Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 04-05-12, 13:33   #1
motoleo
Inactive

Default Playing the FMV Scenes, Tomb Raider

Can modding help us play these scenes in Tomb Raider?

Tomb Raider Anniversary

Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness

Tomb Raider 3

Tomb Raider Last Revelation

Last edited by motoleo; 04-05-12 at 13:34.
motoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 13:49   #2
RoxasKennedy

It depends on few factors:

1) If you mean to play those FMV cutscenes in a TRLE level, then yeah. TRNG is capable of FMV playback.
2) If you mean to play these FMV's like they're levels, then no, because they're movie formats. You can't hack an FMV format into an playable level.

And if your situation is described in the factor 2), then congratulations, you're in the wrong section.
RoxasKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 14:06   #3
motoleo
Inactive

It was hard to explain what I mean, but you did it exactly right!

I mean to recreate these FMV's into levels. This doesn't include hacking the FMV, this is a recreation, where you can actually do what's shown in the cutscene.

With Tomb Raider Anniversary, I expected the game, when you played, to be that. You slide down, followed by bats, then you swing on the pole.

The game was close to it, but it wasn't exactly what happened.

[IMG]http://i45.************/2hzhh5g.png[/IMG]

It was almost exactly the same. Except that instead of running out to this beautiful vista, and having bats push you onto a slope, you came out of the cave through some kind of wooden bridge that broke, THEN you slid down the slope. And instead of swinging on a pole to land on the ground, the slope took you straight down.

Last edited by motoleo; 04-05-12 at 15:00.
Old 04-05-12, 14:10   #4
RoxasKennedy

Well, you could recreate them, but most of these levels would be VERY short, since these FMV's mainly happen in one room or few rooms.
Only one you "could" recreate would be the Anniversary one (but you'd have to remake the whole level, too), and the TR4 ending (I've seen one level where the ending wwas recreated, but it was at the beginning of the level).
RoxasKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 14:24   #5
motoleo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxasKennedy View Post
Well, you could recreate them, but most of these levels would be VERY short, since these FMV's mainly happen in one room or few rooms.
Only one you "could" recreate would be the Anniversary one (but you'd have to remake the whole level, too), and the TR4 ending (I've seen one level where the ending wwas recreated, but it was at the beginning of the level).
I like how you're talking. I thought I saw a recreation of the Last Revelation level too. It being at the beginning makes sense because you played the whole underground part. That's cool, what was it called?

These levels would be short, like 2-3 minutes or less. Basically, we're just taking the FMV scene and making it playable. You could almost do it in TRI/TRA remember the Natla elevator shaft thing that was actually in the game?

Since it is so short, it wouldn't take that long to do.

Why would I only be able to recreate the Anniversary one? The AoD one is the one I really want to do. And why would I have to recreate the entire level?

Can't you just recreate a 2-3 minute portion? And since they exist in FMV's, (like the TR3 one) there's not really a 'level' to be recreated. It's more like... you know, recreating the FMV.

Last edited by motoleo; 04-05-12 at 14:56.
Old 04-05-12, 15:03   #6
Zebra

The AoD ending FMV is already kind of playable. That room is an actual room in the game and I'm pretty sure you can play Boaz Returns with Lara using some of that char-mod-stuff.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 15:28   #7
motoleo
Inactive

[IMG]http://i49.************/wmckd4.png[/IMG]

Cool. I've always wanted to swing on that rope. The thing about the Angel of Darkness ending is that when you played it, you got as far as the jump, but, after you've jumped, you can see Lara fall to the ground, but then it goes to a cutscene and she's hanging onto the thing's leg.

This whole cutscene would be cool to do, instead of watching it, doing it. To feel the whole place shaking as you try to run, with all the equipment flying around everywhere as it turns to white, it would be possible to do, wouldn't it?
Old 04-05-12, 15:30   #8
Zebra

That would be a lot of work for almost no gameplay.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 15:41   #9
motoleo
Inactive

That's okay, I don't mind. These are some of the greatest moments in Tomb Raider. I was thinking of having the audio from the cutscene play in the background with special effects, and maybe prolonging it for a little bit. Slow motion or something. But it would be so cool.

I was also thinking of putting it into one single package, and call it Tomb Raider Greatest Moments or something like that. You could choose which one you wanted to do.

How long do you think something like this would take?
Old 04-05-12, 15:49   #10
Titak

Creating the rooms and the textures won't take much time.
But making it as close as the room in AOD will, because you will need to make loads of custom objects.
And you will need to make new animations for Lara and animate the objects and script stuff so all the things she does and all the things that are happening around her in that FMV will work, if it is even possible to make it all work...

So, yeah, a lot lot lot lot looooooooooot of work for such a small playable section.

Have you ever dabbled with the TRLE before?
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote