www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 13-10-17, 16:46   #1
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Default So what really is this place?

For a long time it was considered to be the only known screenshots of Castle Kriegler... But is it really it?

According to all the released information, that is the documents that Elio and I released some years ago + a lot of documents and concept arts from Ash site, Castle Kriegler is a deserted ruin with upper floors completely destroyed, while only dungeons survived.

LIST-Index-v16.doc says that Castle Kriegler is an "original location of one of Eckhardt’s 14th century subterranean labs. Then it became the stronghold of the Lux Veritatis where Eckhardt was kept confined in a pit until 1945. Present day it appears as ruins though secretly the deepest levels are partially intact."

SYNOPSIS-3.doc also mentions that Castle Kriegler is in ruins. No wonder, since it was destroyed during WWII.

Bullet-pts-16-ARCHIVE.doc mentiones that "She (Lara) climbs into the castle ruins and makes her way down into the tunnels".

According to TRAOD Design Document from Tomb of Ash Castle Kriegler was completely in ruins with only underground dungeons being still intact.

There is a map of Castle Kriegler at Tomb of Ash which again shows that the castle is completely destroyed.

Infact, even the newest articles, like KRIEGLER-RIG-TURK(MORGAU)-v1.doc (ideas for GAME II) mention that Castle Kriegler is in ruins.

I remember someone saying that this is Castle Kriegler because the lions have shields with LV sign. The problem is that this sign isn't the same as the one we've seen in the game and there isn't a single artwork available with a different LV logo. Because of that I don't think these shields really have Lux Veritatis sign on them.

So, what are these renders? The documents describe Castle Kriegler as destroyed, we never see any artwork of that location and finally the castle was scrapped during initial level planning. It's rather unlikely these renders are from Germany then.

I can only see three possibilites here.
1) This is a remnant of some level in Paris/Prague. This is very plausible option, since the other two locations were quickly scrapped.
2) It's Croft Manor. Which is very unlikely since Lara's house is never mentioned in any document.
3) It's a test map. This is actually very possible, since at that time TRAOD was still in very early stages. Besides, I don't remember any of the final location being shown in Tomb Raider Chronicles extras, so it's quite possible that all of the screenshots shown there are from tech demos and test locations.

Last edited by Caesum; 13-10-17 at 16:58.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-17, 16:58   #2
FairFriend
Student

Way too detailed to be a test map.
FairFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-17, 17:00   #3
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Actually if it's a map to test graphical possibilities of the engine then it's only natural to be detailed. Infact such maps are often more detailed than final levels, since they are smaller and can fully focus on aesthetics + they are not optimized for user hardware.

Last edited by Caesum; 13-10-17 at 17:15.
Old 13-10-17, 17:40   #4
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

It's Hogwarts. Duh!
j/k

It could be Castle Kriegler, but in a flashback scene. Core loved flashbacks.
Old 13-10-17, 17:40   #5
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Probably just discarded stuff they built during the very early stages when it was "Next Generation" of Tomb Raider.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-17, 20:49   #6
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

I was thinking it was another portion of the Church in the Paris Streets at the beginning of the game that never made it into the release.
Iím only saying this bc of the spiral staircases at the right and the spiral staircase you have to climb from Bouchards Hideout to the Churchís main floor with the boxing ring.
Old 13-10-17, 23:10   #7
Boobandie
Professor

Intact castle for the WWII flashback.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-17, 00:33   #8
Zreen001
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Intact castle for the WWII flashback.
I'm thinking this as well, since that scene somehow had the most detailed information on it as an FMV. And on the return to the castle it probably would've been a run down version of the whole place after the Golem, Eckhardt, and Karel had their way with the Kurtis folks.
Old 14-10-17, 21:05   #9
Ruu11
Hobbyist

It's true that we always think that these screenshots belong to the Castle Kriegler, but actually we really don't know! I never thought in the possibility that it can be just an early TEST LEVEL or maybe a flashback... I really love some theories here exposed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(btw, could those lions in the stairs have any relation with this symbol???)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-17, 21:35   #10
Caesum
Tomb Raider

The idea about the screenshots being from Castle Kriegler FMV is very interesting and quite possible, but... FMV-Kriegler-3-v'08.doc never mentions any staircase other than the one leading to the tower and the only artworks to show Castle Kriegler are from the flashback Kurtis shows Lara in the biodome. And in that cutscene there's only the last part of the FMV, the one with Eckhardt getting free.