Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 01-04-12, 07:49   #11
Admles

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeJenn View Post
As well as the wingsuit base jump. Both of the jumpers in that scene are from a Swedish base jumping team, I forget the name of it. One of the guys runs the world base race now.

http://movieclips.com/Q3FKi-lara-cro...ngsuit-escape/
I'm not surprised.

Stars and the directors / producers etc will always say crap like "oh they did all their own stunts", but it's crap - honestly, there is no way they are going to risk the star of a multi-million dollar movie getting injured. Stunt doubles can be replaced easily, but the star? Not so much!
Admles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 09:01   #12
WWETombRaider

Well she said she did all that motorbike, jet-ski, handling the shotgun and propelling down a rock cliff stunts + minor injuries. Can't be sure if that's true though.

Last edited by WWETombRaider; 01-04-12 at 09:02.
WWETombRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 09:29   #13
TippingWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admles View Post
I'm not surprised.
Stunt doubles can be replaced easily, but the star? Not so much!
Reading that kinda made me sad . Oh well it's a doggie dog world out there!
TippingWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 10:22   #14
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWETombRaider View Post
Well she said she did all that motorbike, jet-ski, handling the shotgun and propelling down a rock cliff stunts + minor injuries. Can't be sure if that's true though.
She was propelled down the cliff face and then lifted back up, not quite the same thing, although hanging upside down that long from a harness was probably hard work. All she had to do was hang there and shoot the gun on cue. Angelina did no stunts on the bikes, just riding a bike is not a stunt, and I personally do not class siting on a bike while it is attached to a moving platform or automated to go through motions as being a stunt. What actual stunt did Angelina ever do on a bike, or do you class her not falling of while riding/sitting on it a stunt? She struggled to stay on the jet ski, let alone do anything fancy. While learning to ride a jet ski is an accomplishment, it is not a stunt. She should have been able to fire a shotgun considering all the training she had, but whether she actually fired any live rounds during filming is another thing. Movies are mainly make believe, someone does the stunts, it is not usually the star.

The stuntman doing a daring stunt, he was probably the same one who jumped the bike over the cars.

Angelina Jolie sitting around look pretty, all she had to do was sit on it, not that hard to do. Probably she was still wearing a safety harness in case she managed to fall off.

The stuntman who did most of the work in the chandelier scene.

Angelina got to jump of a few things, stand around for some closeups, be whizzed around the room on wires, while nothing was in her way and she touched nothing, she just had to look good with her little rubber knife. And she got to do some pretend fighting on the balcony. Yes I suppose pretend fighting is a stunt, hard work learning your moves and managing to actually not hit anyone. Standing on the chandelier while suspended from a safety harness was probably hard as well, but was it a stunt? She did get to jump off a few times for her close ups.

And they plan out and test the stunts to make sure they are safe, so no the stunt people are not considered expendable, they are needed to make the star look good. Although if one manages to get hurt it at least does not hold up production.

Miss Jolie doing some fancy footwork while shooting, another of those really hard stunts.

And as usual the person who actually did the dangerious bit of jumping over to the moving beam, looked nothing like Angelina.

Last edited by aussie500; 01-04-12 at 11:56.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 13:46   #15
Admles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
And they plan out and test the stunts to make sure they are safe, so no the stunt people are not considered expendable, they are needed to make the star look good. Although if one manages to get hurt it at least does not hold up production.
That's what I was saying - a stunt double gets hurt, they can get another one in without holding things up.

Seems like the only real stunt she pulled is telling everyone she did all her own stunts
Admles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 13:48   #16
Lukass

^ good god, guys you're nasty.
Lukass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 13:10   #17
aussie500
Golden

I went back and looked at the jet ski part after I eventually rounded up my Tomb Raider movies. Angelina did the close ups, but never appeared till the real expert went and splashed the guys on the boat, she had a brief close up spliced in to the real stunt.

A comparison pic to look at those stick thin arms, I doubt Angela was on the Jet ski at the start.

Here comes the splash, Angelina is obviously not doing the stunt.

The turn around might or might not be Angelina, I tend to think it was not, someone who has the Blu-ray version might get a better picture.

A decent picture of the roll.

And the star eventually puts in an appearance.

I am not so sure she went that close to the boat though, or even the one who stepped off the jet ski.

Not from the movie this one, but it looks similar to the one spliced into the first stunt, only from the angle it looked like she was about to fall off, the camera panned away, while she was not moving. Suspicious that.

And the real star doing the stunts was apparently Jeremy Phillips. I could not find any close up pics of him relaxing off camera in his bikini though.

Last edited by aussie500; 02-04-12 at 13:28.
Old 02-04-12, 13:59   #18
XtremeJenn

Those are some cool (and hillarious) production pictures from the first film! I didn't know that guys did that much of the bungee ballet scene but it makes perfect sense. I think they trained Angelina to do the bare minimum possible to make herself look believable and since she knew next to nothing at the start, it included a lot of training. A transformation like that, I'm sure her publicist told her to milk for all it's worth, telling everyone she did all her own stunts. That's hollywood.

All those people who are die hard Angelina fans and think that no other actress could play her really need to look at this thread and see that all she really did was act. And as long as another actress can act badass and do the accent (and look really hot), I'm sure they can pull Lara off just as well, if not better.

Edit: I managed to find the info on the Cradle of Life parachuting scenes. The base jumps were done by Team Bautasten from Sweden. And I think there was a chick doubling Angelina for the africa parachute scene.

http://www.sky-science.com/tomb_raider2.htm

http://www.skydive-safety.com/TV_Film_Tomb%20Raider.htm

Last edited by XtremeJenn; 02-04-12 at 14:16.
XtremeJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 14:14   #19
Lukass

Here you can see a dubler...

Lukass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 15:06   #20
aussie500
Golden

Actually it seems my suspicions about how much Angelina actually did of that jet ski scene are probably true. She had two stuntment doubling for her, one was slimmer and a better match than the one that did the roll. Josh Lustic did the entrance to the boat, the drive by splash, the turn and the bit where we see the arm going out to get on the boat. Jeremy Phillips only did the barrel roll, and Angelina got to look pretty as usual, you can clearly see when it is Angelina, since she is basically doing nothing much and it is close up.
While I could not find a pic of Jeremy Phillips dressed for the part I had a bit better luck with Josh Lustic. Josh could almost have skinnier chicken legs than Angelina.

And here are some more pics of the base juming team, including the third jumper, the cameraman. These are just captures from the DVD special features.

Angelina being very gently lowered into the jeep, that would have been as close as she ever got to parachuting in the movies.

Last edited by aussie500; 02-04-12 at 15:24.