www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 11-07-18, 23:24   #16331
Yeauxleaux
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
Have you played the DLC, Yeauxleaux? Is it any good? The price is quite something :/ I wouldn't buy the Season pass, though. Paying for the extra scenarios alone makes more sense, money-wise.
I've only fully played the first of the two campaign add-ons ("The Hidden Ones"). I've started the second ("Curse of the Pharoahs") and seen a bit of what it has to offer, I do intend to finish it but my brother has borrowed my copy.

Both of the story-DLCs do open up a new fairly large area to explore (The Sinai and Upper Egypt, respectively), and both have their own little campaigns featuring a slightly older Bayek. Obviously neither are anywhere near as big as Lower Egypt in the game proper, but they're still pretty sizable with lots of content and side-activities packed in, in addition to the little campaigns. I got probably about 6-8 hours worth of gameplay (including the optional side-content) out of The Hidden Ones, with it nearly finished now.

In terms of gameplay and (to a large extent) content, I don't think there's anything really new, it's really just more of the same. If you really enjoyed the main game then it probably is worth it, I enjoyed The Hidden Ones and I'm sure I'll like the other one when I get around to it.

I haven't paid for any of the other DLCs, just the ones that add to the campaign and story with the new areas. None of the smaller pieces of DLC enticed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus-Goddess View Post
I'm not too far I don't think... still a lot of areas to explore that I can't really go to yet due to my level. I tried doing a Sobek temple "dungeon" to find an Ancient Tablet but I couldn't kill the dang crocodiles very easily since they were so much higher level than me lol. It's also weird to me they've gated off areas depending on levels much like an MMORPG as well, but it isn't that big of a deal. I'll just return to it once I'm the proper level.
That's strange, I don't remember higher-difficulty areas being locked off when I played through it back in January. That must be a recent patch I'm guessing.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 11-07-18 at 23:26.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-18, 23:49   #16332
Catapharact
Tomb Raider

Arrow

If fans of Assassin's Creed loved the Open World concept of Origins, they should give Ghost Recon: Wildlands a go. Its pretty much Assassin's Creed meets Sicario meets 3rd/First Person FPS with realistic Projectile Physics.

Much like Assassin's Creed, there are elements of the repetitive game play interms of the side quests, tailing and protecting Targets but for the most part, its a fun game to play. Really recommend it.
Old 12-07-18, 00:09   #16333
Horus-Goddess
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
That's strange, I don't remember higher-difficulty areas being locked off when I played through it back in January. That must be a recent patch I'm guessing.
It wasn't literally blocked off, but specifically I remember wandering into one area where it said "recommended level 45" or something like that. I didn't proceed because I didn't want to get myself killed. I thought I could handle level 30 stuff as a level 26, but even that wasn't close enough to it.
Old 12-07-18, 08:22   #16334
Mani_Man
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapharact View Post
If fans of Assassin's Creed loved the Open World concept of Origins, they should give Ghost Recon: Wildlands a go. Its pretty much Assassin's Creed meets Sicario meets 3rd/First Person FPS with realistic Projectile Physics.

Much like Assassin's Creed, there are elements of the repetitive game play interms of the side quests, tailing and protecting Targets but for the most part, its a fun game to play. Really recommend it.
I played it with my Brother for weeks and thats pretty much the only reason we stuck with it.
Playing it alone with the AI would have made us throw the game away very early.
It was fun playing together, doing all sorts of stuff but the game itself doesnt offer too much...certainly not as much as AC i think.

You have around 400 missions(side/main)i think but stretched out over 5 mission types from how it felt.
There is not too much to see or explore outside of the camps etc filled with enemies.

Its a incredible fun game...if you have real people to play with.
Otherwise i wouldnt really recommend it personally.
Mani_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-18, 23:35   #16335
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
In terms of gameplay and (to a large extent) content, I don't think there's anything really new, it's really just more of the same. If you really enjoyed the main game then it probably is worth it, I enjoyed The Hidden Ones and I'm sure I'll like the other one when I get around to it.
I might very well buy them, I'm in quite an AC mood Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I just got the Platinum! It took me 57 hours 32 minutes. The Old Habits trophy, that has you completing every location, must have taken me about 20 hours I think They should have done something to make the Uncompleted Location mark stand out much more, my eyesight would have appreciated it.

I'm happy I didn't change the difficulty: I set it on Hard and it stayed like that for the entire game, even during the Elephant encounters. I found it really well balanced on Hard, it was always satisfying. I'm curious about Nightmare mode...but not curious enough to try it any time soon

Oh, and Bayek is my new favourite assassin.

Last edited by Yuna´s Wish; 15-07-18 at 23:36.
Yuna´s Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-18, 05:50   #16336
jarekhanzelka
Tomb Raider

Quote:
I'm happy I didn't change the difficulty: I set it on Hard and it stayed like that for the entire game, even during the Elephant encounters. I found it really well balanced on Hard, it was always satisfying. I'm curious about Nightmare mode...but not curious enough to try it any time soon
I beat it on Nightmare, and 'well balanced' never really came to my mind. The elephant encounters were truly a nightmare even when revisiting them 5 levels higher than they were - each one would still take 10-15 minutes to take down, and three hits would still kill me. Pretty much everything else, however, becomes ridiculously easy once you start approaching the level cap. By the time it happens, you have such sweet gear and are so well trained by dozens of hours of struggle, basically nothing but the elephants (and the god boss fights) can even dream of doing anything to you.
Old 17-07-18, 21:47   #16337
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarekhanzelka View Post
I beat it on Nightmare, and 'well balanced' never really came to my mind. The elephant encounters were truly a nightmare even when revisiting them 5 levels higher than they were - each one would still take 10-15 minutes to take down, and three hits would still kill me. Pretty much everything else, however, becomes ridiculously easy once you start approaching the level cap. By the time it happens, you have such sweet gear and are so well trained by dozens of hours of struggle, basically nothing but the elephants (and the god boss fights) can even dream of doing anything to you.
You don't make Nightmare mode sound very tempting...

I think it's so hard to balance this kind of games. They usually live up to what their difficulty intends to at the beginning, but then they end up horribly easy. The Witcher 3, as much as I love it, was exactly like this on Death March pretty much after 3 or 4 hours. And so was Dragon Age Inquisition after the fight in Haven. The unbelievable mount of sidequests and trying to do them all while you are not overpowered while also paying attention to the main quest...

...I'm still to come across with an open world game that manages this much better.
Old 17-07-18, 21:51   #16338
Catapharact
Tomb Raider

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
I played it with my Brother for weeks and thats pretty much the only reason we stuck with it.
Playing it alone with the AI would have made us throw the game away very early.
I am actually playing it with an A.I. squad and I gotta say, I have no complaints . Its probably because I put in a lot of time getting the best equipment in the game (seriously, going on the UNIDAD Jaguar MOB to get the MK-17 *Cough* SCAR-H *Cough* was a hell of run on hard mode but I managed to pull it off.)

Best Loadout; Silenced Tar-21 (Tavor) with the MK-17 (SCAR-H) as the secondary. You will pretty much shoot your way through anything with these two guns.

I just use my A.I. squad to thin the heard down using Sync Shots before marching into a base. I plan on solo-ing most of the game .

Last edited by Catapharact; 17-07-18 at 21:56.
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-18, 23:25   #16339
jarekhanzelka
Tomb Raider

Quote:
You don't make Nightmare mode sound very tempting...

I think it's so hard to balance this kind of games. They usually live up to what their difficulty intends to at the beginning, but then they end up horribly easy. The Witcher 3, as much as I love it, was exactly like this on Death March pretty much after 3 or 4 hours. And so was Dragon Age Inquisition after the fight in Haven. The unbelievable mount of sidequests and trying to do them all while you are not overpowered while also paying attention to the main quest...

...I'm still to come across with an open world game that manages this much better.
Well it certainly took me longer than 3 to 4 hours to git gud at Witcher and find it easy on my first playthrough, but you're right, repeated playthroughs on Death March are always somewhat tough only in those first few hours.

You inspired me to go through my library of games to see if I could find one open world game which maintained a balanced difficulty throughout, and there's remarkably few that handled it well enough. Legend of Grimrock 2 would be a good example, it's a square-based open world dungeon crawler that's relentlessly tough all the way to the end. When it comes to more traditional takes on open world, however, I certainly struggle to find any examples.

I'm inclined to mention Arx Fatalis, which is technically open world as well, but it's also certainly more of a dungeon crawler breed of RPG, too, so the persistent difficulty largely stems from the fact it's incredibly easy to poorly develop your character, and much like LoG2 it's definitely more about stats than your actual skills. Yeah, I guess the first Dark Souls is the only real example I can think of (even though that's also technically a dungeon crawler, and only a semi-open world at that ).