Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 31-03-18, 21:54   #1
VictorXD

Default That final plot twist... Did anyone else love it or is it just me?

Well, needless to say this is spoilerific

Anyways, am I the only one who just loved the no supernatural twist? I think it really worked for this movie and I don't mind that Himiko is not the vengeful spirit that controls the weather as much as I liked it in the game.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 22:04   #2
Mickybyrne20

Yeah, I quite liked the twist. Although, it was over too soon. I think Richard's whole plot in the story was horrible, and he ruined certain moments.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 22:04   #3
PinkyPromise

I think it was a small betrayal to the saga ... TR has always been: realistic on earth, fantasy in the tomb. I think that Himiko in the video game has a great background and it would have been more interesting an island where she catches you and where you can not leave. Also Himiko's army would have been interesting.

Bringing everything to reality is interesting but lost TR magic. Imagine sequels where all the tombs are "realistic".

I think the movie could have been better if it had been revealed as something more impressive and complicated when they arrived at Himiko's tomb. Not just a zombie creator. Even the 2013 reboot included supernatural things. A guardian Oni and Himiko trying to absorb Lara's soul could have been epic

Along with Daddy Croft the absence of supernatural is the weakest part of the movie. Also I didnt like the lack of background in Yamatai either. Only a normal island and a old japanese plane. The cemetery of ships and japonese ruins could have done much more for the environment.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 31-03-18 at 22:15.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 22:19   #4
VictorXD

Ooh yeah, making it realistic is definitely a one hit wonder. For the supernatural to removed from possible sequels is a huge no-no for me. Making a habit of it would be terrible.

It worked in the context of this movie and played up a lot with people's expectations, surprising gamers and moviegoers alike.

It also leaves room for character development in the next movie (IF we get one), and I actually really want the next movie to focus on character development as Lara still hasn't fought an animal, lacks archaeological knowledge and still doesn't believe in the supernatural. Thinking back on it she still lacks pretty much everything to become a Tomb Raider in the movie lol At least she is a bad ass who clearly loves adrenaline though.
Old 31-03-18, 22:26   #5
biscuits

I don't like how this iteration of the character doesn't care about archaeology or history at all. If her dad didn't go missing would she have become a tomb raider in the first place? I dislike the daddy story as much as the next person but this movie takes it to a whole new level of bad. Yeah she's sassy,tough, and athletic. But so many other characters are. Her sassiness and toughness isn't enough to impress me.

It's a shame because you can tell Alicia tried her best with the role.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 22:43   #6
VictorXD

I actually think this is the best iteration of Richard/Lara so far. It showed that even though Lara is not an archaeologist (YET... I hope), she is clearly a very intelligent woman who analyses and uses her environment. This is the only time I felt like Lara actually passed Richard and stepped out of his shadow for the first time in the franchise.

She managed to open the tomb, solve the puzzles and she was the one who realised something was off about Himiko's myth just by looking at the tomb and she did not even have a degree in History. Something Richard could not do in several years. Not only that, but also proved herself 10x times more courageous than him when she decided to fight Mathias.

Core Lara started out the same way, she only acquired the knowledge she has after her plane crash at 21 and realised she loved tomb raiding as much as she loves adrenaline, so hopefully this Lara follow the same path.
Old 31-03-18, 23:08   #7
Chamayoo

I though this "Final plot twist" was about Ana being the head of Trinity but I see it's not what you're all talking about.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 23:36   #8
Portugalraider

Personally, I would have preferred if they maintain a similar supernatural myth to the game, but I see what you mean.

I was quite surprised with how much I liked how they have rewritten Himiko. Really liked the twist that history painted her as a ruthless queen who was banished, when the reality was that she selflessly banished herself to save her people. Would prefer if there was still a supernatural element to her, but I still was happy with the final result. At least it's much better than the albino incestuous cannibal zombies from the leaked script.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 23:42   #9
VictorXD

Albino incestuous cannibal zombies? Sounds straight out of The Descent to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
I though this "Final plot twist" was about Ana being the head of Trinity but I see it's not what you're all talking about.
Well it's not that much of a plot twist Ana was evil
Old 31-03-18, 23:47   #10
Zebra

I kinda hated it. Supernatural elements belong to Tomb Raider and trying to explain it through pseudo science takes away part of its magic IMO. (Then again, the reboot has taken most of that away, anyway.) It was also just so badly done with how quickly the infection worked. If you're trying to make us believe that there's an actual scientifically plausible explanation behind it, at least make it somewhat believable. You can't just randomly slap "SCIENZ!!1!" on anything you want and expect people to buy it.

What I hated even more is that they didn't go with the game's version of Himiko's backstory. That was one of the few truly good parts of the game's story (especially the bit with Hoshi) and they didn't even use it.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote