Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics, Books and Novels

Old 18-02-16, 16:17   #161
Nigel Cassidy

I have read the comics today so I'm gonna write a little review on it * Spoilers ahead *

I usually don't bother with what I call 'auxiliary products' cause they usually aren't so great; made by freelance artists on commission without any creative spark. For that reason I have never read Mass Effect comics or Star Trek books either... In this case the artwork looked alright though, and since it is about LC's Lara I might as well support it.

Now the first thing I'd like to say, and this is what in my opinion makes the investment worth it, is that the artist knows how to draw Lara very well. Nine out ten times her face is beautifully drawn, although in the fourth part it sometimes slips into mediocrity, but the good drawing comes back in part five.

There is a lot of character and expression in her face, without overacting it, and I like it that for the most part she looks calm and friendly. They could have made the huge mistake of making her look angry and intense the whole time, but they didn't. So excellent job there. I think her face might even look better than on the storyboard imagines in Temple of Osiris.

I also like it very much that in this comic all the text from one character is placed in one or two balloons, like in European comics and some American ones like Donald Duck, instead of putting it in ten different small balloons as some other American comics do, with every other word printed in bold. That's so exhausting to read, so good job there as well.

But when it comes to the characters we're starting to get into trouble. None of them, not even Carter, have any personality to them. At the end there's a lot of people who show up for the final confrontation and I have no idea who they really are and why they are in this story. The Croatian people and the ones from Estonia, it seems like they contribute very little to the story and could have easily been removed. Instead I think there should have been a bigger role for Carters bird, whom I think also should have gotten a name. There's nothing of the comical dialogue that made Carter great in Temple and Lara is only the same person she has always been, but not in any remarkable way.

The story's basic premise is intriguing, but I feel more could have been done with it. I think the story spends too much time on filler and too little on Lara and Carter investigating the case. Actually, they hardly do any investigation at all; all of the information is just being told by the old guy with the ponytail. Show, don't tell! And by the way, how does he know? And who is this mister Green and how did he get involved? And what about that guy that recues them from the freezer (missed opportunity for a Winston joke, by the way) and then leaves them behind in the desert? And how is it possible that Lara lets herself being left behind in the desert? Kick him in the face and get back in the car!

So sadly I conclude that in the story and character department this is a typical auxiliary product after all. I'll give the story a five out of ten, and the artwork an eight, making for a six and a half overall, but I'll turn it into a seven for Lara's beautiful face.

7/10 it is then.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-16, 16:26   #162
Cezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
The Croatian people and the ones from Estonia
Estonia? Where were there people from Estonia in the comics?

Btw, do you know why did the guy in yellow shirt dive into the ocean and touch the skull? It was in issue #2.
Cezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-16, 16:36   #163
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar View Post
Estonia? Where were there people from Estonia in the comics?
In part 2 there's some people talking (no idea who they are and what they are doing there), and it says it is translated from Estonian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar View Post
Btw, do you know why did the guy in yellow shirt dive into the ocean and touch the skull? It was in issue #2.
When he's reaching his hand into the little cavern there's the black magic vapours that either go in or out of him...

Maybe it shows him becoming possessed? That's my best guess.

Last edited by Nigel Cassidy; 18-02-16 at 16:37.
Old 15-06-16, 03:18   #164
Shark_Blade

It's weird that #5 is $3.99 whereas the other comics are priced at $1.99.

Well I already have #1-4 I guess I should take the final plunge.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-16, 12:43   #165
lizardspock110

^And how was it? did you enjoy it?
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-16, 12:34   #166
Shark_Blade

Overall yes. The villain is a bit cliche, but I'm actually sadden that the falcon got hurt lol (he's fine in the end). I like the action sequence parts in the plot.

And even though I don't like Lara having partner/sidekick, I think Carter is quite nice to have around surprisingly. He's not annoying like Zip and Alister. Worth my time and its's a treat for me reading this series.

My iPad shows next recommendation : Tomb Raider 2 #1 - I read the preview where Lara was falling down a dark hole and in her Reboot outfit. After that she's in a museum or something, wearing a skirt lol.

Last edited by Shark_Blade; 17-06-16 at 12:36.
Old 17-06-16, 12:49   #167
Nigel Cassidy

I do like Carter, but he wasn't funny in this comic like he was in Temple.

One thing that kinda bothers me though... And oh yeah, spoilers ahead:

In part 3 when ponytail guy gets possessed by the prehistoric ghost he orders his men to lock Lara and Carter inside the vault. And why does Lara allow this to happen? Yeah she protests it, but has she forgotten that she still has her guns? How about aiming those at ponytail guys henchmen? Or shooting them if you must - it's the world that is at stake here, and it's not exactly like those men are nice guys just doing their jobs; they know their boss wants you to freeze to death in that vault.

Just letting yourself be locked up; that's not how Lara Bloody Croft would react. And that's not even the only thing; later they are rescued by one of the henchmen who then puts them in a jeep and leaves them behind in the desert. Okay, not only has the henchman confusing motives: rescuing them from one deathtrap just to leave them to die somewhere else, but again, why doesn't Lara act? Kick the guys butt, get back into the jeep, and drive off.

Wandering in the desert and suffering from thirst is more up to Treboot Lara's alley. And that is because this Lara Croft had the abilities to prevent that from happening.
Old 17-06-16, 14:24   #168
Shark_Blade

Speaking of desert...

Shirtless Carter:

Lara looks great too.

I actually smiled at that part where Carter was trying to drink cactus' water and Lara stopped him.

And yes, drinking cactus' water could cause diarrhea (further dehydrate you), nausea, temporary paralysis and even kill you. Just discovered this. Wow.

Cactus Water Will Make You Sick

Wait Lara said she "tried it". Did she have diarrhea as a result lmao?

Anyway, these are among bizarre and useful knowledge I learned from tomb raider. Before this I thought punching a shark in TR2 movie was silly - turns out it really works form what I googled!

Last edited by Shark_Blade; 17-06-16 at 14:39.
Old 17-06-16, 14:36   #169
Nigel Cassidy

If Lara can defeat a giant watersnake and climb up an impossible to climb lavashaft I'm not really surprised that she can eat a cactus without problems.

I'm more surprised at Carter who grows an big muscled chest the moment he takes off his shirt and goes back to being an ordinary skinny guy when he puts it back on.
Old 17-06-16, 22:06   #170
CheshireBitch

Carter is soooooooooooooo hot !
CheshireBitch is online now   Reply With Quote