www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 15-06-18, 19:35   #231
Samz
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukass View Post
You are full of hate, man.

If you were listening closely, you would know you can disable all hints including Lara's advices, white paint etc. in Shadow.
Yeah so it took them 3 games to put in something we already had in Anniversary/Underworld (Where the hints were optional as well)
Old 15-06-18, 19:35   #232
Lukass
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Yeah so it took them 3 games to put in something we already had in Underworld (Where the hints were optional as well)
I know TR and Rise were bad TR experiences, but now we have what we kept asking for for so long. Isn't that great they've listened to us, finally?
Old 15-06-18, 19:40   #233
New Dwight
Archaeologist

Old 15-06-18, 19:40   #234
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Well yeah, why do you think this reboot is full of modern gaming trends like cover shooting? for mass appeal, same for the simplified puzzles/Lara constantly giving out hints.
You're overestimating the intelligence of players. Video games stopped being a niche hobby years a decade ago. These advices, white ledges, the "casualness" of the gameplay are there for a reason. I mean, I made people playtest my level at school and despite the big 3D text saying "vista" next to a cliff and the fixed camera frame implying nothing else but emptiness, they were still jumping to their death lol. And that came from experienced players.

It is a product, yes, and therefore they want it to be accessible, but it's also something built with effort and care most of the time.

Here's a quality of life advice: reality isn't black and white. It's not "either this or that". It's a complex equation, especially the gaming industry.

They made design choices because the classic recipe as we know it was outdated. That's the simple truth. Things evolve. That's why REMAKE2 is using an "over the shoulder" perspective and a more intense/grotesque approach with the gore.

Now, yes, I don't disregard they're playing safe and trying to please the mass, because news flash: the tomb raider brand is expensive and when you're at the head of a multi millions production, I'm not sure they can afford pleasing SamZ on TRF. It's not an easy task, and being an expensive brand comes with decisions.

Why do I bother, you'll just come back with another cynical answer.

Last edited by Isaac; 15-06-18 at 20:10.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-18, 19:41   #235
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Yeah so it took them 3 games to put in something we already had in Anniversary/Underworld (Where the hints were optional as well)
I low key agree but at the end of the day, what does it solve to point it out now? They do seem to be making a conscious effort to please long-term fans of the series who haven't been loving Reboot, and we can compliment that and show support now it's here.

I made a whole list of things in one post the other day that I'd personally been asking for over the last few years, that seem to have been fixed somewhat for the game. I'm not then going to continue to bitch and whine about it "not happening fast enough".

It is still not 100% to my personal liking, and I have expressed that. I'm not going to be fake about 100% loving it if I don't, but I can also acknowledge that this game seems to have made a lot of steps in the right direction.
Old 15-06-18, 19:52   #236
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukass View Post
I know TR and Rise were bad TR experiences, but now we have what we kept asking for for so long. Isn't that great they've listened to us, finally?
IKR?

Give the game a chance and complain later.
Old 16-06-18, 14:03   #237
RAID
Tomb Raider

The animations are embarrassing. They look terrible, especially for this generation. All other games I've seen at E3 have polished animations, but TR still recycles the horrible ones from TRU onwards. They need to slow down Lara, give her some weight and have her reach for her equipment. I can't stand the magically appearing/disappearing stuff in her hands/thighs. It ruins the immersion.

I was hoping that EM would have more attention to detail than CD.

They just look clumsy with missing frames. Bad animations and lack of polish are some of the reasons why Mass Effect Andromeda flopped.

Last edited by RAID; 16-06-18 at 14:07.
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-18, 15:03   #238
2001LC20
Relic Hunter

The last two being bad experiences is highly utterly extremely subjective but yeah give this game a chance even if you broke your rebooted TR copies and spent your 100$ for the game on beer!

Probably you won't be disappointed unless it's "no duals, yes hate and yes duals, yes love"