Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 18-04-18, 21:34   #1
Jason Kilich

Default Negativ things about Eidos... (WARNING: PROBALY VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION)

So I actually love AOD, but some people don't and I can understand that. Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness was really buggy and laggy but I just wanted to say something...
Tomb Raider AOD was rushed since the Engine needed to be remade and The Angel of Darkness was suppost to hit the Final stage already in 2002 but after 3 years of development Eidos couldn't wait any longer and setted the Dead Line. The Team didn't really have much time in bug fixing so they just left it in probaly hoping it will be ignored or not discoveted. But since people seemed to notice and giving Negativ Feedback. Eidos took Action and the Series was handed over to Crystal Dynamics... When I heard about it 14 years ago, my Emotions we're filled whit Rage. I couldn't believe Eidos! How could they do that? And the thing is it is their fault that lots of Tomb Raider Fans are up to this hating on Eidos. The new games aswell have some kind "fun" in them, but will never be like the old ones... (I am sorry if i made any grammer mistakes, I am from Germany)
Jason Kilich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-18, 23:24   #2
TheShadowOfMe

But... I'm confused... We knew all that stuff.
TheShadowOfMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 01:35   #3
LaraCablara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Kilich View Post
So I actually love AOD, but some people don't and I can understand that. Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness was really buggy and laggy but I just wanted to say something...
Tomb Raider AOD was rushed since the Engine needed to be remade and The Angel of Darkness was suppost to hit the Final stage already in 2002 but after 3 years of development Eidos couldn't wait any longer and setted the Dead Line. The Team didn't really have much time in bug fixing so they just left it in probaly hoping it will be ignored or not discoveted. But since people seemed to notice and giving Negativ Feedback. Eidos took Action and the Series was handed over to Crystal Dynamics... When I heard about it 14 years ago, my Emotions we're filled whit Rage. I couldn't believe Eidos! How could they do that? And the thing is it is their fault that lots of Tomb Raider Fans are up to this hating on Eidos. The new games aswell have some kind "fun" in them, but will never be like the old ones... (I am sorry if i made any grammer mistakes, I am from Germany)
3 years was really more than enough time. Eidos may have rushed them as they grew impatient but they were pretty hands off during development. I don't think they were responsible for all bad management decisions made by Core when developing the game.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 03:14   #4
Laras Dream

I agree with LaraCablara.

As much as I wish AOD had more time, they were given 3 years. There were screenshots included in Tomb Raider Chronicles, which indicates development had started even before Chronicles was released. I even remember hearing they switched from 3DS Max to Maya mid-development.
Laras Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 11:11   #5
Ruu11

TRAOD's development was like a chaos, but I believe that the biggest issue was that Core didn't know how to work at all with PS2 software... it was something new for them

It always breaks my heart thinking that only 1 week more could fix a lot of things in this game...
Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 14:01   #6
larafan25

AOD is sometimes a really good culmination of moves from TR1-5. The basis of the game felt distinctly Tomb Raider. Really, the only 2 things worth hating in AOD are the combat camera and the lack of gameplay. Just wish it had more.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 14:26   #7
thabani33

I'm with the members who blame Core on this.

Core had more time to develop AOD. They did not use that time wisely. They should have sought more people with experience and skill in developing for the PS2. I guess the top brass of the company also weren't experienced enough to manage everything so well. As for Eidos, they should have given Core a second chance to redeem themselves.

P.S: You can blame Chronicles for all you want but it still doesn't change the fact that Core didn't have the skill and competency to create a solid PS2 game.

Last edited by thabani33; 19-04-18 at 14:29.
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 16:35   #8
TheLostSecret

Arrow

I myself love TRAOD !

But Eidos was so cruel and it exactly felt like robbery after the Core Design Studios were close !
TheLostSecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 17:05   #9
Caesum

I thought this is like an opposite version of Appreciation Thread.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 18:08   #10
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabani33 View Post
I'm with the members who blame Core on this.

Core had more time to develop AOD. They did not use that time wisely. They should have sought more people with experience and skill in developing for the PS2. I guess the top brass of the company also weren't experienced enough to manage everything so well. As for Eidos, they should have given Core a second chance to redeem themselves.

P.S: You can blame Chronicles for all you want but it still doesn't change the fact that Core didn't have the skill and competency to create a solid PS2 game.
That's the thing, though, the people with the most skill and experience were stuck making Chronicles while the AoD team had to make due with less experienced people for the crucial early stages of development. That was Eidos' fault and it was at the root of many of the game's development troubles. Of course Core also made mistakes and Eidos is not solely to blame but it sounds to me like you're not really understanding why people keep pointing to Chronicles in these threads. Because Core may very well have had the "skill and competency to create a solid PS2 game" but thanks to Eidos, that skill and competency was busy churning out another PS1 game.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote