Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 15-12-08, 17:36   #11
Laras man
Inactive

Yeah, There was a Saint Francis. The building no way. or maybe..
Laras man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-08, 00:18   #12
Bumio

i remember one time i accidentally found this castle or church, cant remember now, which looked exactly like st francis folly. i was amazed, my first thought was 'so thats where they got their inspiration' it's sad that i cant remember the name of it, also can't find it again
Bumio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-08, 01:13   #13
KurtisandLara
Golden

After reading Bumios post i went to google images and googled "St. Francis Folly and got TRA stuff and about half way down page 1 this came up. According to the Caption on the image its the "st francis of Assisi Church built in..." cuts off
http://www.geocities.com/nnhist_dist...st_francis.jpg

EDIT: I was reading the page and the image is from culumbus ohio so never mind that picture rofl.

But thers st francis of assisi and theres the old king named st francis.
KurtisandLara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-08, 03:03   #14
Jayme17UK

A Folly is defined as:

Purely decorative building, without function, such as the Gothic ruins built to romanticise parks and gardens in 18 th century England. Follies are often found in formal English gardens.

A Folly in relation to a person is:

the trait of acting stupidly or rashly and foolish or senseless behaviour

I think its a pun , but its pretty clear that the building itself was pointless, the word folly in reference to behaviour and this building could be a comment upon St Francis himself or maybe even Lara because they are typically found in formal ENGLISH gardens.

Last edited by Jayme17UK; 16-12-08 at 03:09.
Jayme17UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-08, 06:10   #15
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

didn't it all lead up to Tihocan's tomb? The whole point of the building, i thought was to protect his tomb.
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-08, 01:02   #16
Jayme17UK

No it lead to the colleseum for some reason which in turn led to Midas's palace ... the fact that the colleseum is in rome and Midas is a greek myth ... but meh cant expect it to be that accurate it is after all only a game
Old 20-12-08, 20:13   #17
gozzi85

in TRA there is a mash between Roman architecture (the Colusseum f.e.) and Greek architecture (Mida's Palace f.e.). Sn. Francis is an italian saint of the 1200 and he is the protector of animals.
I know because I'm am italian too.
gozzi85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-08, 00:07   #18
Jayme17UK

Yes ... I was on about the FOLLY part of the name ... meaning to act foolishly or a big decorative but useless building (the royal observatory in greenwhich being one of them - seen as it doesn't have a window facing north! therefore it cannot do what its supposed to lol)
Old 11-01-09, 23:11   #19
allie9x

Well yeah it can be real, they could just base some stuff on it, but of course its not gonna be like the one in game. In a lot of TR's there are a lot in real life that are different. The entrace to Xibalba is in underworld, but in real life, it has been found in narrow underwater caves
allie9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 23:17   #20
allie9x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumio View Post
i remember one time i accidentally found this castle or church, cant remember now, which looked exactly like st francis folly. i was amazed, my first thought was 'so thats where they got their inspiration' it's sad that i cant remember the name of it, also can't find it again
Look around the area of Pellopeneese in Greece... i think, I probs should confirm but I think it was that area. But there is definitely a building that does look like it there!

A lot of the ruins in game are real. Angkor Wat in Cambodia, well was Angkor Wat in LR, and a lot of it was used in Thailand of Underworld. And mayan ruins are simalar to those in Mexico, the Karnak temple of Luxor is in LR too [although it does look a bit different in real life so thats more of an exception] .. theres reference photos for Underworld that will show you

I'm guessing with this one with my previous post

Last edited by allie9x; 11-01-09 at 23:20.
allie9x is offline   Reply With Quote