www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 25-01-18, 13:25   #21
jonathanrij
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
OK I found that interview. Not sure why I couldn't find it earlier, lol
There's also this piece of information from Next Generation #30 (June 1997) magazine, which incidentally mentions a Saturn release for TR2:

I doubt either of the ports ever got past simple tech demos.
jonathanrij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-18, 16:56   #22
Dustie
Relic Hunter

That's the charm of the magazine era... their info was probably 4-5 months behind, and though I'm not sure when exactly in 1997 did Toby leave Core I'm convinced Eidos already knew in spring that year they were doing neither the TR1 port for N64 nor a Saturn version of TR2.
Dustie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-18, 08:13   #23
Johnnay
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
What do you mean by that? That interview and Toby's reply suggested the idea of porting TR to N64 was one of the issues he had with staying at Core.

Actually, I'm not sure why I wrote TR2 port for N64 in my original post... I think it was actually a TR1 port, not TR2, that Toby mentioned, which would have made more sense at the time when the sequel was barely in the works.

EDIT:

OK I found that interview. Not sure why I couldn't find it earlier, lol

Now I'm thinking if that TR1 clone for N64 would have made a difference to the franchise. They could have hired other people to make a new team to work on the port while the main team worked on TR2, although that would have resulted in N64 being a full year behind other platforms... and there was no time to waste fresh off the feet of TR1's success, which is why went with making TR2 in less then a year instead of dealing with N64.
oh, I in truth didnt know why exactly he quit TR back then but because of this.. feels a little childish if you ask me that he wasnt interested in doing TR2 nor TR1 for N64 though he is part of a reason why Lara existed over 20 years ago..

but going back then to TR1 on N64... interesting, considering i've never heard of this news.. but then N64 despite being more powerful than either the Saturn or PS1 had far less memory than CD-ROMs though so i dont know how it will fit in considering there'll be sacrifices made ( or like RE2 on N64)

i'd like to see how Gard thinks TR2 is not a full blown sequel to TR1, (although TR1-5 used an enhanced, expanded version of the same engine) and what flaws he thinks can be addressed..

regarding TR2 for saturn as jonathanrij magazine pointed out... everyone knows why Saturn release didnt show up.. dont forget starting from TR2 to TR4 (before 2000) TR was console exclusive to PS1 so thats why there was no saturn version indefinitely
Old 27-01-18, 22:15   #24
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Now that I think of it's actually kinda weird the magazine mentioned a Saturn version even as late as in June... they should have known by then there won't be a Saturn version... unless they really had wrong info or really were very late with their news, like I said earlier. By June 1997 the N64 deal must have already fallen through, there's no way they were still considering it that far into TR2 development.
Old 28-01-18, 01:52   #25
jonathanrij
Archaeologist

^ I don't see how the N64 version is related to TR2's development, seeing as it was allegedely supposed to be a separate release of TR1. I'd say it's very well possible that it was still being discussed around that time. Also, a Saturn release being mentioned in the article was probably just a slip-up based on old info. Perhaps at that point there was no confirmation yet that it wasn't happening, so they just left it. I do agree Core/Eidos clearly knew by then, though. The only reason I brought the article up in the first place is because it's another source confirming that both releases were negotiated at one point.

Also, the PS1 exclusivity deal was first reported in September 1997, which may have given them plenty of time to toy with the engine on N64/Saturn dev kits, although one might wonder how early on the deal was actually signed. It's such a shame there's no info on the state of either ports before being canned.
Old 28-01-18, 10:29   #26
Dustie
Relic Hunter

As I understand it is related because they wouldn't be able to finish TR2 in 8 or 9 months like they did if they also had to work on a N64 port of TR1, especially if a Saturn version was still being considered or even worked on. Toby's interview suggests it was the main (and the only one at that time) team being offered the N64 port, so I imagine that would either delay TR2 development or would require additional workforce. That's why I think by June 1997 Eidos already knew there wasn't going to be a N64 TR1 or a Saturn TR2 and instead were focusing on keeping the PS1/PC TR2 release date intact.
Old 28-01-18, 13:13   #27
jonathanrij
Archaeologist

I didn't realize that Toby described it as an either-or situation in your article. That's odd, because an N64 release was still being reported as late as June 1997, which is also around the time Next Generation magazine released their info. Evidently, TR2 was heavily in development around that time, so Toby's info is rather contradictory. It could be that Jeremy's words were taken out of context, or speculated upon, to make it seem like he included the TR series, rather than some of their other titles? It's interesting to note that another game by Core, Fighting Force, was eventually ported to N64, a year and a half after its PS1 release.

Anyway, it seems like Core had no experience working with N64 development hardware prior to this, so the few programmers they had must have required a lot of time and effort to get a full port with extras done within a year. However, it might have been very low priority during TR2's development; something they tried out without any guarantee. Either way, I agree it doesn't seem realistic without any delays or additional workforce. And when it comes to the TR2 Saturn release, I'm sure they knew early on during development that it wasn't happening, so I doubt it ever truly hindered the process.
Old 28-01-18, 22:53   #28
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Oh the things that might have been...

I wish someone could sit down with all of them one day and try writing a memoir of Core's days of working on Tomb Raider. I'm sure a lot of them don't even remember everything clearly anymore, but still, it would have been a nice read.
Old 07-02-18, 01:25   #29
Alain19
Hobbyist

^The book "L'Histoire de TOMB RAIDER: 1996 - 2008: L'Odyssée de Lara Croft" by Alexandre Serel attempted to do that and I found it a nice read!
But I also got the impression of a chaotic environment where things worked beautifully when the united team worked together, but later lacked any structure! As the original team members left one by one, the replacements found themselves in a impossible situation: do better than their predecessors (that were extremely successful) without the time to learn what they should do: it was doomed to end badly!
Alain19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 12:23   #30
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain19 View Post
^The book "L'Histoire de TOMB RAIDER: 1996 - 2008: L'Odyssée de Lara Croft" by Alexandre Serel attempted to do that and I found it a nice read!
But I also got the impression of a chaotic environment where things worked beautifully when the united team worked together, but later lacked any structure! As the original team members left one by one, the replacements found themselves in a impossible situation: do better than their predecessors (that were extremely successful) without the time to learn what they should do: it was doomed to end badly!
I nearly forgot about that book, it would have been nice if there was a translation available at last...