Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 20-11-15, 12:44   #1
vampirecheetah

Default Modding TR2 to remove spiders?

I'm sure this kind of topic has been brought up before. I've some pretty severe arachnophobia, which makes Tomb Raider 2 and Underworld pretty much unplayable. [Underworld isn't an entire loss, as I have a ps2 copy in an addition to the pc copy, so I can avoid them that way.]

I've looked around to see if any mods exist that tackle the problem of removing or replacing the spiders in TR2 with something else, but have only found a lot of trolling.

I suppose my questions are:
  • Is there a mod that removes/replaces spiders already out there and I'm just missing it?
  • If not, what would I need to know in order to make a mod for myself?

I saw this thread that looks promising in terms of texture replacement [maybe making them hot pink or some other color might make it absurd enough to tolerate them easier].

A lot of the thread comments talk about adding sprites from one TR game into another. This is also ideal for me as I would love to change the small spiders into rats and the large spiders into tigers, if removing them entirely isn't an option.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of tools to achieve this, or offer any advice on the matter? Please don't tell me to just download a save file, if I had wanted to do that I would've already. And please don't tell me to "suck it up," that is extremely rude, disrespectful, and offers no help.
vampirecheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-15, 13:17   #2
nakamichi680

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirecheetah View Post
I'm sure this kind of topic has been brought up before. I've some pretty severe arachnophobia, which makes Tomb Raider 2 and Underworld pretty much unplayable. [Underworld isn't an entire loss, as I have a ps2 copy in an addition to the pc copy, so I can avoid them that way.]

I've looked around to see if any mods exist that tackle the problem of removing or replacing the spiders in TR2 with something else, but have only found a lot of trolling.

I suppose my questions are:
  • Is there a mod that removes/replaces spiders already out there and I'm just missing it?
  • If not, what would I need to know in order to make a mod for myself?

I saw this thread that looks promising in terms of texture replacement [maybe making them hot pink or some other color might make it absurd enough to tolerate them easier].

A lot of the thread comments talk about adding sprites from one TR game into another. This is also ideal for me as I would love to change the small spiders into rats and the large spiders into tigers, if removing them entirely isn't an option.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of tools to achieve this, or offer any advice on the matter? Please don't tell me to just download a save file, if I had wanted to do that I would've already. And please don't tell me to "suck it up," that is extremely rude, disrespectful, and offers no help.
Regarding Tr2 you could locate spider's textures inside level files with Texture Finder 2 and replace them with an hex editor.
nakamichi680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-15, 13:48   #3
b122251

I'll make a mod to just remove them.

Last edited by b122251; 20-11-15 at 13:53.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-15, 13:50   #4
Heckler

You can get PixStr and retexture them.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-15, 14:27   #5
vampirecheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamichi680 View Post
Regarding Tr2 you could locate spider's textures inside level files with Texture Finder 2 and replace them with an hex editor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
You can get PixStr and retexture them.
I'm bookmarking these programs. I might tinker with them for sure, because I might tweak background textures to clean up spiderwebs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b122251 View Post
I'll make a mod to just remove them.
That would be super awesome if you did, it would save me a lot of hassle.

I've been tinkering with the trviewer and I've had some good first results with changing the small spiders into rats. They move like rats, sound like them, which is all good. It's been a little trickier using the same method on the larger spiders in later levels. Switching them out with tigers has proven disastrous. The tiger replacements will load, spazz, then do this weird body contorting until they lay motionless on the ground.

I tried replacing it with a yeti to see if maybe the fact tigers were already in the level was causing problems. But the level wouldn't load with that edit (too many textures apparently.) So I tried making the giant spiders into rats too. They'll load, but ultimately spaz like the tigers--except they do a backflip and lay over instead of the body horror tiger contortions earlier.

EDIT:
I've done some more tweaking with PixStr and have managed to remove all (if not most) of the spiderwebs/retextured spider cave walls. Not sure what texture is for the giant sac in Xian, and even if I did I'm not sure what I'd retexture that to. I've also managed to replace that "ch-ch-ch" chatter ambient track with something more calming.

Last edited by vampirecheetah; 20-11-15 at 16:29.
Old 20-11-15, 16:38   #6
sackboy123

You could use Fexmerger and mod them into something else
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-15, 17:36   #7
vampirecheetah

Welp, was trying to play through Wall to see if there'd be problems. Somehow my tweaking with the trviewer has messed with the breakable platforms? Their animation is very screwed up, and the tiles don't really break--which is game breaking :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
You could use Fexmerger and mod them into something else
Tried fexmerger just now on a clean vers of the Wall, made the level crash.
Old 20-11-15, 20:32   #8
b122251

Here you are. Replace the wall.tr2 and emprtomb.tr2 in your data folder with these ones, and you're ready to go.

Last edited by b122251; 22-11-15 at 09:04.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-15, 00:32   #9
vampirecheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by b122251 View Post
Here you are. Replace the wall.tr2 and emprtomb.tr2 in your data folder with these ones, and you're ready to go.
Bless you sir (or madam!) I really appreciate that you went out of your way to do this for me. I'd be more than happy to email you the code for a $10 Steam giftcard for the trouble

It's a little late where I'm at now and I work in the morning, so I will definitely try it out later tomorrow.

Edit:
Ok, couldn't wait to try it. Unfortunately there was an error, loading up a save ended up crashing the game. Got a "Runtime Error" message stating "abnormal program termination." I verified my local files through steam to make sure the game was vanilla before pasting the files in again. Same error. I was also encountering this error earlier for some of my own tinkering too.

Last edited by vampirecheetah; 21-11-15 at 00:42.
Old 21-11-15, 02:10   #10
archfiend

I understand how you feel. I used to be afraid of the snakes in TR3 and just for this reason i couldn't play TR3 for years. Since i really wanted to play it despite the snakes, my desire beat my fear and i got used to them. I advise you the same, using a mod to remove spiders is getting away from your fear. You need to beat it just don't give up and try your best.

Last edited by archfiend; 21-11-15 at 02:13.
archfiend is offline   Reply With Quote