actions of a U.S. 1st Infantry Division squad from the perspective of rookie private Ronald “Red” Daniels as they fight from France, through Belgium, and into Germany between 1944 to 1945. You will play as other characters during the campaign.
  • However, the campaign also features missions taking place between 1940 and 1944 to "help set the stage for the narrative and establish the characters".
  • It's worth noting that the official blog repeatedly mentions things like "global perspective", "diverse ensemble cast", and "men and women", so if you were hoping for minority or female presence within the campaign, you're in luck. The French Resistance is listed as one such group you encounter.
  • If you specifically want to know all the game's diversity (feel free to discuss this without using spoiler tags in the thread): "Other characters appear including female resistance fighters, a soldier in an African-American unit (the U.S. Army was still segregated in WWII), a British officer and even a child."
  • Two campaign missions were detailed during the livestream. While I'm spoiler tagging these in the OP, feel free to talk at them at length without using spoiler tags. This is your primary warning for people concerned about knowing campaign mission details.
  • The game doesn't have regenerating health, though they're not saying what is replacing it yet. You will be much more vulnerable in the game in general, and this is also reflected in the story.
  • Mission 1: Hürtgen Forest: An old-growth forest on the German border where Allied forces engage in devastating encounters. In the heat of battle, the German Army uses tree burst bombs that detonate at treetop level, showering soldiers with wooden shrapnel. When your unit is zeroed-in-on by hostile artillery, the forest explodes around you as debris rains down.
  • Mission 2: Normandy: From inside a Higgins landing boat, your squad will storm Omaha Beach in a visceral audiovisual experience unlike any D-Day landing experienced in a game to date. You and your fellow soldiers must overcome the enemy defenses to serve as the tip of the spear for the Allied invasion.
  • Josh Duhamel will be in the campaign as part of your Squad.
  • There's also a separate cooperative campaign that they're not talking about yet. It sounds like this is separate from the below note, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • Seemingly in addition to the co-op campaign, the game will have Zombies mode. Specifically, "Nazi Zombies, an all-new cooperative mode featuring a unique standalone storyline set during World War II that’s full of unexpected, adrenaline-pumping action."
  • The game's multiplayer will be revealed at E3 between June 13th and June 15th, but we know a few starting details:
  • The game features "boots on the ground" gameplay. If you didn't like the new movement stuff introduced with Advanced Warfare, this one is for you.
  • There is now a social hub called "Headquarters" where you can hang out and meet up with friends. Think The Tower in Destiny or a town in World of Warcraft. There's a screenshot of this below.
  • There's a mode called Divisions where you choose to join the Infantry, Airborne, or Armored division, create your own class, and then "progress through the ranks". Presumably this has something to do with unlocks.
  • In multiplayer, beyond American G.I.s, you can play as "women resistance fighters, Brits, African-American GIs and others to be announced". You can also play as German.
  • There is another mode called War. "War is the name given to objective-based team contests between axis and allies that are all about taking ground, so there will be missions that task one side with defense and the other with attack."
  • In case that "Headquarters" note sounded bizarre, Sledgehammer's explanation is "Headquarters is a "social space" for players to hang out between matches, to "be rewarded and have fun."
lcroft_lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-17, 22:01   #39
Quebsenuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Indeed, been there, done that. What were they thinking?

You may want to check out Wolfenstein the New Order and the Old Blood, they're really good.
Already ahead of you! I loved that game and mainly for the brutality of just destroying all sorts of Nazis and their machines.
They also set it up so you just loathe them. Just hatred for Nazis in that game.

---

I went back and watched the campaign for COD W@W and if this new one can capture the sheer emotion of storming through Germany as the Russians and just destroying everything in your path. Tanks, molotovs, PPSH, Mosin Nagant, etc while just wiping out the Nazis along with the war cries from Reznor and Commissar Markhov.

My blood just races thinking about it.
"Citizens of Berlin! A ring of steel surrounds your rotten city. We will crush all who dare resist the will of the Red Army. Abandon your posts! Abandon your homes! Abandon all hope! URA!"
Just crushing the Nazis all the way to the Reichstag was one of my favorite moments in the COD series back when I enjoyed it.

I'm hopeful this new one will be good but I hope it doesn't bore me.
Old 28-04-17, 09:15   #40
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcroft_lc View Post
The game doesn't have regenerating health, though they're not saying what is replacing it yet. You will be much more vulnerable in the game in general, and this is also reflected in the story.
A Call of Duty game without regenerating health? What's next? Half-Life 3 will be announced?

This is actually one of the primary issues I have with a lot of modern games: Regenerating health without a logical explanation. In Halo for example it makes sense since it's not your health that is regenerating but your energy shields. But most other games that use this mechanic do it without any logical sense.

And I wonder if there'll still be a blood-on-the-screen effect instead of a classic health bar. Manual healing in combination with this effect is really annoying, the best example for this is RotTR.

Nonetheless I'm not really hyped for this game. I'm not totally against CoD, but I'm part of the minor group that actually likes the sci-fi settings, especially in the Black Ops games. Even though there haven't been many WW II FPSs for years, I feel as if this setting has been beaten to death by a lot of early 2000s shooters. And even without the WW II setting, I'm not a big fan of FPSs within a "realistic" war scenario.

Last edited by Wooxman; 28-04-17 at 09:18.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote