Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 26-04-18, 01:50   #1
PlumeEcarlate.

Default Who is your Lara Croft ?

Hello everyone. I am kindly back to ask you a deleted question slightly modified in my previous topic. "I have something to tell you." I would like to thank again those who rescued me and enjoy in a good mood a question of leisure.

Yes, I am aware that many topics have already seemed to focus on this question. But in reality, the forum will only question itself on a way you could see Lara Croft through the games, and recently also on a truth that will have sought its values ​​in the form of a poll on what could be the " ideal Lara Croft ".

The only trouble is that... If there were participants, they were only insignificant to the entire fan base of Tomb Raider that has with him thousands, maybe millions of faithful. Only 144 of these people around the world ... Have been able to answer this survey, which in any case ... Can not be representative of an eloquent result, for all of us.

But we were there, 144 people talking and discussing their favorite Lara and who waited impatiently for a result, for some disappointing, for some clearly justified and for others without any sense to the desired result that was to prove a " truth".

To these people, whose involvement has only been done in the shadows, I simply want to put their reasoning in the light and simply ask them a question. So that we can hear them not under the law of statistics, but with those of the words :

This question is very simple. And she is so very simply ...

"Who is your Lara Croft ... ? "

Your, Lara Croft ... The one that you always carry within you, the one whose unique characteristics makes you today and forever adore the character. ... Who is this character, if she was not a fictional being ... A human being ? Of flesh and bones.

I do not ask for any forced comparison with the films and video game versions. Just ... The imaginary Lara Croft who resides in your head. Cynical, romantic, emotional ... All Lara Croft are allowed to be an ideal Lara Croft on this topic. Fan of the Core era, LAU era and reboot, Warner, Top Cow, Dark Horse, Paramount... Everyone is welcome and equal here.

Let's start !

Last edited by PlumeEcarlate.; 26-04-18 at 02:04.
PlumeEcarlate. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-18, 07:20   #2
Soma Holiday

Rhona Mitra is 100 percent my lara. The face, the voice, her attitude and mannerisms. She's a bit older now but 18 years ago my god she was the perfect Lara.

Last edited by Soma Holiday; 26-04-18 at 07:33.
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-18, 08:07   #3
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
Rhona Mitra is 100 percent my lara. The face, the voice, her attitude and mannerisms. She's a bit older now but 18 years ago my god she was the perfect Lara.

I love Angelina in the movies, but I'd have loved to see Rhona take the role.

Anyway to me Lara is kind of an amalgamation of CORE and LAU Laras especially, since that's what I grew up with. At face value when it comes down to the actual games, I do view her as literally just a character. She's a fun larger-than-life one who is not supposed to reflect reality and I just take that for what it is.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 26-04-18 at 10:11.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-18, 09:55   #4
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumeEcarlate. View Post
"Who is your Lara Croft ... ? "

Your, Lara Croft ... The one that you always carry within you, the one whose unique characteristics makes you today and forever adore the character. ... Who is this character, if she was not a fictional being ... A human being ? Of flesh and bones.
She's not. 'My' Lara is a larger than life character who doesn't belong in the real world; she lives in her own universe were the rules of reality are different and fantastical things happen.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-18, 10:08   #5
Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
She's not. 'My' Lara is a larger than life character who doesn't belong in the real world; she lives in her own universe were the rules of reality are different and fantastical things happen.
I think they just mean when you picture lara in your head whats your ideal version you see? What version or combination of versions, actress, art, etc.
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-18, 10:12   #6
Yeauxleaux

If we're gonna break it down that simply, then ideally I'd take almost 100% CORE Lara (Judith Gibbins voice) but with the model of Anniversary Lara
Old 26-04-18, 10:21   #7
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
I think they just mean when you picture lara in your head whats your ideal version you see?
I don't know: 'if she was not a fictional being' they said.
Old 26-04-18, 10:28   #8
PlumeEcarlate.

I must say that I am especially interested about the behavior of your Lara more than her forms.

Thank you for your answers. ^^ (fictional being or real being, Nigel. You Can describe both. ^^)

Last edited by PlumeEcarlate.; 26-04-18 at 10:30.
PlumeEcarlate. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-18, 10:40   #9
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumeEcarlate. View Post
I must say that I am especially interested about the behavior of your Lara more than her forms.

Thank you for your answers. ^^
Oh, well I did go into detail on that and then edited it out, because I thought you weren't asking for that haha

I interpret Lara as quite a tragic and dysfunctional character, at least in her backstory, whether you're considering the loss of her fiance and her being disowned in the CORE timeline, or the loss of her parents in later timelines. Because of this, she has a large void in her life that she's ever trying to fill, but can't quite seem to. This results in her behaviours we see, especially in the CORE era and LAU to some extent

- She feels she has to overcompensate and make up for her life's shortcomings, by getting competitive and pushing herself to extreme limits for self-improvement. She has to be the best at what she does; the most educated, the fittest physically, etc. She wants to be the best version of herself.
- Her adventures are her escape from everything. They help her run from her dysfunction for a while, distract herself from what's missing in her life and to give her some adrenaline rush. It's also a way out of quite ristrictive British aristocratic life, which still has narrow expectations of women in in real life.
- While she can certainly be sociable with her deadpan wit, flirtatiousness and charm, she does seem to be a loner who prefers her own company. She's almost certainly an introvert and finds prolonged social situations draining. I think she's likely cynical, perhaps even with a misanthropic streak. She probably has a "survival of the fittest" mentality and views excessive displays of emotion as weak, and finds people like that irritating to be around. Perhaps that's because she's buried her own emotions for so long and needs a special kind of person to come along and "crack" her (this could have been Kurtis Trent).

Like I said, if I was going to write a "fleshed out" version of especially CORE's Lara, I'd probably start with these themes. That would be my take on her, although I understand if people disagree.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 26-04-18 at 10:48.
Old 26-04-18, 11:28   #10
Nigel Cassidy

Alright well, 'my' Lara is basically the Legend model, which I think of as someone who has a burning passion for adventure, wants to get out there and explore, discover, put her courage and skills to the test, and would never let anything stop her for from achieving her goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
She has to be the best at what she does; the most educated, the fittest physically, etc. She wants to be the best version of herself.
That's exactly what I think: she wants to be best version of herself she can be, constantly improving herself, getting out of her comfort zone and conquering the unknown. That by the way is why I can never see her as a feminist or an SJW, who want to turn the entire world into their own comfort zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
- Her adventures are her escape from everything. They help her run from her dysfunction for a while, distract herself from what's missing in her life and to give her some adrenaline rush. It's also a way out of quite ristrictive British aristocratic life, which still has narrow expectations of women in in real life.
That I disagree with: to me Lara never has any discontent with her aristocratic environment, which in my opinion is a cliche out of every Titanic film anyway. More likely she is a holdover from the 19th century great white hunter archetype, an aristocrat who goes adventuring in far away lands for honour and glory.

Neither do I see her as a loner: she goes tomb raiding alone, yes, but that's not her entire life. She does make friendships with people wherever she goes: the big Japanese guy, the black girl in Bolivia.

And when being amongst people in the appropriate circumstances she does like to show some skin. Which is something that many young men and women like to do even though society is getting ever more hostile against that, but then as I said before that wouldn't stop her.