Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 28-08-17, 03:39   #11
HarleyCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
I will tell you what I told all my boys when they climbed behind the wheel:

You are now doing the activity that statistically is most likely to kill you.

Don't let that scare you; but never get complacent. Always have a healthy respect for what you are doing.
That's awesome, your boys will probably live forever with a source of advice like that

I'm also learning to drive.. my mid-20s! I grew up taking public transit everywhere and now need to learn in order to live outside the city It's a skill I have definitely taken for granted over the years and wish I started practicing earlier

It's good to know exactly what you personally need to practice.. for instance I'm terrible at making left-hand turns on busy intersections! Having to be confident enough to make the turn while cars are coming at you in the distance and trusting other drivers to be paying attention is nerve-wracking My uncertainty with that manuveur is what made me fail a test before! It's also important to know exactly what will be on the driving test. When I took it I was totally unprepared for having to handbrake park on a sloped road, it just seemed like a random situation that would never come up but it was a crucial part of the grading.

Taking an online sample written test did an excellent job preparing me for that portion of the testing and I got a really high mark They were free and easy to find on Google

Not that I'm in a great position to be giving advice but that's been my learning experience so far Do all that you possibly can to be prepared, hold off testing until you're completely confident behind the wheel and trust your abilities instead getting anxious! Being in control of a speeding hunk of metal can be a little scary at first.. but soon it will be as second nature as walking
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-17, 04:11   #12
Ikas90
Globetrotter

The UK driving test is the worst. It has nothing to do with safe driving whatsoever, it's all about doing exactly what a book says. And they LOVE your money!
Ikas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-17, 17:36   #13
moodydog

Took the driving test last week, passed first time!
Now to actually start learning to drive.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-17, 18:47   #14
Gabi
Super Moderator

Talking

Congratulations on passing your test.

Gabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-17, 20:10   #15
Moosey

Congrats!
Moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-17, 11:36   #16
wmcintosh
Inactive

Good for you moodydog.

Last edited by wmcintosh; 23-10-17 at 11:44. Reason: removed part of post
wmcintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-17, 16:47   #17
Sir Launcelot

Good deal. The written exam should have been a snap for an intelligent chap like yourself in any case.

As you move on to the real-world phase of your education, just keep in mind that you are not in a video game. You are controlling thousands of pounds of metal moving at speed. Act accordingly.
Sir Launcelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-17, 19:16   #18
coolaideonfire

I didn't practise privately, because only my Dad was available, and I was worried I'd learn bad habits or he'd lose patience with me, so I had one 2 hour lesson a week and passed within a year. As long as you have regular lessons, at least once a week where possible, you'll be ok.

Edit - I've just seen that you passed your theory test - well done!

Last edited by coolaideonfire; 23-10-17 at 19:28.
coolaideonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-17, 18:01   #19
moodydog

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
Good deal. The written exam should have been a snap for an intelligent chap like yourself in any case.

As you move on to the real-world phase of your education, just keep in mind that you are not in a video game. You are controlling thousands of pounds of metal moving at speed. Act accordingly.
You mean you don't get hit points in real life?? Is it even worth driving now? D:
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-17, 07:35   #20
TR-Freak
Unverified

Quote:
The main issue at the moment is, it is recommended that you spend (on average) around 47 hours on lessons and 20 hours practice in between lessons. Everyone also mentions that to get good experience, you need to practice (like everything else). The main problem is, in order to practice, you need to have someone with you who has at least 3 years driving experience.
Wait, you are allowed to operate a car in public without a driving license?
Where I live this is what the driving lessons are for.
I needed 18 hours to get my driving license (12 hours theoretical, after 6 theoretical lessons I was allowed to drive. Then it took me 18 hours driving lessons)

You get an instructor who tells you how to behave and what to do and has additional pedals and a steering wheel on the passenger seat to avoid accidents etc.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote