Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 07-03-17, 21:04   #111
Lillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by loom View Post
..people seem to hate it because they found it difficult to execute which I dont understand. On the other hand I dont think I ever managed to do it in Underworld...
I think people may find it difficult when they have the wrong type of combat settings (manual, etc - I do not recall their names), like for example in one of them, Lara puts her weapons away as soon as she stops shooting, which makes it impossible to target an enemy during the adrenaline dodge.

I did not manage to do it in Underworld either, I think it because the reticule moves too slowly - that is a horrible flaw..
Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 22:51   #112
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
Ufff, I can't tell which one is worse. Yes, AoD has the Kurtis levels and Boaz specifically is a pain in the ass, but Underworld has tons more of combat agaisn't equally frustrating enemies. The spiders, the giant lizards, the tigers... they all behave like mini-boazs. They are faster than Lara and catch her almost every time no matter if you try to evade them. And they attack again the second you get up.

Really, I can't tell which one is worse. At least in AoD the combat is only clunky, but not infuriating, because the enemies are weaker and you can kill almost everyone without much effort. Except Boaz. Boaz is hell.
I think AOD's combat is much worse , personally .

It's like whenever there's a foe near Lara and you draw your gun , the camera and Lara alike behave like they got an electric shock down the spine and act like total jerks , Underworld had similar jerky animations and camera but at least Lara is still...well , somehow controllable IDK , and the melee she preforms is quite helpful like the running kick and the head kick followed by a flip mid-air to the opposite side (with the much better implemented adrenaline dodge) .

And I find the enemies in AOD to exceptionally annoying , particularly the Cabal mercenaries , it take ages for Lara to draw a weapon and for the player to settle her crazy dance and the camera right to try their best to aim properly but the Cabal goons's shots are so quick and subsequent that they kill Lara in less than 2 seconds .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 10:07   #113
Uninvited

I don't dislike the game but overall I do prefer the original.

I think it's just an issue with handing over the task of reimagining the game to a completely different team: the game feels lacking in passion, which is natural considering they had to show a certain respect for the source material: it just was never CD's vision; they were always going to be hamstrung by the original.

If there was a way of copying and pasting sections of the original and Anniversary together, the perfect Tomb Raider game is in there somewhere.

Last edited by Uninvited; 09-04-17 at 10:14.
Uninvited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 20:28   #114
Caesum

The trick with AOD battles is to draw out the gun then shoot while moving backwards. That's it. Every other move it useless and most of the enemies are dumb af in this game.
Practically the only two moments that can really make you go mad are the Red Ghost and Boaz. But even then Red Ghost is okay when you sit and shoot, then hide the gun and go straight to the painting. Boaz is the trickiest part and I admit that this is one kind of a **** fight.

Still, most enemies are way easier than TRU ones. Especially in TRU game the jump feature is practically useless while fighting. Also the QTE during fights are very useless and I don't think I have ever managed to successfully make one. While I loved battle in Legend and Anniversary, Underworld was not only boring but also irritating.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 22:30   #115
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
The trick with AOD battles is to draw out the gun then shoot while moving backwards.
But even that isn't useful , the game has mostly human enemies : Cabal thugs , Police and those freaks in Kurtis's levels , and the thing with the combat IIRC is that the closer you get from enemies while shooting them , the sooner they die ==> the more ammo you can save , thus shooting while moving backwards isn't always the best choice , because then Lara would take more harm and waste more ammo (and Lara's backward movement is still slow and clunky) , this isn't that serious problem with the Police and Kurtis's freaks , but with the Cabal it's a pain in the arse , because like I said , they can kill Lara in a blink of an eye .

Last edited by Patrick star; 09-04-17 at 22:36.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-17, 07:29   #116
Caesum

But every enemy has a "hit" animation and they all stop for a while when got hit by a bullet. Infact you don't even have to move from your place when shooting killable enemies because pretty much all of them will be stopped by a bullet. The prime example are actually those freaks you talk about. Notice how they bug out whenever you hit them.

I only remember two levels with regular enemies that were of trouble to you, those were Bio-Research Facility and Aquatic Research Area. In one of them there were these massive bugs that were rolling around trying to kill you. They were tough. But I don't remember any other regular enemies that were hard.
Human enemies die easily. Skeletons are slow and you can just avoid them. The Red Ghost is easy pie, because you ignore him first, then go near the painting, crouch and shoot. Freaks get bugged with each shot. With Proto you just disco dance by clicking right all the time and he practically never hits you. Bugs are hard but you can just ignore them.
I only remember Boaz as being so hard I wanted to kill her, Kurtis and myself at the same time. I admit I just skip this level while playing on PC version lol. PS2 is quite easy though.

Last edited by Caesum; 10-04-17 at 07:31.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-17, 11:29   #117
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

I actually enjoy TRA more, outside the normal map of the game.

Exploring using the TRA fly cheat lets you find interesting things and explore inaccessible areas.

Also using the cheat engine and 'no puppet show' cheat, lets you get into the cutscenes and explore there, with some areas being solid ground, so you can use fly cheat and also come out of it to explore on solid areas. My favorite being the bike ride cutscene where there are really interesting things to see.

OFF MAP SECRETS... (please do not post in these old threads)

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...ghlight=puppet

Last edited by The Great Chi; 08-05-17 at 22:28.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 16:48   #118
LaraIloveYou

you're not alone, I love this version the most!

Last edited by LaraIloveYou; 01-05-17 at 16:50.
LaraIloveYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-17, 09:24   #119
SrDanielPonces

I dislike TRA for its awful color texture pallete. The colours are so dead that it kills my eyes and makes me just bored.
TRL and TRU (Thailand only, unfortunately) on the other hand are more colourful, which makes me liking them more.

Also,I kind of didn't like the changes they made on the story, comparing to TR1. Sure, they made Natla into a Lesbian bitch queen, but bringing Lara's father and **** just to make it make sense with the trilogy is a bit useless. Also the "omg I killed a person" is cringy.

EDIT: oh my god it doesn't make sense how can Lara in '96 look like that and TRL Lara, 10 years later, look the same fukign thing
TRU Lara is old tho

Last edited by SrDanielPonces; 10-05-17 at 09:29.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-17, 10:11   #120
Kivlov

I think the main problem of TRA is exaggerated difficulty (in some places), especially if you play on a PC (without a gamepad). After TRA all other TR games seemed me the easiest like a playschool. I find TRA the most difficult game from all TR series. It's a very good remake though.

Last edited by Kivlov; 24-05-17 at 10:13.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote