Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 23-07-14, 01:50   #1
Peterstar101

Arrow The Sims (Series)

The Sims is a life simulation video game series, developed by EA Maxis and published by Electronic Arts. It is one of the most successful video games series of all time. As of September 2013, the franchise has sold more than 175 million copies worldwide.

The series was created by Maxis, before the series being being moved to The Sims Studio between 2006 and 2008. The Sims Studio then reintegrated into the new EA Maxis label in 2012.

The games in The Sims series are largely sandbox games, in that they lack any defined goals (except for some later expansion packs and console versions which introduced this gameplay style). The player creates virtual people called "Sims" and places them in houses and helps direct their moods and satisfy their desires. Players can either place their Sims in pre-constructed homes or build them themselves. Each successive expansion pack and game in the series augmented what the player could do with their Sims.

Genre: Life simulation
Developers: Maxis (2000–2006)
The Sims Studio (2006–2012)
EA Maxis (2012-present)
Publisher: Electronic Arts
First release: The Sims (January 31, 2000)
Latest release: The Sims 4: Toddler Stuff
Spin-offs: MySims, SimAnimals, The Sims Online, The Sims Medieval, The Sims: Stories (Brand), The Urbs: Sims in The City, The Sims: Bustin' Out

LATEST NEWS
The Sims 4: Toddler Stuff is out now.

Last edited by Peterstar101; 08-09-17 at 23:06.
Peterstar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-14, 14:59   #2
Lara's home

The Sims 1 has amazing music. And the language is much, much more charming than any of the other games' languages.
Lara's home is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-14, 15:12   #3
James_Rutland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
The Sims 1 has amazing music. And the language is much, much more charming than any of the other games' languages.
Maybe its nostalgia talking but the original was a classic. It had charm, personality and had a far more somewhat sinister world. The Sims 2 was good too, although that's when the series started to become more cartoony.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-14, 15:15   #4
tiann

Sometimes I feel that the Sims 2 peaked in terms of innovation.
tiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-14, 15:19   #5
Caesum

^ I agree. The first Sims game is the most incredible one. Recently I have bought an entire collection just to play the game once again and it's still the most enjoyable one of all the series. Everything is perfect there, music, design, gameplay. It has that unique charm that was not present in any other game. It's such a shame it works pretty bad with Windows 8.

The Sims 2 on the other hand can have some wonderful views when using custom content. It's my favourite game when it comes to story writing and building. I use it all the time to make photos. This is one of personal favourites, from a story I wrote several months ago which is called "Catherina":

On the other hand I pretty much hate The Sims 3. I dislike its lighting system, sims look and overly bugged, chaotic interface and gameplay. I also despise its highly irritating soundtrack and the amount of paid content, which is crap anyway. Though it seems TS4 will be even worse.

Btw, thank you for making thread for an entire series. Now I can stop spamming TS3 thread with TS2 photos.

Last edited by Caesum; 23-07-14 at 15:22.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-14, 15:32   #6
Raider99

Yeah, TS2 was the best, for me at least. I've never played TS1 (now I have it) and it is, interesting, but Sims 2 still rocks. All that goofy funny stuff, graphics seemed much "softer, smoother" unlike TS3, I'd always need to use CASt to improve colors as they looked awful, pre-made ones in TS3... Always had fun with Brokes and Pleasants in TS2, but now stuck with Miss Crumplebottom (Agnes) in TS3, just felt sorry for her... So I played like... 3 times to revive Erik Darling, and also had to install Supernatural again to use lifetime reward to bind his ghost and feed him with Ambrosia which took ages to make as I've never gotten "Oh my... ghost" opportunity which is way too random it seems... But to be honest for TS4, I don't think it'll flop as TS3 did, still, it has TS2 elements, and goofy stuff which is more interesting than "too real, laggy, robotic" sims in TS3. And that artistic direction amazes me, reminds me much of TS2 and all that colorful stuff.

Last edited by Raider99; 23-07-14 at 15:34.
Raider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-14, 15:43   #7
Caesum

Yeah, colors in TS3 were so awful. Generally The Sims 3 was probably the worst looking game in the series IMO, it's just so hard to get something right there, especially sims. Even if a sim looked all right inside it looked awful outside and vice versa. But I could never understand why people think of TS3 as too realistic. It was ugly and that's it, but it had little to do with realism. Especially sims were as far from realism as possible. And their wonky grins and expressions. No.

Last edited by Caesum; 23-07-14 at 15:51.
Old 23-07-14, 15:52   #8
tiann

^the sims in Sims 3 seemed to have chipmunk cheeks by default. Yuck.

Oh how I love making my Sims a bunch of cheating bisexuals. I would make a heterosexual couple where the guy and the girl would have jobs that have no overlapping work hours. I would then make the couple cheat on each other - the guy would do it with another dude, while the girl would go lesbo when her man was at work.

So. Much. Fun

Last edited by tiann; 23-07-14 at 15:56.
tiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-14, 16:11   #9
xcrushterx

I must be one of those rare simmers who hates TS1 and thinks it's the worst in the series
xcrushterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-14, 16:47   #10
Caesum

^ You definitely are. TS1 is flawless(except on windows 8).

^^ LOL yes! Oh how I hate TS3 in that aspect. Infact, I hate it in many aspects. After The Sims 2, which is so intuitive and fun TS3 is like an abomination. Especially sims. They are just sooo anti-photogenic unless you use some hard modding, poseboxes and heavy lighting. My sims look decent only with poseboxes, otherwise... Eugh.