Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 04-05-12, 15:49   #11
psiko

years.
But I wonder, what do you think about the few level designers that spend their energy in creating something new, unique and worthy and not remakes?
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 16:10   #12
motoleo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiko View Post
years.
But I wonder, what do you think about the few level designers that spend their energy in creating something new, unique and worthy and not remakes?
They're some of the most talented people I've ever seen. I love the textures and the environments they do. But what really intrigues and interests me is doing things that stick to the same script and being close to the actual creator's stories so that it feels like you're playing their game.

Everyone's always wanted to do the moves from cutscenes and do what they saw in the commercials. I've played the Last Revelation level where the tomb actually collapsed around her. That's what interests me. But seeing the creativity and some of the things they have created actually inspired me to think up this idea. I was hoping someone would have thought of this before. It's going where you previously couldn't go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
[IMG]http://i49.************/wmckd4.png[/IMG]
Creating the rooms and the textures won't take much time.
But making it as close as the room in AOD will, because you will need to make loads of custom objects.
And you will need to make new animations for Lara and animate the objects and script stuff so all the things she does and all the things that are happening around her in that FMV will work, if it is even possible to make it all work...

So, yeah, a lot lot lot lot looooooooooot of work for such a small playable section.

Have you ever dabbled with the TRLE before?
Oh, I thought I could just go off of what was already there. The room was made already. Would it really be that much work? I thought AoD would be the easiest one. The hardest one would probably be TR3. I haven't done this before.

Last edited by motoleo; 04-05-12 at 16:19.
motoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 16:12   #13
Anja

well, AOD isn't created with TRLE so you would be starting from scratch.
Anja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 16:36   #14
motoleo
Inactive

That's fine actually, because what I could do is enhance it, make the room bigger so that it takes a little longer to run out. Which, the cutscene room looked a little bigger than the in-game room anyway. It was also colored a bit differently. I just hope the right balance of similarity can be achieved.

I'm also not sure if the ropes were made to swing on in the original one, the way I would do it is have an animation when you're on the leg, of her holding that Glaive up to it, then make it so that the player could swing on one of the ropes, back and forth until they dropped down.

Last edited by motoleo; 04-05-12 at 16:42.
Old 04-05-12, 16:57   #15
Titak

Yeah, sure...

So, have you in fact been dabbling with the TRLE already?
Because it sounds to me like you haven't. Judging from the things you want to achieve/do you don't know about the limitations it has.

Everything will have to be made from scratch and the TRLE isn't like the AOD engine so many things will not be possible.
Having loads of deail like that in one area is one of them.
TRLE levels tend to lag a lot when there's a lot of detail.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 18:40   #16
motoleo
Inactive

I'm sorry about my novice. I've never touched a Level Editor before. I'm new to all this.

So, it's possible, but since it's running on a different engine, there's no way to make it look exactly like what was already there..

Do I get to work with the Lara model that they already had?

Last edited by motoleo; 04-05-12 at 19:05.
Old 04-05-12, 20:39   #17
felipe929

So.. forgive me if i dont understand you, but you want to play the Tomb Raider FMVs like they were levels?

I think thats kinda impossible, since they're not cutscenes (they aren't made in the game engine, but in 3d modelling programs and then converted into video files) and all the games after TR5 are totally incompatible with the level editor since they have their own engines (Maya for TR6).

The best thing you can do is recreate some key-moments from the scenes, and maybe add some further gameplay, because i dont imagine people wanting to download a 1 minute length level with basicaly anything to do, since some FMVs have impossible-to-do things on TRLE (i cant imagine a TRLE level only with Lara on a falling hellicoper and then trying to junp off the pond as the hellicopter sinks)

And since you have no experience in TRLE, let me break it down to you, its hard, people often give up projects, because a lot of reasons, TRLE levels now are more pollished, and they take longer to do, if you want a new object, you have to model it on another software, export, also had to deal with the community: "When you're going to release?" "This part is wrong" "i dont like this textures, they are too streched" and so on, so let me welcome you to this tough world that is TRLE level making.
felipe929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 21:20   #18
Titak

^
Recreating is indeed what motoleo is talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
Do I get to work with the Lara model that they already had?
No.
You can only work with a AOD style model that has been made for the TRLE.
There are several AOD style outfits out there.
They look very good but they are not the actual AOD model which would not work in the TRLE anyway.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 01:38   #19
motoleo
Inactive

Felipe929: Yes, I want to recreate FMV's to be played like a level.

If I have everything I need, I'd like to jump right in and start- I have free time.

But, let me get this straight:
  • The LE Lara model, is a special model that was never used in game
  • We don't have access to anything that CORE Design has created
  • Everything must be done from scratch
  • The LE has functional limitations (graphical, underpowered, grid based)

So, I can't do anything next-generation? Now, I just have to pick one FMV from one of the games and stick to it. There's plenty to choose from.

Last edited by motoleo; 05-05-12 at 01:40.
Old 05-05-12, 04:21   #20
God Horus

You should know that...
  • this will take months if not years
  • not easy for a beginner
  • many things are not possible with TRLE, it will be very limited
  • some things just AREN'T possible / you would have no control of Lara becasue it would be all animation
  • no matter how much you want this - if you do do it, you'll look back after and realize how pointless/wasteful it was
God Horus is offline   Reply With Quote