www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 21-04-17, 12:21   #241
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
But yeah , the Classic manor is a lot more cozy than the LAU manor , perhaps the existence of the high-tech section with the super modern gadgetry separated from the rest of the main hall with a glass wall takes a bit from the home-y and cozy feeling , but it's still better in Anniversary without all that . the LAU manor is based on the Hatfield house anyway , which is a British manor .
The inside of Hatfield house looks completely different, though. If anything, it looks more like the classic house than the LAU manor. In comparison the LAU manor looks more like Hogwarts.

Quote:
The thing is , I don't know what "Ramones" and "Sex pistols" refer to , to begin with
They're punk bands and you should be ashamed for not knowing this important part of music history!

I see it like this: Classic Lara is sarcastic all the time except for a few moments when she speaks to close friends. She is so sarcastic that Larson in Chronicles doesn't believe her when she tells him that there's something behind him. LAU Lara on the other hand just spits a one liner here and there but is far from being as sarcastic as classic Lara was. And as opposed to classic Lara, when LAU Lara loses her temper, then it shows. Classic Lara may be pissed off a few times, especially in AoD (and yes, I count AoD as one of the classics since it belongs to the same timeline), but she always keeps her cool (and just gets more sarcastic than usual).
Old 21-04-17, 15:56   #242
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
In comparison the LAU manor looks more like Hogwarts.
Which is British , there you go

Quote:
They're punk bands and you should be ashamed for not knowing this important part of music history!
Oh

Quote:
I see it like this: Classic Lara is sarcastic all the time except for a few moments when she speaks to close friends. She is so sarcastic that Larson in Chronicles doesn't believe her when she tells him that there's something behind him. LAU Lara on the other hand just spits a one liner here and there but is far from being as sarcastic as classic Lara was.
Um , but that might be true for Anni and Underworld Lara , but seriously , Legend Lara is a machine of sarcasm

Quote:
And as opposed to classic Lara, when LAU Lara loses her temper, then it shows. Classic Lara may be pissed off a few times, especially in AoD (and yes, I count AoD as one of the classics since it belongs to the same timeline), but she always keeps her cool (and just gets more sarcastic than usual).
We might never have seen Classic Lara loosing it entirely to the point of Legend Lara in the final cutscene , but I don't think this is entirely true , when AOD Lara gets angry or pissed off , then it really shows that she IS angry and pissed off , not just with the facial expression , but also the tone of speech and voice , and -sometimes- the body language . With many characters , in the conversations with Bouchard in Prague and Paris , with Carvier , Bernard , Pierre etc . Her feelings weren't camouflaged , she was bored , sick of everything , stressed and pissed-off due to her near-death experience and the difficult situation she was in (framed for murder , a bit lost etc) , and it shows in a lot of her conversations , she had her sarcastic moments , but never like TR3 Lara for example . (But then I don't think that this was a problem , as I'm not really fond of Classic Lara of the first three games , it's Classic Lara from TR4 onward that I like , it's then when she started to be introduced like a true well-rounded character with different sides and emotions , and I totally adore AOD Lara , aside from my feelings about the game) .
Old 21-04-17, 20:08   #243
TR1249
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
The last two???? O_o
I think he's referring to the enemies from Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Old 21-04-17, 20:08   #244
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Which is British , there you go
British, yes, but not very cosy except for the common rooms.

Quote:
Um , but that might be true for Anni and Underworld Lara , but seriously , Legend Lara is a machine of sarcasm
Legend Lara is more like a machine of American one liners with just a few sarcastic comments here and there. But most of her humour is just "I am so cool, look at me!" one liners.

Quote:
We might never have seen Classic Lara loosing it entirely to the point of Legend Lara in the final cutscene , but I don't think this is entirely true , when AOD Lara gets angry or pissed off , then it really shows that she IS angry and pissed off , not just with the facial expression , but also the tone of speech and voice , and -sometimes- the body language . With many characters , in the conversations with Bouchard in Prague and Paris , with Carvier , Bernard , Pierre etc . Her feelings weren't camouflaged , she was bored , sick of everything , stressed and pissed-off due to her near-death experience and the difficult situation she was in (framed for murder , a bit lost etc) , and it shows in a lot of her conversations , she had her sarcastic moments , but never like TR3 Lara for example . (But then I don't think that this was a problem , as I'm not really fond of Classic Lara of the first three games , it's Classic Lara from TR4 onward that I like , it's then when she started to be introduced like a true well-rounded character with different sides and emotions , and I totally adore AOD Lara , aside from my feelings about the game) .
Can you give more precise examples? I don't remember AoD Lara ever truly losing her temper and AoD is one of my most played TR games. Yes, her tone becomes a bit more harsh, but she always has herself under control.

Just compare how she reacts to the revelation about who is truly responsible for the (assumed) death of a person who was important to Lara:

(Starting at 2:08.)

https://youtu.be/GTILKyRRwEc?t=2m8s

https://youtu.be/56lYrB8YJ2o

Both situations are pretty similar and while one could argue that Lara's mother has been more important to her than Von Croy, the fact that Von Croy's death just happened a few days ago while her mother disappeared decades ago, makes VC's death more impactful (at least in my opinion). Yet, Legend Lara totally loses it, yells at Amanda and then just knocks her out. AoD Lara on the other hand, calmly states the fact that Karel was the one who killed Von Croy and then prepares herself to defeat him.
Old 21-04-17, 21:55   #245
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Legend Lara is more like a machine of American one liners with just a few sarcastic comments here and there. But most of her humour is just "I am so cool, look at me!" one liners.
Gah , I don't think I'll ever get the difference between "American" and "British" humor , at least I think Legend Lara can be hilarious at times , yep , she's given a bit of the "I am so cool ! look at me !" one-liners you're mentioning , but overall , I think she was a complete savage !

Quote:
Both situations are pretty similar and while one could argue that Lara's mother has been more important to her than Von Croy, the fact that Von Croy's death just happened a few days ago while her mother disappeared decades ago, makes VC's death more impactful (at least in my opinion). Yet, Legend Lara totally loses it, yells at Amanda and then just knocks her out. AoD Lara on the other hand, calmly states the fact that Karel was the one who killed Von Croy and then prepares herself to defeat him

Both situations are only superficially similar , but in essence and details they couldn't get any more different , imo .

the AOD situation : Von Croy is a mere mentor , a good friend at best , Lara was framed for his murder and she sets on the journey to clear her name and solve the mystery , at first , she thought Eckhardt was the murderer , but at last , she realizes it was Karel all along , she states that to him with a grumpy face , rejecting his offer .

Legend's situation : Amelia is Lara's most beloved one (supposedly) , she's been blaming herself for her -supposed- death for years , her Dad's reputation was destroyed , add to that the guilt feelings she's been also having towards Amanda , and the fact that she'd previously apologized to her twice in Kazakhstan , and when she finally got Excalibur reforged and heads back to Bolivia with a ton of hope and passion that getting her mom back is a matter of time , only to see the whole thing fails , discover that the one friend she's been apologizing to and feeling sympathetic about is the one responsible for Amelia's accident , and hearing that very friend spewing nonsense like "You idiot ! " , "you ruined everything !" , "you should've pulled out the sword!" etc . It was insane , it would make anyone lose his temper , yep , Classic Lara included (imo) .

Anyway , like I said before , Classic Lara never reached Legend Lara's level of anger and "losing it" in the last cutscene (probably mostly because we've never seen her in a situation as harsh , triggering and disappointing as that) , but I was merely commenting on you saying that AOD can get angry "at times" but it barely shows or in most cases just becomes more sarcastic in respond , which I disagree with . When AOD Lara is angry , then it shows that she's angry , and that's it .

Last edited by Patrick star; 21-04-17 at 22:13.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-17, 23:27   #246
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Gah , I don't think I'll ever get the difference between "American" and "British" humor , at least I think Legend Lara can be hilarious at times , yep , she's given a bit of the "I am so cool ! look at me !" one-liners you're mentioning , but overall , I think she was a complete savage !
Just watch a few American and British comedies and compare them to each other. It's very different most of the time.

Quote:
Both situations are only superficially similar , but in essence and details they couldn't get any more different , imo .

the AOD situation : Von Croy is a mere mentor , a good friend at best , Lara was framed for his murder and she sets on the journey to clear her name and solve the mystery , at first , she thought Eckhardt was the murderer , but at last , she realizes it was Karel all along , she states that to him with a grumpy face , rejecting his offer .

Legend's situation : Amelia is Lara's most beloved one (supposedly) , she's been blaming herself for her -supposed- death for years , her Dad's reputation was destroyed , add to that the guilt feelings she's been also having towards Amanda , and the fact that she'd previously apologized to her twice in Kazakhstan , and when she finally got Excalibur reforged and heads back to Bolivia with a ton of hope and passion that getting her mom back is a matter of time , only to see the whole thing fails , discover that the one friend she's been apologizing to and feeling sympathetic about is the one responsible for Amelia's accident , and hearing that very friend spewing nonsense like "You idiot ! " , "you ruined everything !" , "you should've pulled out the sword!" etc . It was insane , it would make anyone lose his temper , yep , Classic Lara included (imo) .
Well, that's a thing I really don't like about Legend Lara: It wasn't Amanda who "killed" her mother. Amanda told Lara to pull out the sword which probably would've teleported her to Helheim instead of her mother or would've just deactivated the portal. But instead Lara's mum thought that Amanda was talking to her and so she pulled out the sword which teleported her to Helheim. What Amanda was saying probably wasn't nonsense but instead Lara just selfishly ignored her. In Legend Lara is actually the antagonist since Amanda doesn't want to take over the world or something like that but instead she tries to get to Avalon/Helheim. But Lara just slaughters her little army and then activates the portal herself without having really studied it while Amanda seems to know more about it than Lara does.

As for Lara's relationships with VC and her mother: Core Lara had a bad relationship with her parents and Von Croy was the one who introduced her to archaeology which later would become her reason to flee her home and go on dangerous adventures. During the course of TLR they seem to have a competitive rivalry going on and to a degree respect each other. And even though they weren't best friends at the end of TLR and the beginning of AoD, Lara still seemed to care about her old mentor, or else she wouldn't have visited him in Paris.

LAU Lara on the other hand lost her mother when she was a child. By the time Legend takes place her grief should've vanished or at least waned.

Of course both of these relationships aren't 100% equal, but both characters, Von Croy and Amelia, were pretty important to classic and LAU Lara.

Quote:
Anyway , like I said before , Classic Lara never reached Legend Lara's level of anger and "losing it" in the last cutscene (probably mostly because we've never seen her in a situation as harsh , triggering and disappointing as that) , but I was merely commenting on you saying that AOD can get angry "at times" but it barely shows or in most cases just becomes more sarcastic in respond , which I disagree with . When AOD Lara is angry , then it shows that she's angry , and that's it .
Can you maybe show me an example for AoD Lara getting really angry? Even the negative responses in the multiple choice dialogues like those she can give to Bernard aren't that harsh.
Old 22-04-17, 10:41   #247
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Well, that's a thing I really don't like about Legend Lara: It wasn't Amanda who "killed" her mother. Amanda told Lara to pull out the sword which probably would've teleported her to Helheim instead of her mother or would've just deactivated the portal. But instead Lara's mum thought that Amanda was talking to her and so she pulled out the sword which teleported her to Helheim. What Amanda was saying probably wasn't nonsense but instead Lara just selfishly ignored her. In Legend Lara is actually the antagonist since Amanda doesn't want to take over the world or something like that but instead she tries to get to Avalon/Helheim. But Lara just slaughters her little army and then activates the portal herself without having really studied it while Amanda seems to know more about it than Lara does.
Still , doesn't invalidate Lara's furious reaction from her perspective . What Amanda was saying in the final cutscene probably wasn't technically nonsense , but it was at that moment for Lara , to see everything she had hoped for collapsing , she wasn't in a good timing/mood to listen to Amanda's shouts or try to give them a second thought (Hell , even Alister calls Amanda's claims "mental") , all she was seeing in front of her is an interrupted friend that wanted to kill her , and the fact that she had sympathy feelings from her that this friend doesn't deserve .

Quote:
LAU Lara on the other hand lost her mother when she was a child. By the time Legend takes place her grief should've vanished or at least waned

It may have vanished across the years , Lara accepted the truth -at that time- that her mom is dead , but when another opportunity arose to Lara that perhaps by activating the portal she could change the course of events and get her mom right back , she had all emotions , hope and passion ignited again , only to see all of that destroyed in a blink of an eye , like a re-opened wound , it was an unbearable emotional pressure and the rage came from grieve and major disappointment (imo) . Von Croy , who was a good friend of Lara died , fine , at the end she finds out that it's not that psycho who actually killed him , but instead it was another psycho in disguise , and this "other pyscho" is just a random bad guy she's just met , honestly I see no reason for her to be furious or even angry to begin with , there's no emotional impact in that "revelation" , had it been Kurtis who did it for example , I believe we would've seen an entirely different reaction from Lara .

Like I said , the two scenes are superficially similar , they're both "revelations" on the surface , but they're not even close to being even "slightly" equal .

Quote:
Can you maybe show me an example for AoD Lara getting really angry? Even the negative responses in the multiple choice dialogues like those she can give to Bernard aren't that harsh.
I've stated several times that AOD Lara was never "REALLY angry" like Legend Lara , all I'm saying is that when she gets pissed off , it does show on her , from the top of my head : her entire conversation with Bouchard in Prague after knocking him out and having him tied to a chair , she was clearly angry and pissed off about his betrayal of her in Paris and it shows in her voice tone , responses and way of speaking .

Last edited by Patrick star; 22-04-17 at 15:52.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote