Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 27-04-12, 07:11   #21
Survival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
true survival horror games this gen.
There is no such thing as "true survival horror". If you want to be THAT precise the only "true survival horror" are RE1,2,3 and CV. RE coined the term, so RE should be only games to use it. I have no problems calling the rest of the hundreds of games horror games, at least it shuts up those annoying people endlessly complaining about how survival horror turned into action horror. You can't turn from something when you weren't that something in the first place.

Last edited by Survival; 27-04-12 at 07:19.
Survival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-12, 11:13   #22
Megalith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survival View Post
There is no such thing as "true survival horror". If you want to be THAT precise the only "true survival horror" are RE1,2,3 and CV. RE coined the term, so RE should be only games to use it. I have no problems calling the rest of the hundreds of games horror games, at least it shuts up those annoying people endlessly complaining about how survival horror turned into action horror. You can't turn from something when you weren't that something in the first place.
For me the real horror are those annoying people who are calling action games as "horror".
And i never said we had lots of true survival horror games in the past.It's just that in this generation we only had one.

I hope Mikami surprises me with his concept,because to me the basis of all good horror games are the elements of surprise and originality.
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-12, 11:29   #23
Survival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
For me the real horror are those annoying people who are calling action games as "horror".
And i never said we had lots of true survival horror games in the past.It's just that in this generation we only had one.
First of all just FYI I wasn't talking about you, I never saw you complaining about that besides RE where it's true and where it matters. Second of all I have yet to see anyone calling action games as "horror". If it's horror themed it's a horror game no matter what the gameplay consists of. Survival Horror is just a niché subgenre where the focus actually is on scaring the player and limiting his abilities.

The real point is it's just a term coined by first Resident Evil and so in order to be "true survival horror game" the game would have to have fixed camera angles, prerendered backrounds, scarce ammo etc. Something even Silent Hill doesn't follow therefore isn't a "true survival horror game".
Old 27-04-12, 14:13   #24
Megalith

I wasn't talking about you either since i don't really follow the threads you usually post in,therefore i can't be sure for your opinions.I'm sorry if my post came as if i was talking about you.

I have seen many people calling games like Alan Wake,Dead Space and many other recent games as "horror" when in truth they are just action games covered with a coat of your usual hollywood "horror",devoid of any originality and true horror presentation.

Action and horror are two terms that in my opinion don't mix well in games,especially when the action element seems to be the emphasis of those games.Team Silent's SH and the Siren games for example both had action moments with combat but they were never the focus of the core gameplay.RE always had action (even the first ones) but they balanced it perfectly with a high scarcity of ammo.

My point was that we need more games like the original REs and SHs,the Siren games and Haunting Ground, which they were all original concepts and they either put the emphasis on survival (RE,HG,Siren) or/and in true horror (SH,Siren).
Hopefully Mikami's game will be more toward this direction,but i'm not holding my breath.
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-12, 14:50   #25
Survival

I see that our definition of "horror" goes in a different waysat certain places so lets just end this right here and save ourselves some trouble

Last edited by Survival; 27-04-12 at 15:07.
Old 27-04-12, 17:43   #26
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

Alan Wake is not survival horror to the full extent but it's still a survival horror game. Dead Space however is survival horror, it focuses a lot of survival and has loads of horror tones and themes. Let's just face it Megalith, you're a snob when it comes to gaming. There have been plenty of survival horror games out there, Downpour being one of the most recent ones. But because it's not made by the original Japanese developers you are going to blow it off and not even give it a chance. Like I said, you're a snob when it comes to gaming. I doubt this will be any better than Mikami's attempt at bringing back horror like he attempted with RE4.

Last edited by Carbonek_0051; 27-04-12 at 17:47.
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote