Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 08-07-17, 01:22   #1
CoTeCiO

Default Tomb Raider II High Resolution Icons

Hey everyone!

I don't know if anybody else has done something like this before, but since I couldn't find anything, I did it myself.

I created a replica of the main TR2 icon and two of the secondary icons (the TR2 executable has quite a lot of different icons to choose from) in 256x256 and 48x48 resolution, so they don't show up all blurry and pixelated on your desktop.

I would embed a picture of them here for you to see, but apparently PhotoBucket doesn't let you post images anymore, so I don't know what image host could do the job.

I tried to keep it as close as possible to the original, using official renders and the original fonts from the game. Unfortunately, it seems the main icon has a drawing of Lara instead of an actual render, so I picked the one that looked closest to the original. The secondary ones originate from a render, so those are far more accurate.

If you guys want, I can try to make some of the other icons available. I'm interested in doing the TR3 one, as Lara looks like a Simpson in that one!

Download link here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5V...ew?usp=sharing

EDIT: I did the TR3 icon as well. Because the original is 16 colors, it's hard to know what render they used for the icon, so I used the box art one, which seemed to be the one that kind of looked like the icon (because it's extremely hard to tell what on Earth is that thing in the icon) and did a complete set (256x256, 48x48, 32x32 and 16x16) of the icon in 32 bits. Get it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...m9qMWw3Sm9Zbkk

Last edited by CoTeCiO; 08-07-17 at 02:35. Reason: Added TR3 icon
CoTeCiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 11:34   #2
Dustie

Great idea! You can post images to imgur.

High-res icons are definitely welcome. What software did you use to put the images in the .ico format?

Maybe we can have an icon contest
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 11:51   #3
ANoDE
Golden

Very nice work! Thank you

@Dustie:
GIMP can export images as .ico
Each layer in the image is exported as a different "sub-icon". So if you have multiple layers with different resolutions, the final .ico file will contain appropriate images for all resolutions
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 19:23   #4
Dustie

^ Thanks, that's good to know.

Maybe someone can find the render for the TR2 icon... or maybe it's a screenshot from one of the FMVs...?
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 16:22   #5
Danath

Smile

What a great idea!

I'm glad that i've seen this thread before releasing my TR2 game! I'm going to use one of those icons for the .exe. Of course i'll give you credit.

Good job.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 16:45   #6
Caesum

Can you make such icons for TR1? I don't really mind TR2-5 having LQ icons, but it's really irritating when TR1 doesn't have any icon AT ALL!
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 18:01   #7
Danath

How can i apply it to Tomb2.exe? I cannot see the option for changing the icon on my game's folder, on Windows 7.
Old 11-07-17, 19:05   #8
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
How can i apply it to Tomb2.exe? I cannot see the option for changing the icon on my game's folder, on Windows 7.
If you want to change the icon on the Tomb Raider 2 FOLDER you should add a file called "Folder.jpg" to the folder. Windows will display this image as folder icon in this case.

The .ico file is intended as icon for shortcuts to tomb2.exe, not for the folder or the executable itself.
Old 11-07-17, 19:24   #9
Danath

I see, thanks.
Then it's no use, as i wanted the exe to have a different icon.
Old 11-07-17, 19:31   #10
ANoDE
Golden

There's a Software called 'ResHacker' that can do what you want

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/