Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 07-11-14, 17:25   #981
Lwmte

So... Finally, proper room collision allowed me to implement... What do you know...

Our beloved QUICKSAND! This is very basic implementation, however. Lara doesn't gradually drown in quicksand, her level is always on the floor level. Maybe I'll fix that soon. On the other hand, there are features: for example, if Lara falls into quicksand from a lethal height, she will be immediately consumed by it, which makes quicksand a bit more lethal. Also I've blocked out all sounds except wade sound, so Lara's grunts are not heard anymore, which is more realistic, in my opinion.

Also I had to solve "quicksand vs. NL" flag conflict, which I did in a very dumb way - at level loading time, if level is a TR3 level, and there's a quicksand flag found in a room, it is relocated from bit 7 to bit 2. I never heard that any versions of any TR engines featured 0x02 flag ever, so I suppose it could be safely re-used.

Code is already on SF!
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 19:21   #982
Ado Croft

OMG great. I have been waiting for this feature. But it is a pitty that it doesn't work in TR4 anyway great job again. You are very clever, guys
Ado Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 19:49   #983
Lwmte

Theoretically, it's no problem implementing such feature for ANY level version (obviously, except TR1, because it has no wade animations). Only thing is you have to force room flag to 0x02 value. For example, you can create ordinary TR2/TR4/TR5 level in Dxtre3d or TRLE, reserve some dummy rooms for quicksand, then use some editing software (like Rview or whatever which allows to edit room flags) and make these rooms actually work like quicksand in OpenTomb!

Last edited by Lwmte; 07-11-14 at 20:01.
Old 09-11-14, 13:58   #984
Lwmte

While TeslaRus is now developing something that everyone is waiting for (well... maybe except graphical improvements and ring inventory! ), here are some minor news!

First of all, I'm trying to get Lara's ponytail working, and even with such great physics engine as Bullet, it's not that easy (especially because I'm bad at physics, plus English terminology is a bit confusing). Ponytail is being laggy, shaky and not reacting properly at Lara's movements, but at least I already managed to link six-part constrained chain to Lara's head!

The biggest problem for me is how to link actual hair meshes to Bullet bodies, and maybe make TR2-3 ponytails appear "jointed", as in TR4-5. Maybe I'll also experiment with soft bodies to receive more organic hair feel.

Also, we have registered domain name for the project, so you can now directly access SourceForge page by typing opentomb.org in your address bar! Additionally, I've made my Youtube account official channel for OpenTomb, added extensive news article to long-abandoned ModDB page, which was published on the main page (this immediately gave us a boost of 2000 hits yesterday). This way, I hope, more people become aware and interested with the project outside TR community.

Last edited by Lwmte; 09-11-14 at 13:59.
Old 09-11-14, 14:14   #985
SLAYER

#70 on moddb, nice. this project needs more awareness.
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 14:41   #986
Ado Croft

Oh my godness what did I see? wau, Lara is pretty cool with the new hairstyle, anyway Good job and of course good luck And you wrote that Tesla Rus is making ring invetory menu? I'm so happy right now.
Old 10-11-14, 16:17   #987
TeslaRus

Default Update

Added traverse object support! All You need: use command in level autoexec script or console "setEntityFlag(id, 0x10)" where id - traversed entity id; See examples on LEVEL2.PHD and LEVEL4.PHD + fixed TR_V alternate room calculation.
Interesting fact: in TR_V there are sectors with floor > ceiling... are some ideas about it? In tweens building I skip these sectors... but it is not the best solution...
TeslaRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 16:29   #988
Titak

@ Lwmte:
Those physics effects are great!
Oh my, I can already imagine having stuff hanging around that will react to Lara touching it. Ropes, vines, curtains, etc.
Adn the way it falls! I currently have a puzzel setup where you have to cut a chain that is used to tether the rubber boat to a jetty.
No way I'm going to turn that chain into an animating and manually animate the darn thing! So I set it up in such a way that you can't see Lara cutting the chain and you can't see it fallign down. But still, it feel and looks a bit fake.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 18:13   #989
Ado Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaRus View Post
Added traverse object support! All You need: use command in level autoexec script or console "setEntityFlag(id, 0x10)" where id - traversed entity id; See examples on LEVEL2.PHD and LEVEL4.PHD
OMG, pushable object works perfect but when Lara pulls a cube then the camera is behind the cube, anyway good job
Only question is how can I find traversed entity id?

Last edited by Ado Croft; 10-11-14 at 18:14.
Old 10-11-14, 18:22   #990
TeslaRus

Default entity id

Quote:
Only question is how can I find traversed entity id?
Right Mouse Button, cross-hair on entity - You will see entity id in left down corner (4-th line from bottom).
TeslaRus is offline   Reply With Quote