Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 14-07-18, 18:33   #31
Legends

The whole story of the game is pretty bad. Lara being a fugitive while being framed for Von Croy's murder... It's just a complete waste of both characters and very contradicting to the characters in The Last Revelation and Chronicles. I really didn't need more Von Croy after Chronicles. Just give me a new adventure, not this revenge, fugitive crap. To say that it's weird is an understatement. Core Design apparently lost both the ability to write a decent story and make a working gaming engine here. Eidos made sure this game would fail though, by not allowing Core to "complete" it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabani33 View Post
I heard about this part of the story that got scrapped. However it still baffles me why Lara insists that Werner left her when he tried to convince her to come back from the tribe people. This is out of character for her to have this kind of attitude. Amanda from Legend acted in the same manner to Lara as well, she saw Lara in front of her trying so hard to free from drowning.
This always particularly bothered me with AoD. What happened to the writing here? This was the first time I really felt like Lara wasn't really Lara. What kind of dumbass character is this? "you didn't come back for me..."

Last edited by Legends; 14-07-18 at 18:35.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 19:53   #32
Grimaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
The whole story of the game is pretty bad. Lara being a fugitive while being framed for Von Croy's murder... It's just a complete waste of both characters and very contradicting to the characters in The Last Revelation and Chronicles.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t find AoD particularly well written. The premise itself doesn’t work for me; what tension is there in Lara Croft being framed for murder, of a man that was such a creeper when she was a teenager no less? Why would she take a brush with death so personally that she’d become so bratty and sensitive over it? Such a strange direction.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 20:10   #33
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t find AoD particularly well written. The premise itself doesn’t work for me; what tension is there in Lara Croft being framed for murder, of a man that was such a creeper when she was a teenager no less? Why would she take a brush with death so personally that she’d become so bratty and sensitive over it? Such a strange direction.
While I'm not an expert on this sorta stuff, from what I've heard, people can find a thril in danger, like a gun fight or skydiving, I'd imagine being burried alive under a Pyramid slowly dying of Hunger/Thrist would be a different experience.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 20:20   #34
Grimaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
While I'm not an expert on this sorta stuff, from what I've heard, people can find a thril in danger, like a gun fight or skydiving, I'd imagine being burried alive under a Pyramid slowly dying of Hunger/Thrist would be a different experience.
It’s her own fault for going on that kind of adventure. That’s the risk she enjoys avoiding, hell, surviving the Himalayas was the making of her, so she should at least take it on the chin when it finally catches up to her, but instead it’s Werner’s fault and out comes the edgy mascara.

Classic Lara in her beginnings emerged from something serious a liberated, powerful person. AoD Lara in her prime (TR4) was reduced to sluggish movements and got her feelings hurt, which is...not very Lara-like.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 20:44   #35
NoahCrofRaider

*AoD fan comes into here and sees hate on the story*

In all seriousness and to answer the OP’s question, I think their relationship was incredibly messed up, especially in AoD. It made no sense for her to be upset with him. Heck, they could’ve had the same premise, but made Lara not be mad at Werner and instead, they were just catching up or talking about the Obscura Paintings.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 22:01   #36
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
AoD isn't greatly written at all. Maybe it's easy to ignore because of all the other problems with the game, but it's a complete shift in the writing from previous entries, even Chronicles. They tried to make it complicated and interesting, but it just became messy and confusing. They should have stayed with the formula that works; Lara seeks out a new adventure. From TR1-5 it was all about the treasure and going on the adventure that was the drive. In AoD it's Lara's story that's the drive, much like in the reboot. We don't really need to know too much about Lara. We know what we "need" to know. Tell me a story about the treasure and why it's special. Then the adventure begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
A revenge plot is still out of charterer in my mind for Lara. Or at the very least that's not a part I need to see, the whole appeal of the series is adventure and a cool charterer. Lara is neither in AoD.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 23:54   #37
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
*AoD fan comes into here and sees hate on the story*

In all seriousness and to answer the OP’s question, I think their relationship was incredibly messed up, especially in AoD. It made no sense for her to be upset with him. Heck, they could’ve had the same premise, but made Lara not be mad at Werner and instead, they were just catching up or talking about the Obscura Paintings.
Random, but I love when I post a gif and then see it bounce around the forum several times in the following days

Guess I start trends

Anyway I assume part of the mess in AoD was due to how rushed things were. With how they had to rush the game out unfinished, certain things did have to be cropped out, which meant certain things got left unexplained. Maybe if they did have a bit more of a prologue, they could have explained why Lara was so angry at Werner and given a better explanation.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-18, 10:30   #38
Helegad

"Egypt, Jean-Yves. You left me there."

If you mentally replace Von Croy with Jean-Yves in AOD, it makes a bit more sense.
Helegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-18, 19:22   #39
SLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
It made no sense for her to be upset with him.
He was upset with her even though she went back to save him in Cambodia. It's the same scenario with Egypt and makes perfect sense to me.

They were both irrational and it's just history repeating itself.

Edit: We go through TR4 thinking the game is just another adventure and Lara's trying to save the world from Seth, when the game is actually about Lara's origins as a Tomb Raider and her complicated relationship with her mentor. Lara's adventures end exactly the way they started.

They are both very alike, and that's why things are complicated.

Lara and Werner relationship is often overlooked by the fans, I'm glad it was brought up for discussion. This is probably my 3rd time trying to write a reply.

Last edited by SLAYER; 28-08-18 at 19:38.
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-18, 20:04   #40
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER View Post
He was upset with her even though she went back to save him in Cambodia. It's the same scenario with Egypt and makes perfect sense to me.

They were both irrational and it's just history repeating itself.

Edit: We go through TR4 thinking the game is just another adventure and Lara's trying to save the world from Seth, when the game is actually about Lara's origins as a Tomb Raider and her complicated relationship with her mentor. Lara's adventures end exactly the way they started.

They are both very alike, and that's why things are complicated.

Lara and Werner relationship is often overlooked by the fans, I'm glad it was brought up for discussion. This is probably my 3rd time trying to write a reply.
Hmm, interesting. I hadn’t totally thought about it that way. Thanks for clearing that up.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote