www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 20-03-17, 03:50   #21
Helegad
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
I'd agree but I say it loses points for the quicksand leap of faith. If you are playing a game with save crystals, flippant experiments like that are a big deal and the player would have zero reason to jump into certain death and expect it to actually be the thing you are required to do. Bad game design.
Which jump is this?
Old 20-03-17, 10:29   #22
TR-Freak
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
Which jump is this?
Probably the Quicksand-filled room after you collect the key with the spike wall.
You don't know where the quicksand is safe and where not.
Old 20-03-17, 12:54   #23
redfox45
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
Probably the Quicksand-filled room after you collect the key with the spike wall.
You don't know where the quicksand is safe and where not.
That part is also bad but the part I was referring to was after you fight the first Shiva statue and in order to reach one of the key rooms you literally have to jump and wade through a long stretch of quicksand to the point where you are about to die and at the last second you hit an incline and can get out.

Given that a lot of people would have been playing on PS1 with limited saves it's a little unfair to assume they had the means to try a reckless thing like that instead of trying to find something they missed that makes the hallway safe to cross for instance. That always bugged me.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 20:54   #24
archfiend
Historian

Lud's Gate. The level design is genius to make somebody mad.
archfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 21:09   #25
Blue_light
Explorer

Temple Ruins - for the variety of traps.

High Security Compound - a stealth level that breaks the tradition, adding some freshness and also some tension.

Lost City of Tinnos - Just for the elemental rooms. I really love when TR games make rooms based on special themes. (like St Francis Folly having rooms based on Greek mythologies, and Tomb of Semerkhet having the Senet game) It adds a certain life to the ruins.

Coastal Village - for how you can access the village in two different ways. The light puzzle was really cool, although very simple. This level and Temple of Puna really give an Indiana Jones vibe.

RX Tech mines - non linear, and especially being alone in the darkness with big mutants walking around.
Old 20-03-17, 23:25   #26
Hazelphoenix
Explorer

I'm gonna get scolded for saying this, but I do consider Lud's gate to be a result of a genius mind in its own chaotic mess.

I mean, art has no boundaries right? Provided this is true, then it can be considered a -rather odd- art piece, just not traditional art.

It's not beautiful nor masterfully crafted, yet it has something unique to it born from a weird concept in Andy's mind (probably), resulting in something so peculiar that it either evokes good emotions (people who love it) or passionate hatred. It's... special

A bit like Picasso's art: some find it enjoyable, others cannot appreciate it but no one can deny it makes for a particular art style born from a genius and artistic mind.

tl;dr: Lud's Gate is genius
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-17, 00:01   #27
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

^I think you're right, the way you explain it.

Anyway, whoever decided to put that underwater swimming device in there (forget the name) was genius. The experience lives with you forever.
Old 21-03-17, 00:33   #28
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix View Post
A bit like Picasso's art: some find it enjoyable, others cannot appreciate it but no one can deny it makes for a particular art style born from a genius and artistic mind.
:
No one can deny Andy's genius mind (as he's the one behind many Classic TR masterpieces) , but even a genius mind can go off the rails , falling in the trap of trying to be "creatively insane" , "edgy" , "exotic" etc and ending up being insultingly bad , needlessly annoying and anti-fun , that's one big difference between Floating Islands (for instance) and Lud's gate .

So yeah , I still stand by what I say that Lud's gate is the worst level I've ever played in a video game and a dark point in Andy's otherwise remarkable history .
Old 21-03-17, 00:40   #29
SS Leigh
Student

Jungle, Temple Ruins <3, Coastal Village <3, Crash Site, Thames Wharf, Alwych <3, Lud's Gate, High Security Compound, Area 51 <3, Antarctica <3, RX-Tech Mines <3 & Lost City Of Tinnos <3.

Overall, Tomb Raider III is a genius game
Old 21-03-17, 10:42   #30
wearemany
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix View Post
I'm gonna get scolded for saying this, but I do consider Lud's gate to be a result of a genius mind in its own chaotic mess.

I mean, art has no boundaries right? Provided this is true, then it can be considered a -rather odd- art piece, just not traditional art.

It's not beautiful nor masterfully crafted, yet it has something unique to it born from a weird concept in Andy's mind (probably), resulting in something so peculiar that it either evokes good emotions (people who love it) or passionate hatred. It's... special

tl;dr: Lud's Gate is genius
Hazel. <3

I completely agree. I'm one of the people that love this level, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's so addictive to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
No one can deny Andy's genius mind (as he's the one behind many Classic TR masterpieces) , but even a genius mind can go off the rails , falling in the trap of trying to be "creatively insane" , "edgy" , "exotic" etc and ending up being insultingly bad , needlessly annoying and anti-fun , that's one big difference between Floating Islands (for instance) and Lud's gate .

So yeah , I still stand by what I say that Lud's gate is the worst level I've ever played in a video game and a dark point in Andy's otherwise remarkable history .
I hope you realize that we can no longer be friends.