www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 08-12-17, 21:33   #11
NoahCrofRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
About the idea of keeping TRL/TRA's animations... I don't know. If we're keeping all the new moves introduced in TRU, it would be certainly cool. However it's like being safe. I like that TRU is at the same time a sequel but want to be further. I think it was important for Crystal to experiment new things and technologies like the motion capture. The better solution imo, was to released the game one year latter, in 2009. This game absolutely need more development and budgets. Unfortunately, the XMAS'08 timeslot was far too important for Eidos...
It being released later would've been the better choice, yes. I don't hate what Underworld was doing in terms of gameplay, I just think it really required more polish. The animations are, imo, the main issue. If those were fixed and more fluid-looking, I would actually be fine.
Old 08-12-17, 23:44   #12
AimlessThunder
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
I remember my own personal rating for it was a solid 8, boosted from a 6 solely from the music and the sheer amount of explorability.
"Explore nothing, stop at everything!"

Nice review. The game deserves a solid 6,5, maybe a 7 if they included the DLC .
Old 18-12-17, 13:16   #13
JOHN30011887
Student

yeah i really wish we got the dlc's, been annoyed at that for years now
Old 28-12-17, 11:30   #14
JACOBryanBURNS
Gold Contributor

As can be expected, I echo Dennis’ Mom here. I only ever really remember how bad the story and plot is when I stop to actually think about it specifically, otherwise the good things about this game tend to occupy that space. It’s got some really cool Tomb Raider moments.

If I had to voice my biggest gripes (besides the cobbled together story), it would be that the environments really get kooky with design and are, at times, clearly just over designed so Lara has an obstacle. All those trillions of balance beams in Thailand became an annoying chore and because the level is so long, you really begin to realize that, “hey... this doesn’t make any sense at all except to provide tedium.” I think Thailnd is the worst offender but there are plenty of instances throughout the game like this.

The other gripe is the lazy level design where in just about every level, the puzzle asks that if you do a thing on the left, the so it too must also be done on the right. It just duplicates the puzzle in those instances and offers no real challenge beyond lengthening the time it takes to complete something and shortening my patience with bad design.

Other than that, I totally agree. I never before though about how shoehorned Amanda seemed until you mentioned it Noah. That’s an excellent point. They could have even quickly expanded to say Amanda went tracing Lara’s history to see what she could find to help her shiver her quest to go to Avalon and found Natla but instead they’re just like HEY HERE THEY BOTH ARE TA DA.

Though I must say I like even the little filler levels like Arctic Sea. They were ambient and I found them a nice change of pace (save for the right/left tedium mentioned before but I suppose in such a short level...)

Mexico was great, but could have been even better. They saved all the grandeur for the Norse part but it should have been in the actual Mexican ruins. The Xibalba trials were pitifully easy and certainly not worthy of legends and inscriptions. Traversing the central Xibalba room was MUCH harder than any of the trials.

And I too liked the end. It actually had some challenge of endurance to it and you had to really pay attention to where everything was and what was whizzing by. It wasn’t particularly hard, but it was clever, if underwhelming.

Last edited by JACOBryanBURNS; 31-12-17 at 22:02.
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-17, 16:18   #15
Blue_light
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
2. Music
Like Reboot and Rise, the music in this game is pretty forgettable and feels almost nonexistent. Except for a few tracks that is.
*Gasps* How dare you?

Needless to say that I really disagree with this part.
I love the music in this. The ambience tracks have a great balance of musicality and subtlety, making it look like the environment itself is singing. "The Unnamed Days", "World of Ice", "Niflheim", "Sunken Corridors" are examples that come to mind. Legend's ambient music was too "present", and Anniversary's was too subtle that it got lost in the game, though I'm not saying that I don't love their soundtracks, because I do.
Old 31-12-17, 17:23   #16
NoahCrofRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_light View Post
*Gasps* How dare you?

Needless to say that I really disagree with this part.
I love the music in this. The ambience tracks have a great balance of musicality and subtlety, making it look like the environment itself is singing. "The Unnamed Days", "World of Ice", "Niflheim", "Sunken Corridors" are examples that come to mind. Legend's ambient music was too "present", and Anniversary's was too subtle that it got lost in the game, though I'm not saying that I don't love their soundtracks, because I do.
Sorry. I have to say though, I might consider actually listening to the soundtrack on YT. Then my opinion could possibly change. I was going off of what I remembered in-game.

No promises though.
Old 01-01-18, 14:58   #17
Grimaldi
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_light View Post
I love the music in this. The ambience tracks have a great balance of musicality and subtlety, making it look like the environment itself is singing.
I agree with this so much. The ambience is beautiful, particularly in the Mediterranean and Thailand.

Good review. I agree with a lot of your points, but would've ranked it higher for capturing the classic feel in a way Legend and Anniversary never did imo.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote