www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 24-02-17, 22:06   #231
Famicom
Historian

Recently I've been watching some of my uncompressed walkthrough videos I made last year. That was glide version running on doxbox+nglide. I thought it looked gorgeous back in the day, and to a certain point it does, but there was something... well... different from this GLRage patched version, apart from widescreen support and psx-like gamma/water. At first I couldn't tell what it was, but there was definitely something. And then I realized: TR is known to all of us for those wobbly polygons and stuff. On pc that's less of a problem than on consoles, but it's still quite noticeable...on glide version. I've been pixel peeping Level 2 rolling demo on both my raw video files and then watching GLRage version live. And I would swear in GLRage version everything wobbles much less. It looks definitely much more solid to my eye, if that makes any sense at all. I don't know if it is just me or not, I don't know if that's even possible, but I encourage you to compare and see for yourselves.

Last edited by Famicom; 24-02-17 at 22:08.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 04:11   #232
Helegad
Explorer

Amazing. Just finished Tomb Raider, first time ever on PC, set up using this guide. This is just leaps and bounds better than that DOSBox garbage, whichever way you spin it. Thank you so much for putting the pieces together Barracuda, I never though I'd be able to play Tomb Raider with such fluidity and stability, and with 16:9 to boot. Holy sh*t.

I didn't encounter a single crash. Set up was so easy, no real tweaking required except for that pesky INI edit for the full soundtrack (the INI's formatting is simply horrible, by the way). Lossless music, deinterlaced videos, THIS is how Tomb Raider should be played and should have been released in the first place.

By the way, I want to use INSTALL.PCX as the menu background (for something a little fresher and since TR and UB are now both sharing the same background), but the colours are off for some reason. Any ideas on why this is?

Last edited by Helegad; 12-03-17 at 04:39.
Helegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-17, 11:09   #233
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Does anyone remember how can I fix the issue where distant fog shows TITLE SCREEN background instead of being black?
Caesum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-17, 12:37   #234
ANoDE
Gold Contributor

Lightbulb

Page 3 of this thread says that updating to R6 of the fatch fixed it...

Last edited by ANoDE; 20-03-17 at 08:11. Reason: typis, typos, typos...
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-17, 13:29   #235
Caesum
Tomb Raider

I'm pretty sure I have the newest version, that is unless the first post isn't updated at all.

EDIT: Okay, yup. The first post isn't updated. Here is the project page with newest release: https://github.com/ata4/glrage/releases

Last edited by Caesum; 17-03-17 at 13:38.
Caesum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 21:22   #236
JOHN30011887
Student

This is amazing, only just now tried it, thank god for no more dosbox, music sounds clearer and works in unfinished business aswell, widescreen support too

Im so replaying this masterpiece, best part of my childhood was the tomb raider games

Is there a way to get JoyTokey to fully work, i had it work perfect with dosbox version but this version i cant seem to get movement to work, mapped arrows to controller but nothing, all other buttons work fine, is it a bug with tombati or is there something i need to edit

FIXED ISSUE - I read back alot of pages and found a fix to use the Num8,2,4,6, controller now works perfectly again

i love how we have choice for clear water or blue water like ps1 version (i prefer ps1 blue water so thats what im using with this)

Last edited by JOHN30011887; 20-03-17 at 16:57.
JOHN30011887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 12:25   #237
Levee44
Hobbyist

Default Aspect Ratio etc.

Hello!

First to Barracuda: thank you so much for making this amazing port!

I have a few questions, I'm sure many of you know the answer.

1. What is the resolution used in the PS version?
2. How exactly can I modify aspect ratio?
3. The water is supposed to be blue, like in the PS version. On my computer, however, it's not. How can I tweak the colors to get the PS look?

Thank you very much in advance!
Levee44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 19:29   #238
Famicom
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levee44 View Post
Hello!

First to Barracuda: thank you so much for making this amazing port!

I have a few questions, I'm sure many of you know the answer.

1. What is the resolution used in the PS version?
2. How exactly can I modify aspect ratio?
3. The water is supposed to be blue, like in the PS version. On my computer, however, it's not. How can I tweak the colors to get the PS look?

Thank you very much in advance!
1. Can't remember. Also, it depends on what version we're dealing with: PAL or NTSC, but I guess it goes around 300something x 200something

2. You need to set the resolution by editing the tombati.ini file that is in Patches folder.

Quote:
; Set a custom resolution in place of 800x600. Widescreen resolutions are supported,

; but are a bit glitchy. A width or height of 0 means that the current desktop

; resolution is used instead.

resolution_override = true

resolution_width = 0
resolution_height = 0
3. It is on by default if I remember well...If not, the setting is also in the same ini file.

Quote:
; Set a custom water color filter. The default values 0.3 and 1.0 approximate the

; turquoise colors of the PlayStation version.

; The ATI patch uses 0.6 for red and 0.7 for green, which appears to be the

; underwater overlay color in the DOS version and looks rather ugly.

; A filter for blue colors isn't implemented in the original code, probably

; because it would make no sense to filter out blue from water.

watercolor_override = true

; Water color red filter. 1.0 means pass-through, 0.0 means no red at all.

watercolor_filter_red = 0.45

; Water color green filter. 1.0 means pass-through, 0.0 means no green at all.

watercolor_filter_green = 1.0

Last edited by Famicom; 20-03-17 at 19:33.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 23:28   #239
ANoDE
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
By the way, I want to use INSTALL.PCX as the menu background (for something a little fresher and since TR and UB are now both sharing the same background), but the colours are off for some reason. Any ideas on why this is?

https://s11.postimg.org/8qjruryg3/screenshot0001.jpg
It seems to me as if the game has a hardcoded color palette for the title image and ignores the palette stored in the PCX file. If you save the palette of TITLEH.PCX and import it to INSTALL.PCX the result looks exactly like your picture. Question is, if there's a way to make the game use the palette stored in the image or to override the palette with a custom one. Unfortunately that's something I have absolutely no idea of...
(On the other hand, I'm quite sure it should be possible to handle the PCX files like the other textures in the game and make them replacable somehow...)

EDIT: Here's an "install.pcx" that uses the correct palette: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tewydry4r...ITLEH.PCX?dl=0
Unfortunately, the palettes of these two images differ quite a lot, making the result rather ... old-school looking.

Last edited by ANoDE; 20-03-17 at 23:39.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-17, 21:27   #240
Famicom
Historian

I have noticed music mutes when you access the inventory, which is great.
It would be truly awesome if instead of muting it paused, as it does on ps1.