www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 15-10-17, 04:35   #1
benjamin_2010
Archaeologist

Default The Forgotten Tomb Raider?

It has been almost 15 years (oh my god) since Angel of Darkness was released. The Tomb Raider series was arguably at a peak of popularity, with the first 5 games enjoying massive success and the 2 movies starring Angelina Jolie doing pretty well in the box office. A 3 year hiatus brought about the much-anticipated sequel for the "next generation" of TR.

The Angel of Darkness is infamous for its flawed delivery: critics panned the controls and claimed it was unfinished. Fans love it or hate it. It has almost become a "cult classic" at this point, with diehard fans who dream of finishing out the proposed Trilogy. The memory does live on in many fan's hearts.

Me? I do not remember the last time I played The Angel of Darkness. It may have been almost a decade ago. I have so many memories of playing this game to death when it was released... and I miss it dearly. However, I no longer own a PS2 to play my original copy, and I have heard too many frustrating opinions of the PC copy to bother buying it. For me, AOD has withered away into the recesses of my memory and I rarely think about the game anymore.

With so few options to replay the game on modern systems, has the Angel of Darkness has become a forgotten entry in the TR franchise?

Last edited by benjamin_2010; 15-10-17 at 04:37.
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 04:55   #2
ThatSassyKid

Forgotten? It's the most overrated game in the TR fandom lmao.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 05:51   #3
Zreen001
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin_2010 View Post
Me? I do not remember the last time I played The Angel of Darkness. It may have been almost a decade ago. I have so many memories of playing this game to death when it was released... and I miss it dearly. However, I no longer own a PS2 to play my original copy, and I have heard too many frustrating opinions of the PC copy to bother buying it. For me, AOD has withered away into the recesses of my memory and I rarely think about the game anymore.

With so few options to replay the game on modern systems, has the Angel of Darkness has become a forgotten entry in the TR franchise?
I last played AoD about a week ago
What frustrating opinions are there about the PC version? There's mods featured here on TRF that expands it so much better than it was previously.
The game is a goldmine for creativity and imagination as to "what could've been". Think of it like if Legend was CD's last game and ended up not doing Anniversary or Underworld and went straight to the Reboot--thinking about the could've-beens make for a much better narrative in my honest opinion than what ultimately turned out and that's what I fear might've happened to AoD had it continued in its form.
It was too ahead of its time, maybe 5-6 years off for the idea they wanted for it, and it shows.

It is not forgotten, and there's an active base continually interacting with the game and still asking questions about it.
Just look at the activity on this sub forum for instance.
Old 15-10-17, 07:46   #4
trfansince96
Hobbyist

You're making it seem like a PS2 is impossible to get. They're like $20.
trfansince96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 08:08   #5
Caesum
Tomb Raider

You must have been really trying hard not to look into the AoD section. TRAOD has been having its comeback for several years right now:

1. Sasho released his patch to speed up running, enable some special moves and graphical effects.
2. Nakamichi created patches that enable special effects + fixed many graphical glitches in levels and character meshes. Also, just a month or so ago he released AOD Animation Exporter.
3. Rewak released improved FMVs with better quality.
4. SLAYER released an "ultimate patch" which combined all the least buggy levels and models from all different TRAOD versions (best to be used with nakamichi's fixes).

^ These patches make PC TRAOD just so much better in many way. Some people say it makes PC version ever better than PS2.

Also, apparently you haven't seen TRAOD story documents being released constantly since 2013. First Elio and I released a bunch of old story documents regarding the first game alongside with brief ideas for the GAME II. Then Tomb of Ash released A LOT of different documents, artworks etc. about both TRAOD and TRAE. Murti Schofield, Peter Connelly and other Core members have been actively giving us more and more information about TRAOD, GAME II and spin-offs.

Last edited by Caesum; 15-10-17 at 08:10.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 08:32   #6
Mani_Man
Archaeologist

It seems there goes not a week by where people dont mention AOD.
I was really excited because i thought there was a game i have not yet seen...damn you OP for getting my hopes up high. XD

EDIT: But then i should have been suspicious about it being in the AOD part of the forum. XD

Last edited by Mani_Man; 15-10-17 at 08:33.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 17:48   #7
benjamin_2010
Archaeologist

AOD is definitely only remotely popular on this website among a core sect of fans

Just because there are 20-some hardcore fans writing fan fics and making patches for the game doesn't mean it's relevant to anyone outside that group in any way.
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 17:59   #8
Caesum
Tomb Raider

I'm not sure if you're serious or joking now. I mean, what does define popularity in your opinion? I think the idea of a developing modding community and the amount of new official informations surfacing respectively since 10th anniversary sounds like the game absolutely isn't forgotten. Actually, I'd be more worried about Legend, which 10 years after the release still doesn't even have proper modding tools and never received any unofficial fix apart from click4dylan's next-gen patch (the same guy who made some fixes to TRAOD). Same applies to TR5 which is just as forgotten.

Also I don't get what you mean by "fan fics made by core fanatics". I can assure you that these documents I mentioned are official and Murti Schofield can confirm this. Heck, if you check Tomb of Ash you can find articles with Murti's newest additions to the story of GAME I and GAME II. Just yesterday there was a meeting with Murti Schofield and Peter Connelly at PLAY EXPO (I'm pretty sure I can see Eric Loren - Kurtis voice - there too).

Last edited by Caesum; 15-10-17 at 18:16.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 21:03   #9
annacroft
Hobbyist

Location: Parisian Backstreets, somewhere in a parallel universe...

AOD, in my opinion, (again this is my opinion which does not of course make it fact) is the masterpiece that had its canvas ripped in half just weeks before it was released. There is so much missing that makes many fans like myself constantly wonder "what if" and try and piece together what it should've been like. By modding the game, travelling through its game files, adding and subtracting coding where possible, we get closer to what should've been. I think you are totally right in the fact it has been "forgotten" by many, but the dedicated fans will always keep it alive and kicking.
Old 15-10-17, 21:27   #10
Zelda master
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Forgotten? It's the most overrated game in the TR fandom lmao.
Depends, which of the two fandoms are we talking about specifically?

Edit: I initially missed the TR part in the post...

Last edited by Zelda master; 15-10-17 at 21:28.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote