Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 17-06-17, 06:15   #21
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
Really ? Aren't all animations motion captured since TRU ? I seriously think it would be wayy too long to recreate such realistic animations without motion capture tbh
Lots of modern games use handmade ingame animations. Many of them do also use mo-capped stuff for some movements (like walking, running,...) but it's not unusual to still be using a good deal of handmade animations even nowadays. And I'd think that, if they were mo-capping stuff like the climbing animations, we'd have seen some mention of that in the promo campaigns. I mean, we did with Underworld. Also, many of the climbing animations in TReboot/Rise just don't really look mo-capped to me but, of course, I could be wrong.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-17, 16:17   #22
Heartache

the rebooted tomb raiders use again hand made ingame animations while using mocap for cutscenes, but obviously animations that were reused are still mo capped back from underworld.

it was a huge fail. legend and anniversary had nice fluid animations especially while climbing and they never reached that quality ever again.
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-17, 19:36   #23
Wooxman

The ledge climbing animation in the new games is still the same we had in TRU and thus mo-capped. I really hate this animation since it looks very clunky. The ledge climbing animation (among others) in TRL and TRA has the same motions, so I wonder why they even bothered with motion capturing.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-17, 10:26   #24
fondantcookie

If they employed motion Capture technology then why are the animations in TRU so bloody awful?

I thought developers use motion capture to IMPROVE their animations; rather than utterly destroy them?

TRUs animations are horrendous. So many missing transitional frames. Clunky. Disjointed... EW

Such a shame...
fondantcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-17, 12:23   #25
Dennis's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post
Camera works absolutely inadequate in TRU - always try centering or aim in a way it wants. Most likely it was done for gamepad users, but on a keyboard with mouse it's absolutely stupid to do so. At least developers should make this optionable.
This, I think, is the real culprit. Since what Lara does is very relative to how the camera behaves, the camera's odd behavior make certain sections unbelievably frustrating.

CD IMO has always put the camera too close to Lara and so it's constantly in motion. They finally brought the scale back in the game, but refused to give us the view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
At the very least they messed up the combat controls. Legend's combat was actually quite fun, which has always been a weak point in TR. The camera kept far away and lara was able to leap around and move quickly. TRU by comparison is sluggish... it feels more like combat in Resident Evil 4/5, which isn't suited to Tomb Raider where Lara is supposed to be able to jump and dodge quickly. I never escape getting hit by at least one tiger in Thailand because Lara just doesn't move or roll fast enough like she did in Legend.
Totally agree about the tigers: Lara should have been able to evade them, but they didn't give her the moves to do so. Even if you reacted in time, your movements were too small to take you out of range.

The combat is simply underbuilt. Why they put in a stupid kick and no cover option when you're fighting humans is beyond me. At least they made Lara turn towards the enemy when she draws pistols. TRA drove me bananas because she wouldn't automatically turn towards the nearest enemy when she drew pistols. Obviously, I want to shoot at an enemy in combat. Obvious intent should be obvious.

I personally found her more responsive in TRU because they put in some cancel frames to stop her animations. I found TRA frustrating because I was always waiting on Lara to finish some animation.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-17, 12:38   #26
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantcookie View Post
If they employed motion Capture technology then why are the animations in TRU so bloody awful?

I thought developers use motion capture to IMPROVE their animations; rather than utterly destroy them?

TRUs animations are horrendous. So many missing transitional frames. Clunky. Disjointed... EW

Such a shame...
The most common theory is that the motion-captured movements were too slow for Crystal's liking so they sped them up (by removing frames, I guess) but that, of course, made many of them look less natural.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-17, 18:15   #27
tomee

The grapple mechanics for traversing was hot garbage. They were honestly all over the place and they weren't that excellent in TRA either. The combat was another weak point for TRU, it was just really really off. Her movements were so sluggish, she lost a great deal of her agility that made the TRL/TRA combat so sweet.

The rest of the controls worked fine, in my opinion. The camera should've been better, but I don't think that's a control issue.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-17, 17:00   #28
LaraDuh

the mo cap was a good idea but lara just looked jerky in most of the animations. especially the dive.
LaraDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 11:33   #29
ThatSassyKid

How ****ing beautiful is the sliding animation, though?
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 11:41   #30
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
How ****ing beautiful is the sliding animation, though?
Yes ! and I like her wall-to-wall jumps animation too , the rest (combined with the awful camera) are utter garbage .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote