www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 13-10-17, 14:53   #61
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post
*shrugs*

I wasn't even going to open the door to the argument on the legitimacy of remakes or remasters in comparison to the original material. However, by their very definition, they are not fanfiction as they are official releases and not fan creations.

Whether or not you feel they are faithful or deviate unnecessarily from the originals, or if fan-created materials is more faithful to the originals than a remake or a remaster is entirely subjective. They may very well feel that way to you and I'm certainly not going to say you're wrong for holding that position.

The only matter I meant to raise was pointing me in the directions of mods as a solution in no way satisfies my issues and instead generates new ones.
There's no difference for me between an official and unofficial HD overhaul unless it was made by the exact same people who made the original game, which more often than not isn't the case. So IMO if an official remaster gets made, in most cases it's nothing more or less than a high budget fan project that gets sold instead of uploaded to the Nexus or some other modding page.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't see a need for games like Mass Effect 1 and 2 to desperately get re-releases with some new features. These games are still perfectly playable on modern PCs and on Xbox One via backwards compatibility. And PS3s and Xbox 360s become cheaper and cheaper if one wants to play these games on those.

I'd rather see more re-releases/remasters of really old games that are hard to get or don't run on modern hardware.
Old 13-10-17, 15:01   #62
Ashnod
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
There's no difference for me between an official and unofficial HD overhaul unless it was made by the exact same people who made the original game, which more often than not isn't the case. So IMO if an official remaster gets made, in most cases it's nothing more or less than a high budget fan project that gets sold instead of uploaded to the Nexus or some other modding page.
By that definition, nearly all sequels, add-ons, and spin off games could also be considered fanfiction.

For example, does the absence of Toby Guard after the first title make Tomb Raider 2 fanfiction? Does the absence of Vicky Arnold after the third title make The Last Revelation fanfiction? How much of the original team needs to be intact in order for a game to not be considered fanfiction?
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-17, 16:26   #63
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post
By that definition, nearly all sequels, add-ons, and spin off games could also be considered fanfiction.

For example, does the absence of Toby Guard after the first title make Tomb Raider 2 fanfiction? Does the absence of Vicky Arnold after the third title make The Last Revelation fanfiction? How much of the original team needs to be intact in order for a game to not be considered fanfiction?
That's not exactly the same since a sequel doesn't try to copy the game before it. But every game was made with a certain vision in mind, even if it was made by different people than an earlier title in the same series. But if different people make a "remaster" of that game and change the assets, how can these assets be made with the exact same vision unless the people who made them originally were consulted? For example the 7th gen version of TRL looks very different from the 6th gen version. But it was mostly made by the same people, to I consider the 7th gen version the "definitive" version. It's just that the difference in technology doesn't allow the 6th gen version to look exactly like the 7th gen one. But Crash Bandicoot The N. Sane Trilogy was made by completely different people than the original three titles, so I don't think that this game is how the original games would've been if the technology back then was more advanced. Because even if an asset is remade by a different person to resemble the original as closely as possible, it's unlikely that the new asset is 100% what the original creator had in mind.

And even if it's the original creator who revisits an old asset and changes it, it's not certain that it's still his original vision. Case in point: The changes George Lucas made to the Star Wars movies (yes, they're not games, but it's kinda similar).

I won't say that these kind of remasters don't have their place. It can be pretty cool to see an old game with new graphics and it can help making an old title more accessible for a new generation of gamers, though I don't see a point in doing so if a game is still easily available and not too archaic.
But the original games should be preserved without many alterations. Maybe iron out some faults like the wobbly textures in PS1 games or bump up the resolution and maybe framerate since these things have more to do with technological constrains than artistic preferences. But overall don't exchange anything important that made people fall in love with the game in the first place.
Old 18-10-17, 01:45   #64
Rafael
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
Tomb Raider 1, 2, 3 and 4 should be given the Crash Bandicoot treatment.

Final Fantasy 8 and 9.
Wai Wai World (very underrated NES gem by Konami)
Silent Hill 1 and 0
Legend of Legaia
Tenchu 1 and 2 (actually, the series needs to be rebooted and revived)
LEGEND OF LEGAIA! I love this RPG! It was the Rpg that initiated me in the RPG universe!

It would be great to play it in the latest gen consoles!

I also would love to see:

- Legend of Dragoon
- Final Fantasy 8 (Rinoa and Squall Waltz Dance would be perfect to see in a new gen console render)
- The Full Tomb Raider 2: Dagger of Xian Remake
- Rock 'n Roll Racing
- Syphon Filter( anyone from the PS One)
- Digimon World 3
- The First Prince of Persia Game ( that one from MS-DOS)

PS and Off-topic:

I am kind of new here!
Nice to meet you!

I am starting to raid deep in TR franchise, and i am liking it. The Youtuber Melonie Mac has somehow contributed to that.
Rafael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 02:49   #65
domino92
Relic Hunter

System Shock, but that's already happening.
Old 18-10-17, 07:36   #66
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Silent Hill 1 - in the style of 2 and 3 this would be scary A.F

Dino Crisis 1 (or a sequel) - Regina was so bad ass and likable. Awesome music and interesting concepts.. why this shooter game hasn't found its place in modern gaming I have no idea?!

TRAE - Would have loved to play Core's version of anniversary so much. The classic engine in HD could have been amazing.

Driver (or sequels) - Another gem from my childhood. Awesome catchy tunes and chases.
Later sequels tried to be all modern and cooool and frankly sucked.. keep it basic and make another game!
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 11:10   #67
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Heart of Darkness.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-17, 13:46   #68
NYCL@R@
Archaeologist

Blood Rayne 2