Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 18-07-18, 11:11   #1
Costel

Default When does criticism turns into hatred?

Every person has the right to criticize and dislike anything. There should not be any debate about this.
But when does criticism become hate?
I think it does in the moment when every aspect of everything is criticize, every minor detail is put under the microscope. It does when you question and disagree with every minor decision, gesture and word of the main character. It turns in hate when you criticize the character for something but praise other character from another game, movie, book for the exact same thing. It become hate when you don˙t find joy in that thing but you keep coming back to talk bad about it. When you spend more and more time criticizing something then you do enjoying things that you actually like.
What do you think?
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 11:16   #2
Yeauxleaux

I only think it's "hate" when you go to personal insults. It's when you just come off overly vitriolic and bitter in how you talk about someone/thing.

Hate/hater/hating in over-used though. I do think it's ok and legitimate to strongly dislike a piece of work that was made, to the point where you think it's bad. People have a right to their opinions and if they genuinely feel something isn't very redeemable, and they don't even know where to start being constructive about it, then it is what it is.

I do think people should try to give constructive criticism though. If something is bad, say why it's bad and how you think it could be improved.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 11:30   #3
biscuits

I honestly think the internet has turned us into thin skinned crybabies. We all seem to forget that we're talking about a VIDEO GAME. Video games don't have feelings. We pay for those games, therefore we can talk about it and judge it as a product. It's not hate, but rather people expressing their opinions. If people are allowed to express their positive opinions about something then why are negative thoughts barred out?

God has given us a beautiful gift: our mind. We can think with it and rationalize various things while doing creative things. And yet all we do is get buttflustered by the opinions of individuals who are on the other side of the world. At the end of the day, YOUR opinions matter the most. Most people here think TR2013 has a crap story. I think it's wonderful. A lot of people think NuLara sucks. I adore her. Most people around here treat Naughty Dog games as the second coming, I think they're garbage. You can still have nice and insightful conversations with people you disagree with.
This isn't aimed at you, but if we can't handle online opinions about a fictional character, how are we going to survive our day to day endeavours?

Last edited by biscuits; 18-07-18 at 11:32.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 15:38   #4
Dennis's Mom

I have to agree with Yeauxleaux that when it becomes personal and unrelated to the work is when it becomes unreasonable.

The problem is that people have become personally invested in the Things They Like and consider criticism of that Thing They Like as criticism of them for liking it.

I despise the Reboot games. They are poorly written and have little to no resemblance to the game I fell in love with.

If I say that, a lot of people take that personally, as if I am criticizing them for enjoying the games, which I'm not. Bully for them if they like them.

I'm just venting my frustration and disappointment at the loss of a game I loved. I feel like someone threw out the baby with the bathwater.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 16:09   #5
Costel

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I honestly think the internet has turned us into thin skinned crybabies. We all seem to forget that we're talking about a VIDEO GAME. Video games don't have feelings. We pay for those games, therefore we can talk about it and judge it as a product. It's not hate, but rather people expressing their opinions. If people are allowed to express their positive opinions about something then why are negative thoughts barred out?

God has given us a beautiful gift: our mind. We can think with it and rationalize various things while doing creative things. And yet all we do is get buttflustered by the opinions of individuals who are on the other side of the world. At the end of the day, YOUR opinions matter the most. Most people here think TR2013 has a crap story. I think it's wonderful. A lot of people think NuLara sucks. I adore her. Most people around here treat Naughty Dog games as the second coming, I think they're garbage. You can still have nice and insightful conversations with people you disagree with.
This isn't aimed at you, but if we can't handle online opinions about a fictional character, how are we going to survive our day to day endeavours?
This thread is not against criticism. I am trying to understand when it turns into hate. Is it good for sanity to spend so much time on something that you hate?
We all forget that we talk about a video game and a fictional character. Is enough to read hair and duals and short threads to see that the way we talk about Lara Croft is as if she is a living person that takes decisions by herself, that is her fault her hair is that big, that she decide to not wear shorts or take 2 handguns instead of one. When we discuss what she did during the story of the game we do it as if not a bunch of people programmed her what to do.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 16:15   #6
Blue_light

You can hate something, and still be constructive.
Even if every minor detail is criticized, it still can be constructive, and is still as valid as any other argument, if presented correctly.

Example 1: While I usually never have problems with shaky camera, for some reason the in-game slight wobble in TR2013's camera makes me feel like I'm about to faint (the first time I played, I thought I was playing drunk, again), and every time I replay that game, I have to readjust myself, because I always get disoriented.

Example 2: I hate when games force you to walk, or run slower when you want to speed things up. (TLoU, Uncharted, TR2013) And unskippable cutscenes, too (Dead Space trilogy, TR 4 - 5).

What you can't is:
- going personal;
- mindless insulting. Classic example of DmC hate: 'Donte sucks, he's gay.' Really makes it hard to take someone seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
It turns in hate when you criticize the character for something but praise other character from another game, movie, book for the exact same thing.
Depends on context. For one character it may be intentional, while for the other isn't.

Last edited by Blue_light; 18-07-18 at 17:02.
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 16:17   #7
Mickybyrne20

Some people who have no interest in the reboot, who do their best to discourage people from supporting it I'd consider as haters.

Anyone can critique any small detail they want, and I won't consider it hate so long as they don't try and boycott the product being sold.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 16:40   #8
NoahCrofRaider

I also agree with Yeauxleaux in that it only becomes hate when it turns into personal insults and such. Or, when people get so extremely offended at one’s opinion, and they try to “change” their opinion.

It’s sometimes hard for me to see the line between criticism and hate with certain people, probably just due to how they present their opinions even if nothing’s intended.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 17:12   #9
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
It’s sometimes hard for me to see the line between criticism and hate with certain people, probably just due to how they present their opinions even if nothing’s intended.
This too. What rubs people the wrong way isn't your opinions or whatever, but rather how you present it.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 17:14   #10
Maverin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_light View Post
I hate when games force you to walk, or run slower when you want to speed things up. (TLoU, Uncharted, TR2013) And unskippable cutscenes, too (Dead Space trilogy, TR 4 - 5).
Wow same! I absolutely hate those forced events. The walking parts in The Last of Us are horrifying, especially during replays. Sometimes, in order to remain in stealth you also had to listen to dialogues over and over and over again.. (ex. the library section in Pittsburgh).

As far as the unskippable cutscenes go, I never understood why you would force players to watch them. If they don't want to just give them the option to skip it, they paid for the game so at least let them play it in a way they enjoy the most I made it a habit to save immediately after every cutscene in TR4 and TR5 to avoid having to watch them again in case something went wrong like dying.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote