Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 02-04-12, 15:25   #21
XtremeJenn

Yeah check out the helmet camera that dude in the last pic has to wear. That is probably about 10 kilos worth of head gear.

Thanks for putting up bigger versions of these! There are literally none on the net that I could find. Did it say in the special features if the did both skydives and base jumps for the stunt? I'm pretty sure they filmed the exits from the 1200' building but some of the aerial footage was done from a helicopter skydive, with the third guy filming from a wingsuit above them.
XtremeJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 15:50   #22
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeJenn View Post
Yeah check out the helmet camera that dude in the last pic has to wear. That is probably about 10 kilos worth of head gear.

Thanks for putting up bigger versions of these! There are literally none on the net that I could find. Did it say in the special features if the did both skydives and base jumps for the stunt? I'm pretty sure they filmed the exits from the 1200' building but some of the aerial footage was done from a helicopter skydive, with the third guy filming from a wingsuit above them.
Same three did all the jumps, two wingsuits and the cameraman sometimes with just a parachute. The cameraman did not always have the camera on his head, sometimes he seemed to have it in his arms when he was jumping of the building. They did 28 jumps, 8 from the building and the rest from the helicopter right over Hong Kong. The suits need a fair bit of height before they can work properly, so they would jump from the helicopter, go down to around 1000ft or less and then fly between the buildings. The building they were jumping from was 1200ft high, and they opened the parachutes just over 200 feet, they went down very fast! The suits could not fly that well from that low a height they were jumping from the helicopter at 5000ft which gave the suits more time to work.

Another look at the head camera.

The three running for the jump off the building, the cameraman has a crash helmet on and is holding the camera.

Bottom view as they jump.

Top view after the chutes open, the cameraman opens his earlier so he can film them. They did not really get that far away from the building, but went down like arrows.

The helicopter going up, this time it seems the cameraman is going to have a go at being a flying squirrel as well. He has to keep up with them I suppose. Which would be why the camera is on his head, he needs his arms extended for the suit to work.

A jump from the helicopter and the cameraman opening his chute.

They also had a helicopter filming them flying

Last edited by aussie500; 02-04-12 at 23:53.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 17:55   #23
Avalon SARL

I don't know about the first movie, but I don't think she did the stunts because they were very dangerous (although I read that she did bungee jump).

But on the second movie, she had training and was able to pull of some, but perhaps not the entire scene of every stunt.

I watched COL making of and it was amazing she did the upside down rope slide from the high mountain cave in china

The jet ski, I don't know if she did it or not, it seems hard for her to do it knowing that it took her some time to be able to ride it

Watching the making of the movie will give you better answers
Avalon SARL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 18:58   #24
Admles

Don't trust a making of documentary, it's just as much a production as the movie. They only show you what they want you to see - anything that makes the actors look better.
Admles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 19:45   #25
Phlip
Inactive

I can't believe everyone in the Extras videos, including Angelina lied about doing her own stunts! Damn, my respect for her has very much gone down, whether it's what you do in Hollywood or not it's a lie. =/
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 23:22   #26
XtremeJenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
The suits could not fly that well from that low a height they were jumping from the helicopter at 5000ft which gave the suits more time to work.
Yeah, that's true. Wingsuits need at least ~1500' in order to get it flying well. People have jumped from 1000' with it but it's not like it does anything. You just fall straight down. I can jump from 1000' and cover about 800-1000' without a suit but I have an unusual body type that allows that kinda flight.

Thanks for posting all that info! Interesting stuff. I'll have to get ahold of that dvd so I can watch it all.
Old 02-04-12, 23:47   #27
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
I can't believe everyone in the Extras videos, including Angelina lied about doing her own stunts! Damn, my respect for her has very much gone down, whether it's what you do in Hollywood or not it's a lie. =/
That was one reason why I lost a bit of respect for her as well, and she still does it, we saw her do it with Salt. The stunt people only dress like the star when they are going to be appearing in the film. Yes they do all the setups to make sure anything safe enough for the star to do, is absolutely safe. But you see a stuntperson dressed the same as the star it will be them doing the dangerious stuff. The stunt double does the daring jumps, the star gets their pretty face pasted on the end pretending they had just done the jump, that is why they are called actors.

So in COL Angelina rode a horse, but did not do any stunts, she just pretended to fire the rifle. Her actually shooting anything is done with a special effect to make it look like she just shot the target, her firing and the target being shot are not connected, although they can time it to make it seem so.

Angelina got to ride a jet ski, that was it ride it in a straight line without falling of it. Although she did a lot of practice apparently they did not think she was proficient enough to appear more in the film doing it.

Angelina got to do a lot of hanging around supported by a safety harness, she did not even have to actually use her hands to stay there so it was not any great incredible feat. Doing it upside down was, I doubt I would want to be upside down for that long, and they seemed to do the shot several times before getting a break. So no Angelina was in no danger of falling of the skid of a helicopter, or falling down a cliff, she was also in the rig when doing the statue jumping, although again she made it look good. Angelina does not do any stunts where pyrotechnics are near by and she could be hurt. Angelina got to do a bit of paddling in a boat, a bit of very safe driving on a bike. Most of the bike work she did in COL was done in front of a green screen on a bike that was fixed in place. I have not watched the first movie for a while, but I think all her bike "stunts" in the first one were on bike fixed to a motorized lift, stationary stand or fixed to a dolly being pulled along with the camera.

Some of the underwater scenes in COL, were not even underwater, but I have not dug up those pictures yet. Angelina never parachuted anywhere, she got to pretend to jump, and then got lifted down via the usual crane type rig. So yes she was doing what she would call a stunt, hanging around in a safety harness, but it was not the stunt the fans would be thinking she did.

Unfortunately these film makers are very careful with what pictures are released, so it is not easy to get a look at how they do it, especially when they are in collusion with the stars delusion they are a stuntwoman. And as we have seen with Josh Lustic, sometime even a guy can look a lot like Angelina. So what chance have we of picking out when an actual stunt woman replaces her, maybe Angelina did not do all the wire work in the bungee fighting scene, maybe again she only did the bits where she was stationary or making a safe jump. Maybe it was someone else whizzed around the room pretending to run around the walls. I posted one pic of that and if you really look at it, can we be sure it is actually Angelina? Even though who ever did it did not seem to touch the walls at any point maybe they thought it too dangerious. Any where where you see "Lara actually bouncing of the walls, it is a stuntman not Angelina, same with the fighting while suspended. Angelina did the bungie ballet, although she did not jump of the side to start it, that was done with a different rig to the one she was suspended from in the middle of the room. And none of the bungie ballet rigs actually went close to the floor. Angelina was suspended on a board for the close to the floor shots, nothing dangerious about it, although I suppose you could still call it a stunt. The star was lying around instead of just hanging around.

(I will add some pictures here later, just having a bit of trouble finding them at the moment)

If someone actually thinks Angelina did a real stunt, say so and we will look at how it was done, and see if we can work out how it was done.

Last edited by aussie500; 02-04-12 at 23:50.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 01:37   #28
Phlip
Inactive

The pictures so far are really interesting, thanks for them.
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 02:28   #29
CiaKonwerski
Inactive

She does do some of her own stunts. A lot more than some other actors and actresses. Obviously not every single thing is done by her, but if you watch the Behind The Scenes feature on SALT, it shows her doing a good majority of things. Such as hanging from the apartment buildings, obviously there is a rope, but there wasn't a double. Also of her on the moving truck.
http://jerrygarrett.wordpress.com/20...a-jolies-salt/

Last edited by CiaKonwerski; 03-04-12 at 02:35.
CiaKonwerski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 03:32   #30
XtremeJenn

Actors doing stunts is like a 10 year old kid going to an amusement park and then claiming he participated in extreme sports after riding a rollercoaster.

BTW Aussie500, I'm glad theres finally a subject on this forum that we agree on.

Last edited by XtremeJenn; 03-04-12 at 03:34.