Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 20-10-16, 01:49   #11
Lara's home

I think it's fine to appreciate what we already have, but I get tired of playing basically the same game every time. If they add nothing new, what's the point of a sequel to begin with?
If you play league of legends, you will notice that they make some major changes every new season. This is part of the reason why the game stays so successful. People won't be playing the exact same game for long. Same with almost every single sequel I know of. Things have to change if it is to keep peoples interest.

Last edited by Lara's home; 20-10-16 at 01:51.
Lara's home is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 01:55   #12
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
I think it's fine to appreciate what we already have, but I get tired of playing basically the same game every time. If they add nothing new, what's the point of a sequel to begin with?
I would assume the point of a sequel would be to have more.

Story-wise one might expect a sequel to progress the story. Yet in the case of Tomb Raider 1 and 2, the plot is not directly linked besides existing within the same canonical universe.

But really, the desire for more of what that was is the most logical reason for a sequel.

We recognize the identity of the singular game itself is constantly in a state of variation, from level-to-level. So it only makes sense that the instances of jumping, running, collecting, etc... will vary between games.

But there seems recently an expectation that there be massive shift between games.

Really, any shift risks losing those who enjoyed and supported the prior game. Hmmm.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 02:00   #13
Lara's home

Every game has always evolved between sequels. TR2 added more combat and weapons. TR3 more moves. TR4 more moves. TR5 was ****. TR6 failed to bring the changes that they tried to implement.
TR7 was a soft reboot, etc.

Even the earliest super mario games had several changes between sequels.

Last edited by Lara's home; 20-10-16 at 02:01.
Old 20-10-16, 02:01   #14
Daring Do

Neveeeerrr!!
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 02:01   #15
larafan25

Quote:
Every game has always evolved between sequels. TR2 added more combat and weapons. TR3 more moves. TR4 more moves. TR5 was ****.
And what was left?
Old 20-10-16, 02:03   #16
Lara's home

All the money they made?
Old 20-10-16, 02:06   #17
larafan25

Quote:
All the money they made?
The rest of the game that was present prior to the additions. That is what stayed.

I mean.

Right now I'm being told "the classic games changed"

yet these are the same games that "didn't change enough and got stale".

IDK. It's confusing.
Old 20-10-16, 02:11   #18
Lara's home

No, they didn't change enough. But they still made changes and additions for it to at least feel a bit more fresh.

The problem with the classics Tomb Raiders was that their control scheme never got the change it needed. While many members here loved it, the majority of people I've seen discuss the games agree that the controls were designed by the anti christ. It was fine in the beginning, but as more and more games got better controls, the contrast started to begain painful.

The TR games were also released every year, which didn't help much on the "same game" feel. Kind of like Assassins' creed feels like.
Old 20-10-16, 02:41   #19
larafan25

Quote:
No, they didn't change enough. But they still made changes and additions for it to at least feel a bit more fresh.

The problem with the classics Tomb Raiders was that their control scheme never got the change it needed. While many members here loved it, the majority of people I've seen discuss the games agree that the controls were designed by the anti christ. It was fine in the beginning, but as more and more games got better controls, the contrast started to begain painful.

The TR games were also released every year, which didn't help much on the "same game" feel. Kind of like Assassins' creed feels like.
So what for you, is the anchor? Is there something that you don't want them to remove?
Old 20-10-16, 02:46   #20
laracroft1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daring Do View Post
Neveeeerrr!!
Nothing lasts forever
laracroft1997 is offline   Reply With Quote