Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 22-03-18, 00:47   #351
Peixoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderJones View Post
A FLAC wrapper is already available on page 6 of the same thread for LateRaider's mansion mod for gold. Can't blame you for not finding it though as it was hidden. It works on both the base game and gold.
I also have problems making Arsunt's exe work with this patch. Perhaps the user said it works was actually asking if you, Peixoto, could make it work and you misunderstood or maybe he was jumping to conclusions. I've already tried all uploaded versions of his patch.
Maybe, it was VictorXD, just ask him

Last edited by Peixoto; 22-03-18 at 03:27.
Peixoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-18, 02:09   #352
VictorXD

I'm here, and I have to say TR2 still works perfectly with Arsunt's .exe + Peixoto's patch. HD textures and all.

Maybe it's your pc? I'm running on 32bit Vista.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-18, 09:26   #353
Famicom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
I'm here, and I have to say TR2 still works perfectly with Arsunt's .exe + Peixoto's patch. HD textures and all.

Maybe it's your pc? I'm running on 32bit Vista.
I'm on windows 10 64bit. I really would love it to work for me....
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-18, 10:48   #354
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peixoto View Post
I don't thing that actually fog, but just how polygons are lit. Just disableing it won't help, the draw distance must be increased as well. For now, i'm not thinking about working on this
Confirmed. Anyway, if you will manage to implement such feature in your project, I could help you to inject right places, because I have done this feature in TR2Main already.
Quote:
I never tried arsunt's exe really, but i was told my patch worked with it and received a requested to add an option to disable widescreen and the inventory background.
Ok, I understand why some people prefer TR1 style transparent inventory background, It's in my ToDo list. But why they want to disable widescreen? The game is ugly when it's stretched.
Quote:
Since arsunt's exe is a work in progress, there is no sense in fixing the compatibility of my patch with it now, just for it to break again latter. Still, i will maintain that option, but remove mention to arsun't exe in the help
Sure. I just wanted to say that there is no magic in exe itself. Exe is almost original 1997 one, except section flags, import table slight changes, manifest resource. The whole magic is inside TR2Main.dll. Exe used just as global variable storage and also it is some sort of a static library for TR2Main.dll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famicom View Post
I'm on windows 10 64bit. I really would love it to work for me....
Try the latest dll + the oldest exe without manifest inside. The oldest exe can be downloaded here .
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-18, 15:34   #355
Famicom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
Try the latest dll + the oldest exe without manifest inside. The oldest exe can be downloaded here .
Need to test it a little further, but so far it works!!!

t.h.a.n.k. y.o.u.

Quote:
Ok, I understand why some people prefer TR1 style transparent inventory background, It's in my ToDo list. But why they want to disable widescreen? The game is ugly when it's stretched.
I think that option from Peixoto's patch disables his solution's widescreen and uses yours instead. I've just tried and with that option enabled you get widescreen and your inventory's waving background.

And about that, I found something curious: in Wreck of the Maria Doria level, when using Peixoto's patch alone (with default TR2Main.dll), inventory rolling menu appears upside down. It could be my installation, though. gotta check it out again.

BTW there's one more thing: when starting 40 fathoms level, there's no music -heart beat sound- unless: a) I enter and leave inventory, or b) I quit being underwater. Is this PC version's normal behavior? On psx, music didn't stop underwater, that's for sure.

Last edited by Famicom; 22-03-18 at 23:10.
Old 23-03-18, 23:58   #356
Peixoto

Can't figure out how to multi quote

- Indeed, disable widescreen is there because that option is meant to be used with Arsunt's exe. I will add a check to see if TR2Main.dll is loaded and disable the two thinks automatically

- The upside down inventory is a little easter egg of mine

- Black screen is caused by the non-exclusive fullscreen option, since the FMVs depend on the option in some systems, i will have to get it working, or replace Directshow for FMV playback with something more reliable

- Just having mp4 files in the FMV folder causes Arsunt's exe to skip FMVs with or without my patch

- I appreciate the offer regarding the draw distance, but i'm done with TR2, new features in my patch will only come as i port code from other patches( like MCi emulation)
Old 24-03-18, 03:18   #357
RaiderJones

Quote:
Ok, I understand why some people prefer TR1 style transparent inventory background, It's in my ToDo list.
That's actually the reason I wanted to know if you patch supported Golden Mask as the transparent inventory from Peixoto isn't compatible with LateRaider's Golden Mask house/mansion mod (which is the only way to run Golden Mask with digital versions). I though that if I couldn't get a transparent inventory then the cool PS waving one would be better then the plain PC default.
RaiderJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-18, 01:44   #358
Peixoto

Well, i fixed everything there was to fixe regarding compatibility with Arsunt`s solution, except a minor problem with textures getting lost if you change resolution.

On the weekend i will release the updated version
Old 27-03-18, 11:36   #359
Famicom

Quote:
The upside down inventory is a little easter egg of mine
Haha! You devil...

Quote:
Well, i fixed everything there was to fixe regarding compatibility with Arsunt`s solution, except a minor problem with textures getting lost if you change resolution.

On the weekend i will release the updated version
Old 29-03-18, 13:03   #360
Famicom

Ok, here's a thing (I hope my English is good enough for this):

I don't like music being in mp3 at 128 kbps, but that's precisely what you get with the multipatch/GOG solution (yes, it's that "cdaudio.mp3" file inside the "audio" folder). In my experience, those .ogg files within "music" folder that come with GOG version aren't really useful (I think). So if you want top music/audio quality, there are 3 options left:

a) Using Red Book CDDA by inserting the original CD or mounting a proper image on a virtual drive with the lowest letter.
b) Using higher bitrate mp3 files.
c) Using flac files.

a) The first option may be the most straightforward. But there are a couple of issues: first one being that if a music track starts playing, it won't mute no matter what, whether you enter inventory menu or you go underwater. No big deal to me: it has its advantages such as hearing the heartbeep track from the beginning at the 40 fathoms level. If I remember correctly, that's how psx version works (I remember starting 40 fathoms with heartbeep ambient track kicking in progressively when playing TR2 on psx as a kid, so that's the right behavior to my eye. But it seems that on the pc version things work in a bit different way). So if that is an advantage, there are also a few setbacks, such as ambient tracks (wind noise et al) not looping, i.e. just playing once, and some random halts right before a music track kicks in when you reach a music trigger. These don't happen all the time, mind you, but they do happen and are not very pleasant. I don't know if it was like that back in the day... I don't remember the game freezing for 1/4 sec or so on psx, so I guess that issue could not be such or it might only happen to me for some reason. Anyway.

b)You might as well use mp3 320 kbps files, which is my favourite solution, and I'll explain why. First thing you need is to create an "audio" folder and put there all the tracks named as follows: "02.mp3", "03,mp3", and so on. Those tracks can be grabbed here. The next thing you need is to download this, find "Audio Solution DLL Files" folder and copy both files "fmodex.dll" and "winmm.dll" into the game's main folder. Apart from that, you'll need to use Arsunt's exe (pretty much any version), and mp3 tracks will play and work as expected, unless... you combine it with Peixoto's patch. If that is your case -as is mine- you'll notice that everything that is supposed to work will work, everything but music tracks (but please notice you'll need to combine Arsun't oldest tomb2.exe (20171225) with Arsunt's latest TR2Main.dll (20180224) and latest Peixoto's or there will be sound but no picture. The same applies to FLAC solution, mind you. And also please notice all this is true as of today, but Peixoto will get it fixed by the end of this week, so stay tuned). And the solution to this is a bit funky: just rename the exe from "tomb2.exe" to something else, and I mean anything else. I don't know if by doing this you'll break something related to Arsunt's solution. I've been trying and some stuff such as increased drawing distance, widescreen and stuff still work, so I guess it will be all right, I'm not 100% sure though. Try it at your own risk. Why this happens I don't know, but the issue and the "solution" are the same for both mp3 and flac solutions, so if you're interested in using flac files now you now you'll face the same evil (as long as you combine Arsunt with Peixoto, that is). But now you know the, ahem, "solution". Hey, but it works. Hig bitrate mp3 is my solution of choice since it has enough quality for me and there's literally zero delays whatsoever. AFAIK this is a solution for Golden Mask, but works fine on the base game.

c) Using flac files: if you need all your audio bytes, this one might be your choice, but bear in mind audio will mute with a slight lag when you put the camera in-out of water or you enter the inventory, meaning it just won't mute instantly, but a few tenths of seconds later. This alone is enough reason for me to prefer mp3 320 solution over this one, but anyway. So for this one you'll need to rip your CDDA tracks into wav and then convert them to FLAC, rename them as follows: "Track02.flac", Track03.flac" etc., and put them in a "music" folder (see how both folder and files namings are different from the mp3 solution). Next thing you'll need is this wrapper by barracuda415. Put "libzplay.dll" and "winmm.dll" files into the main folder and you're good to go (but mind the issue if you are using Arsunt's + Peixoto's). Also please notice "winmm.dll" file from the mp3 solution is different from this one, and they're not interchangeable. AFAIK this is a solution for TombATI, but works on this game too!

I hope all this information is correct. At least this is what has worked for me. If you think there's anything wrong, mistaken, misleading, missing or whatever, please inform me. This forum has hundreds of threads with fixes and solutions that may or may not have been replaced by some other improved or newer ones, so you never know: for me it's been too much information in too little time, so please excuse me if I got anything wrong. In a few days I'll create a new thread with a complete in-depth fool-proof step-by-step installation and setup guide for both TR2 and Golden Mask with all the info I've been gathering in the last 3-4 weeks. And I hope I'll give credit to all and every one of those who made it possible. All the relevant information is so fragmented and hidden away that a lot of digging needs to be done to get everything work -in my case, that is. So I'll do what I'd like others to do in my case: put everything in order, together (with all the links and people properly credited) so you don't have to go tomb raiding before actually tomb raiding.

Last edited by Famicom; 31-03-18 at 00:22.