Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 20-02-17, 02:23   #1
JWRMTR

Exclamation annoying camera shaking in TR2013 and definitive, WTF! what where they thinking?!

why did they have the camera shake so much during most cut-scenes? its f-ing annoying and gives me a headache. seriously they need to fix this PLEASE!
JWRMTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-17, 13:30   #2
Nigel Cassidy

It's funny; at first I didn't even notice the shaky cam. Then somebody mentioned it and from then on I just couldn't unsee it.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-17, 16:33   #3
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
It's funny; at first I didn't even notice the shaky cam. Then somebody mentioned it and from then on I just couldn't unsee it.
I had the same problem
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-17, 20:18   #4
Wooxman

The shaky cam is meant to make you feel as if you were there in person, holding a camcorder but having shaky hands because of the cold and the tension.

With other words: It's one of these failed attempts to make games feel more immersive. Just like film grain, lens flares and chromatic aberration. Because apparently the simulation of technical issues that every photographer and camera operator tries to avoid make video games look more real.

Last edited by Wooxman; 20-02-17 at 20:20.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-17, 20:42   #5
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
The shaky cam is meant to make you feel as if you were there in person, holding a camcorder but having shaky hands because of the cold and the tension.

With other words: It's one of these failed attempts to make games feel more immersive. Just like film grain, lens flares and chromatic aberration. Because apparently the simulation of technical issues that every photographer and camera operator tries to avoid make video games look more real.
I think their main motivations for implementing those elements are not to make things more real, but rather to make it appear more cinematic and Hollywood-esque to the player.
It's retarded of course, so I turn off as many of those features as I can when playing. Unfortunately not everything can be turned off in every game.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-17, 02:50   #6
VictorXD

I like the shaky cam

pls don't kill me
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-17, 03:12   #7
Patie
Inactive

....same...
Patie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-17, 12:15   #8
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
I think their main motivations for implementing those elements are not to make things more real, but rather to make it appear more cinematic and Hollywood-esque to the player.
It's retarded of course, so I turn off as many of those features as I can when playing. Unfortunately not everything can be turned off in every game.
I think that it's a mixture of both. For example the developers of Kane & Lynch 2 deliberately tried to emulate the look of videos that are shot with a phone in order to make the game feel more real. Thus the cam in the game is shaky as hell and there's far more lens flares than usual. Because self made phone videos on YouTube apparently are more real than, you know, just a normal cam that looks like you were watching everything with your own eyes.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-17, 13:16   #9
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
I think that it's a mixture of both. For example the developers of Kane & Lynch 2 deliberately tried to emulate the look of videos that are shot with a phone in order to make the game feel more real. Thus the cam in the game is shaky as hell and there's far more lens flares than usual. Because self made phone videos on YouTube apparently are more real than, you know, just a normal cam that looks like you were watching everything with your own eyes.
I'm positively disgusted to hear about that! Who the hell wants their game to look like it was filmed on a phone?!!
What's wrong with game developers today?!
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-17, 13:59   #10
JoelCaesar

I actually liked it. Especially at the campfire in the beginning of the game. It's good how they only restricted it to cutscenes though otherwise that would be a mess.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote