Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Fan and Community Showcase

Old 20-07-15, 08:43   #1751
Tyrannosaurus

So here's a general question to anyone who has ever set up a website. I'm not very tech savvy myself, but the time has come for me to have an author site of my own. I don't blog, since I prefer to spend precious free hours and creative energy on writing something I intend to publish instead.

In general, which is better? WordPress or Bluehost?
Tyrannosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-15, 18:38   #1752
Profc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus View Post
So here's a general question to anyone who has ever set up a website. I'm not very tech savvy myself, but the time has come for me to have an author site of my own. I don't blog, since I prefer to spend precious free hours and creative energy on writing something I intend to publish instead.

In general, which is better? WordPress or Bluehost?

I think that WordPress is much better. Because it's used by more people. I have never heard of Bluehost. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.
Profc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-15, 15:45   #1753
CerebralAssassin

So....I haven't written anything in a long-ass time.Just too busy with work and chess tournaments etc.

But now I want to get down and dirty with it again.I wanna write that first novel...get it out of the way.I'm gonna do some preliminary brain-storming to generate heaps of ideas first...I wanna have hundreds,if not thousands of ideas under my belt first before starting the first draft.For me,it would be too risky to start a draft right now out of blind faith...at some point there's a real high probability that at some point I might run out of ideas and crash and burn,abandoning the novel and wasting all that time for nothing.Not critisizing the writers who do it this way of course...if it works for you go for it,it's just it has a high probability of failure for newbie writers such as myself.

So...mind mapping is my go-to technique.I've used it before and it's an excellent tool to get the creative juices flowing.You guys know any other brain-storming techniques?
CerebralAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 18:45   #1754
TR luver7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralAssassin View Post
So....I haven't written anything in a long-ass time.Just too busy with work and chess tournaments etc.

But now I want to get down and dirty with it again.I wanna write that first novel...get it out of the way.I'm gonna do some preliminary brain-storming to generate heaps of ideas first...I wanna have hundreds,if not thousands of ideas under my belt first before starting the first draft.For me,it would be too risky to start a draft right now out of blind faith...at some point there's a real high probability that at some point I might run out of ideas and crash and burn,abandoning the novel and wasting all that time for nothing.Not critisizing the writers who do it this way of course...if it works for you go for it,it's just it has a high probability of failure for newbie writers such as myself.

So...mind mapping is my go-to technique.I've used it before and it's an excellent tool to get the creative juices flowing.You guys know any other brain-storming techniques?
I'm in the same predicament. My creative juices as you say are frozen solid. But things that have helped me are drawing and reading. Books inspire me and then getting what's in my mind out onto paper in the form of a drawing helps inspire creativity. I also paint and listen to music to get a feel for it.

I miss the days when I could sit down and write out 30 pages without even flinching. but you'll get there i think your plan of action is a good one. I like knowing that I have everything mapped out or else I'll get off track or forget what I wanted to happen and then it's a huge mess.

I'm in the middle of writing 7 novels right now. A majority of them I've been writing for 5 years. It takes time.
TR luver7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 18:49   #1755
pirate1802

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR luver7 View Post
I'm in the middle of writing 7 novels right now.
Whoa
pirate1802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 07:00   #1756
CerebralAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR luver7 View Post
I'm in the same predicament. My creative juices as you say are frozen solid. But things that have helped me are drawing and reading. Books inspire me and then getting what's in my mind out onto paper in the form of a drawing helps inspire creativity. I also paint and listen to music to get a feel for it.

I miss the days when I could sit down and write out 30 pages without even flinching. but you'll get there i think your plan of action is a good one. I like knowing that I have everything mapped out or else I'll get off track or forget what I wanted to happen and then it's a huge mess.

I'm in the middle of writing 7 novels right now. A majority of them I've been writing for 5 years. It takes time.
yeah...books and music inspire me too...forgot about that.Need to start reading again lol....read some new authors and genres too to inspire creativity.

I dunno how Stephen King churns out book after book after book every 3 months...

writing 7 books?that's quite a lot.
CerebralAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-15, 03:49   #1757
Hiroyuki

I was just reading Greenkey's (Jenni's) fanfic writing guide and it inspired me to put finger to keyboard for the first time in ages. This fanfic is only 180 words long so I will post it here. It probably breaks all the rules I was just reading about but for some reason it just came to me all at once.

Quote:
My name is Lara, but you probably knew that already if you are reading my tale. I have made my home in Vilcabamba these four years now. I can sneak around unobserved here, emerging from time to time to forage for food. The old stone houses in the caves are a perfect hideaway. There’s one that can only be accessed through a small window, too small for the bears to get through, so it's now my den. My bed is straw, and my food invariably raw, but I’m used to roughing it, so that’s ok.

Today I heard something I’ve not heard in ages. A human voice. She was singing to herself as she sauntered into the caves, her voice echoing in time to her footsteps. I felt a sudden excitement. Could it be Her? The swinging ponytail seemed to confirm it. Unable to contain myself, I rushed out to greet her, my namesake!

Startled, Lara drew her guns and shot once, twice. Her attacker fell dead.

“Bloody wolves!”, she muttered, and continued on into the caves.
Hiroyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-15, 10:51   #1758
Zebra

^Haha, that's cruel . But also pretty clever !

I'm currently trying to figure out the plot for a game I'm working on. My biggest problem right now is finding a good balance between reality and fiction as I want the story to feel very grounded but at the same time, I have to deviate from reality to make things more interesting. The more real world elements and facts I include, the more I limit myself in my storytelling but the more creative licence I take, the less authentic the whole thing becomes... I'm sort of having a tough time deciding where exactly I want to draw the line.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-18, 10:14   #1759
bagas

Hey! I like writing too and I'm in the middle of something at the moment, but today, I'm not here to talk about my writing. I'm here to help my friend promote his writing hehe. His newest work is titled "Killing Death 101"

Here is the synopsis!
Quote:
Pretty much what the title said, a simple story about a boy messing with the forces of nature. Sure at first the superpowers and stuff are pretty cool, but after pissing off this ancient primal force of nature called "death", things started to take a turn for the worse. It's basically an unfortunate tale of three friends that began with a simple search for fame and attention.
If you're interested, you can read it here!
If you like what you're reading, don't forget to give any critiques or comments right here or on wattpad. I'll send your critiques right to my pal. I'm sure he'll appreciate it!

On the other hand, what are the most accessible platform to publish your writings? Is it better to publish your writing to wattpad or maybe make your own blog or tumblr, etc?
bagas is offline   Reply With Quote