Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 29-11-16, 04:33   #1
ThatSassyKid

Default Getting a NTSC PS1 imported into a PAL region

Hey!
I'm really interested in picking up some NTSC PS1 games - I can already play my PAL PS1 games on my PS3, so that's not an issue. The issue herein, is that I can't run NTSC games on it, so how would I go about getting my hands on a NTSC PS1 console? The US wall sockets are different from ours so that would be a concern. I know absolutely nothing about this really. Any help would be appreciated
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-16, 05:09   #2
Polar

You live in Australia, right? I believe that Bunnings sell adaptors that will allow you to plug an NTSC PS1 into an Australian power point. They cost about 10 dollars.

As for buying a PS1 and it's games I'm not too sure but I think eBay and Amazon would be your best bet.
Polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-16, 05:21   #3
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
You live in Australia, right? I believe that Bunnings sell adaptors that will allow you to plug an NTSC PS1 into an Australian power point. They cost about 10 dollars.

As for buying a PS1 and it's games I'm not too sure but I think eBay and Amazon would be your best bet.
Wow, I had no idea Bunnings sold them! Thanks a lot! I'm sure I can find a NTSC PS1 online, it's all the other stuff I'm concerned about haha. Power cord, getting it to work, etc
Old 29-11-16, 06:12   #4
PS3_Gamer

There are some TVs that are able to display both PAL en NTSC signals but others dont. I live in north america and I had to buy a converter to play PAL games on one of my TVs that only displays an NTSC signal.

Here is the device I bought on Amazon Canada and it works pretty well. I guess you could buy a similar device on other Amazon sites around the world if your TV is not able to display an NTSC signal:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
PS3_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-16, 06:15   #5
ozzman

the best part about PS3 is you can play all region PS3 games and Blurays, so i was able to import Japanese only titles and be able to play them, i've been trying to get a Japanese PS2 so i can order some japanese versions of games as a collection
ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-16, 07:04   #6
voltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
the best part about PS3 is you can play all region PS3 games and Blurays, so i was able to import Japanese only titles and be able to play them, i've been trying to get a Japanese PS2 so i can order some japanese versions of games as a collection
PS3 also gives +2 frames input lag, so let me know if you're ok adding that on top of your laggy HDTV.
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-16, 07:09   #7
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
the best part about PS3 is you can play all region PS3 games and Blurays
Yeah but not PS1 games haha, they're still region locked.
Old 29-11-16, 07:18   #8
domino92

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltz View Post
PS3 also gives +2 frames input lag, just so you're aware if input lag is a big concern for you.
I noticed a problem with the grammar in your post, so I added some politeness to fix it.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-16, 07:40   #9
voltz

^ cute

Most tv's nowadays have an inherent 6-12 frames, so what's an added +2 gonna do?

Last edited by voltz; 29-11-16 at 07:44.
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-16, 10:01   #10
Classic98
Inactive

Where've you got this idea from, Sassy ??

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. All this PAL 50Hz/NTSC 60 Hz kind of stuff is way past. You may go to all the trouble of importing and then decide that it wasn't really worth it after all. And it may turn out to be fairly expensive. i.e can't find ntsc games locally ?? That means you've got expensive postage, and maybe import charges too, if you're buying from the US.
I always buy and play PAL if the game came out in PAL format. The main reason for going ntsc is if you want to play/collect PS1 rpg's, of which there are a considerable number that were never released on PAL (and also a few japanese "shmup" ntsc games too. Jap rpg's are a bit of a problem for obvious reasons). But again, these games are pricey.
Any chance of picking up an old PAL ps1 machine at a local retro games shop ?? It might be chipped. If there is a local retro shop near you, have a word with the person in there about it, before you spend any dosh.

Last edited by Classic98; 29-11-16 at 12:24.
Classic98 is offline   Reply With Quote