Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 02-01-12, 18:26   #1
tomekkobialka

Cool TR1 Rerendered Soundtrack

Here it is...a new year, a new rerendered Tomb Raider soundtrack!

TOMB RAIDER 1
Rerendered Soundtrack
by tomekkobialka

The aim of this project is to enhance the sound quality of the TR1 soundtrack without
destroying the nostalgia of the original.

The original TR1 soundtrack by Nathan McCree was synth-based, in other words there were
no real instruments playing - all of the sound waves were created by the computer using
MIDI.

Essentially what I have done is that I have rerendered the entire soundtrack by layering
the original audio files with instrument samples from the EastWest Quantum Leap sample
library using the Cubase DAW. So, for example, if I hear a horn playing then I add a
separate instrument track with the EWQL horn sample, if I hear vibes then I add EWQL
vibes etc. The result is a new, revitalised soundtrack which sounds more similar to a
real orchestra. It is also interesting to note that Troels Brun Folmann himself used
the EWQL sample library in TR Legend/Anniversary (among others!).

EVERY SINGLE MUSIC CUE HAS BEEN RERENDERED IN THIS WAY. I have also rerendered all of the
ambience tracks. CUTSCENE MUSIC HAS NOT BEEN RERENDERED as doing so would drown out the
speech/SFX of the cutscene.

Installation instructions can be found in the manual (in the link above).

I haven't tested this out thoroughly yet, so you may find some issues yourself...in that case either post here on this thread or e-mail me with the e-mail address found in the readme.

Link to TR3 Rerendered Soundtrack (just in case you didn't catch it )

* - The standalone MP3 tracks are also included in the "Glidos - manual" version of the soundtrack, so you don't need to download these if you're going to be using the Glidos version.

Happy raiding!

P.S. I WILL be making a TR2 rerendered soundtrack to complete the trilogy, so keep a lookout!

Last edited by tomekkobialka; 22-06-18 at 21:32. Reason: updated links
tomekkobialka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 18:30   #2
Phlip
Inactive

Ooh this is amazing!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 21:53   #3
ggctuk

Great work on this one! I imagine this is how Nathan McCree would have made the soundtrack to TRAE. I specially love the Tension themes
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 22:06   #4
FloTheMachine

Its so beautiful. I'm learning the original TR1 theme on the violin. ;D
FloTheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 22:36   #5
hollister
Inactive

this reminds me of how great and amazing the TR1 soundtrack is. it definitely was a key to the success of this game.
hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 22:37   #6
tomekkobialka

Thank you all for your comments. Has anybody managed to get it running with TR1 yet?

Last edited by tomekkobialka; 02-01-12 at 23:14.
Old 02-01-12, 22:55   #7
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomekkobialka View Post
Thank you all for your comments. As anybody managed to get it running with TR1 yet?
I plan on getting it to work with TR1 Revised, Daoine Sidhe's remake.
Old 02-01-12, 23:14   #8
tomekkobialka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
I plan on getting it to work with TR1 Revised, Daoine Sidhe's remake.
You know, I had the exact same thing in mind. I recently came across his 'TR1 revised' and I thought 'wouldn't it be great to have this soundtrack "remake" work with this TR1 "remake"?' If you can get it to work, then I'll be very happy.

EDIT: After reviewing the files in the TR1 remake, it seems all it takes is to replace the files in the Audio folder with the remastered ones...I'd just need to listen out to which tracks play what (as obviously the file names are akin to the original TR4 soundtrack which comes with TRLE...). I might actually try that out now

EDIT 2: After playing the TR1 remake for a bit...I realised with horror that THERE ARE MORE TRACKS! Should I rerender these ones too? What I'll probably do is simply replace the original TR1 tracks, post a download link on this thread, then work on the other, 'TR1 revised' exclusive ones.

EDIT 3: Seems it doesn't recognize mp3 tracks...I may have to convert to WAV.

Last edited by tomekkobialka; 03-01-12 at 00:09.
Old 03-01-12, 18:38   #9
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomekkobialka View Post
You know, I had the exact same thing in mind. I recently came across his 'TR1 revised' and I thought 'wouldn't it be great to have this soundtrack "remake" work with this TR1 "remake"?' If you can get it to work, then I'll be very happy.

EDIT: After reviewing the files in the TR1 remake, it seems all it takes is to replace the files in the Audio folder with the remastered ones...I'd just need to listen out to which tracks play what (as obviously the file names are akin to the original TR4 soundtrack which comes with TRLE...). I might actually try that out now

EDIT 2: After playing the TR1 remake for a bit...I realised with horror that THERE ARE MORE TRACKS! Should I rerender these ones too? What I'll probably do is simply replace the original TR1 tracks, post a download link on this thread, then work on the other, 'TR1 revised' exclusive ones.

EDIT 3: Seems it doesn't recognize mp3 tracks...I may have to convert to WAV.
It depends - I modified the exe myself for my copy of TR Revised, so it takes OGGs. I can send you the exe if you'd like.

The extra tracks are taken from other Tomb Raider games - the one that plays at the beginning of Caves is Vertigo from TR2.
Old 03-01-12, 19:21   #10
-Roli-

Perfect, comes very handy for my project!!!

Thank you!
-Roli- is offline   Reply With Quote