Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 23-12-16, 11:08   #11
Mani_Man

You cant deny that many games we played many years ago, havent aged that well.
But those games are not meant to live up to standards from nowadays.
Those games from the past, have done everything they can with the possibilites that they have...to think that they could hold up so well in this day and age...is impossible.

All those games have their well deserved place in history.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-16, 12:01   #12
ESCachuli

I can agree that many games havent aged well, but when I replay them I realize they arent that good, at least for today standars. That doesnt happen to me with Tomb Raider. I dont find the gameplay aged at all. Maybe the tank controls are hard for dumby-today gamers who like everything magnetic and automatic. But thats their bussiness.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-16, 12:44   #13
Lara's home

I love how people here go on about insulting others who dislike the tank controls. I've completed every main game except TR4, and the controls are bad in the Core games. Even after 'learning' them, they are bad.

Last edited by Lara's home; 23-12-16 at 12:45.
Lara's home is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-16, 13:10   #14
Mani_Man

Tank controls have little to do with being difficult or so.
Its mainly about the fact that they give you less control itself over the character.
So yeah, tank controls were bad and will always be a bad thing...except if you play a game that involves an actual tank.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-16, 13:37   #15
SarahPilko

Oh God, how did any of these games made to the list? The author is blinded by modern gaming... GTA III is still very much playable, classic Tomb Raiders is one of the best franchise ever, why is Uncharted even there? Goldeneye 007 is just a FPS I just don't see how that aged, meanwhile other FPS games like Half Life aren't? Oh look, another bash on tank controls on Resident Evil, no surprise there from the author. Metroid? Well it is a 2D game, what did the author expect? If Super Mario can be played very much now, why can't Metroid?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with tank controls. This article is a bloody joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRaider4Life View Post
To be honest, if you can't deal with tank controls then you shouldn't be playing video games.
I couldn't agree more. Modern gaming is just more casual and softer on the players these days. This does not mean the older games are not playable nor fun.
SarahPilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-16, 13:56   #16
ESCachuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
I love how people here go on about insulting others who dislike the tank controls. I've completed every main game except TR4, and the controls are bad in the Core games. Even after 'learning' them, they are bad.
No, they arent.

Mani_Man, that's not true. In fact, they let you totally in control of the character, you are responsible of EVERY move.

I dont want tank controls back, but they arent bad. I want to be more in control of the actions of Lara, and less automatization. I find those are bad controls, because you dont control the character.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-16, 13:58   #17
Quebsenuef

My mom actually can't handle/learn controls for the new TR games but she can pick up Classic TR D-Pad PlayStation controls just fine, even after 10 years of not playing them. I'd like to think it's bc the tank controls are just simple for some people to pick up and more difficult for others. I don't think it's the games fault.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-16, 14:29   #18
trfanX34

Am I the only one who's never had a problem with the controls in the classics? I've always found them so intuitive and dynamic, ever since I started playing TR to this day.
trfanX34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-16, 15:08   #19
Tyrannosaurus

It's quite depressing to see how modern culture perceives (and misunderstands) the TR franchise. This thread at the Escapist forums is infuriating to read, as it's mostly discussed by people who didn't play the original games much. The original poster asks the question "Why does Tomb Raider get away with it?", by which he means that the newest TR series is nothing like the originals in terms of gameplay, and the newest Lara isn't much like Lara at all. The real (and obvious) answer to the original poster's question is because the newest game tapped into a broader demographic, and the majority of TR fans are now new to the franchise, sort of like the explosion of the Fallout series after the third game. But most of the responses are asinine things like "Because it's the first TR game that's actually good, and this Lara is a real person now instead of a pair of pixelated boobs for adolescent boys, LOL!"

While that doesn't describe the tone of Cheat Sheet's article, I don't think it's charitable enough to the original game, either. The praise simply amounts to "Well, it was one of the first of its kind, give it credit for experimenting." Yes it was, except I remember reading reviews in gaming magazines that tore apart the other 3rd person action-adventure games that had far worse control schemes and explicitly comparing them to TR for having a much simpler and more refined one. Does anyone remember Die By The Sword? Or Space Bunnies Must Die? I also remember the games that crudely mimicked TR, but used the engines from FPS games to do this, resulting in bland and uninspired gameplay. No one is talking about those games now, with the possible exception of American McGee's Alice, though that game received the praise it did almost solely due to art direction.

I've only ever played the Core era TR games on the PC, and I never had a problem with the controls except in AOD. But I've heard they were much worse on the PS1. Still, I hate the controls in the LAU trilogy. The combination of being lightning-fast and incredibly clumsy almost always sent me into a towering rage. The automation and inconsistency didn't help matters, either. I was convinced for a while that modern analogue control schemes were garbage until I played TR2013, where that sort of thing actually worked.

But regarding the old control scheme, here's a link to a video that I've posted in the past, and one that clearly respects the original TR while showing sympathy for the modern gamers who find the control unpalatable:

Last edited by Tyrannosaurus; 23-12-16 at 15:54.
Tyrannosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-16, 15:46   #20
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
And now tell us why.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote