www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 22-01-18, 01:43   #21
laravision
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
But for legitimate, minimum damage I'll definitely have to find that sweet spot among the spikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akci View Post
You can also use the method Laravision described, but note that it's and out of bounds bug when Lara is embedded into the wall on the monkey swing.
Quote:
By the "out of bounds" bug due mean it is not considered a legitimate way of avoiding damage there? I ask because I've tried embedding her almost entirely in that wall to the point I almost couldn't move her forward and she was still cooked by the second gas jet.
I wouldn't consider that method of slightly embedding on the monkey swing to be out of bounds in the same way conventional embed bugs work.
Anyway, I have found a sweet spot in which its legitimacy can hardly be questioned. Simply stand on the spot as seen in the following image, and perform a forward jump with a mid-air twist to have Lara land among the spikes unharmed!

Last edited by laravision; 15-04-18 at 14:18.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-18, 01:27   #22
fallenangle
Archaeologist

I've done it although not completed the level yet (that last damned dog and guard )

It took me a bit of time to get the hang drop into the cathedral right, I found I needed fall in the right place/angle just to clip the edge of the slide as she drops and then bend the run immediately to give her the chance to turn fast enough to grab the edge on her right in the far corner.

acki's video shows it perfectly but the problem I had in practice was the dratted camera always swaps to the shot looking up from underneath at the critical moment. You have to tap 'Look' at just the right time to get the view you need.

acki's quoted figures about the damage are perfect. I took my own screenshots and used a graphics program to measure it accurately: both 32.5% ie. a total of 65% damage leaving 35% HP for the rest of the level.

Onto the gas jet room and this is where it gets interesting. I honestly did not look at laravision's hang drop shots beforehand as just knowing there was a safe spot was enough. I wanted to find it myself but problem was I didn't and I really tried many places on both sides. Obviously not quite right.

So as ack's other advice about hopping back had no positioning info I tried that from various places, again without success. Then a few other things like different jumps and went back to the monkey swing. In messing one of those up I accidentally found what I think might be the easiest solution.

I guess it is just a variation of acki's suggestion but it is 100% repeatable.

You simply place LC's back flat against the wall on her real right hand side when she's facing the spikes. She should be facing perfectly square to the opposite wall. The camera by default positions itself facing her so from your point of view she's on the left of the screen looking right.

Now side step until her right foot is next to the spike area then re-angle her VERY slightly clockwise towards the spikes and run forward. As long as you have not angled her too far she'll slip off the step right into the opposite corner of the spiked floor without any damage.

You can then walk her by the wall on that side and into the pool without damage.

BTW do not be tempted to try crawling through the spikes. I thought that might be necessary to avoid the third gas jet heat but going into the crawl position in the spiked area actually does damage. You just don't need to do that.

EDIT 24.01.18

YAY! Finished after finally managing to kill those two very annoying final enemies in All Hallows with the pistols without taking damage. I admit to having to do it by saving my way through incrementally but even that was not easy.

Last edited by fallenangle; 24-01-18 at 02:28.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 12:02   #23
laravision
Archaeologist

Congrats! How many saves on average did you make per level?
Old 01-02-18, 14:48   #24
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Don't ask, too many and I was starting a new game overwriting my backed up old and level start saves from earlier games so the numbering of the saves continued. All I'll say is that my final save was 1000+.

In the levels and sections with no shooting enemies or deadly timed traps I barely saved at all. But when it came to pairs of shooting enemies, enemies in tight spaces or getting out of the water under-fire it was double figure saves per level.

With all weapons, particularly the magnum, some of those places would have been quite easy without taking damage. But using just pistols it takes a long time to kill a guy who's firing at you in locked room or tight area with nowhere to hide it is tough. Lots of tumble turns necessary and you're going to mess it up many times before you get it right.

If you don't save after each undamaged kill it would drive you nuts repeating it.

I also had the added discipline of going too but avoiding using the PC health crystals in places where LC had received damaged previously. I counted them as pickups so doing that was important. Strangely, except for that RX Tech Mines swim it was not so hard. With all the health crystals LC was forced to take, because they're directly over other pickups or physically unavoidable eg. Lud's Gate diver room, she was undamaged.

There were one or two places where she was damaged I couldn't make the other ammo/health pack pickups without triggering the health crystal so I opted out of those ones. I guessed that would be the case before I started and why I treated "all" possible, legitimate pickups as a secondary discipline.

If I'd known about the no health crystals mod it would have made things easier for sure but this was not about doing it easy.

I certainly wouldn't play TR3 under such criteria on the PS version simply because there wouldn't be enough save crystals available to do it. At least not without cheating.

No damage/minimal damage - all weapons maybe, just pistols yes, that's very doable too. The latter without saves, yes to that too. But all enemy kills, all secrets, no damage just pistols and all pickups as secondary criteria you'd have to be OCD.

Last edited by fallenangle; 01-02-18 at 14:51.
Old 01-02-18, 16:17   #25
laravision
Archaeologist

Quote:
Don't ask, too many...
when it came to pairs of shooting enemies, enemies in tight spaces or getting out of the water under-fire it was double figure saves per level.
That's totally understandable. I'm aware of the multiple attempts it can take when trying to undertake certain combat sections under no-scratch rules. I'm currently replaying TR3, although with rules that aren't quite as strict as yours were, but close. I just managed to do the plug room drop with the Kayak without sustaining any damage! And I don't think I landed on the croc either. It took a lot of attempts, yet I can't replicate it again.
Old 02-02-18, 12:22   #26
fallenangle
Archaeologist

If you can find a reliable way of repeating that I'll be very interested to hear. Good luck with that.

As said earlier the problem I had there was that even with repeated attempts, from all points of the compass the croc simply wasn't swimming into the central area at all. I had to accept the minimum, uncushioned fall damage or I'd probably still be there.