Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 05-12-13, 12:39   #21
innuendo1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
What does FOV mean?

Why do we have to tick the box?
Like FreakRaider mentioned it stands for Field of view.

Imagine that aside of the vertical and horizontal aspect ratio, there is a third axis that's going forward in 3d space (let's call it Z axis)

Smaller FOV's make that Z axis more compressed, wich makes distances seem shorter, objects appear to be closer/bigger. It's like when you look into Boniculars (ones in real life, not in TR 4 or 5).

Larger FOV's make Z axis more strechted, wich makes distances look longer, objects appear smaller/farther-away It's like when you turn around Binoculars and look into the wrong end, know what I mean?

here are some good examples for the difference:
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../Cg_fov_90.jpg
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ov_170-140.jpg
innuendo1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-13, 00:49   #22
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Many thanks for that information , Cheers Chi

Nice little program by the way
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-13, 22:00   #23
Manu270891

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo1231 View Post
After a long session of trial and error, I've managed to determine the absolute perfect settings wich will make both the 3D depth (z-axis) and the camera distance to be EXACTLY the same as it is in the original 4:3 exe of Tomb Raider 2. The picture with my settings is PIXEL perfectly the same as the 4:3 version except it is horizontally bigger of course.

The settings are :
Camera distance = 1036
FOV = 336 (enable FOV fix)

Pics:

Original 4:3

16:9 patch + my settings

If you only adjust the camera distance, the game's 3D depth is completely different, it's like it was compressed along the sagittal axis:

These fixes are really great btw, I've been waiting for so long for this to be possible. Now I can play in Stereoscopic 3D & Hor+ widescreen : )
Big thanks to the author of the patches!

EDIT:
The settings seems to be the same for Tomb Raider 4 too, I just tested.

What is interesting that the lighting changes in both TR2 and TR4, although the change is realted to the 16:9 patch, as the FOV-unmodified 16:9 patched exe produces different lighting than the original 4:3 exe too.
These settings are perfect for 1920x1080, but not for other resolutions of the same aspect ratio. For example, the maximum 16:9 resolution supported by Tomb Raider: The Lost Artifact is 1280x720. Using those values, the camera gets even closer than the default values (applying the aspect ratio patch first, of couse). Could you give us the proper values for 1280x720, please? Does anybody know how to enable 1920x1080 on Tomb Raider: The Lost artifact?

Thanks!
Manu270891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-13, 03:52   #24
Sardoc

The Lost Artefact works in 1080 after a bit of tweaking.

1. You need to install the multipatch.

2. You will need to replace the dll files (Winplay, Winsec, Winstr, Dec, Edec) with the ones that the multipatcher installs with the TR3 patched exe. This is important, because by default, the installer does NOT copy them for TLA, and you're left with the old ones. To do this, you may select that the program unpacks TR3 & TLA patches to your desktop, then replace TLA exe and the dlls.

3. You may want to disable compatibility layer, or if it doesn't work, select XP SP3 one.

Give it a shot.

EDIT: Also, thanks so much for the parameters. I've written them down into a notepad file, so I don't forget. And of course thanks for the wonderful patch.

Last edited by Sardoc; 26-12-13 at 04:00.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-13, 22:51   #25
Manu270891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
The Lost Artefact works in 1080 after a bit of tweaking.

1. You need to install the multipatch.

2. You will need to replace the dll files (Winplay, Winsec, Winstr, Dec, Edec) with the ones that the multipatcher installs with the TR3 patched exe. This is important, because by default, the installer does NOT copy them for TLA, and you're left with the old ones. To do this, you may select that the program unpacks TR3 & TLA patches to your desktop, then replace TLA exe and the dlls.

3. You may want to disable compatibility layer, or if it doesn't work, select XP SP3 one.

Give it a shot.

EDIT: Also, thanks so much for the parameters. I've written them down into a notepad file, so I don't forget. And of course thanks for the wonderful patch.
That worked perfectly! Thank you so much!
Manu270891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-14, 08:03   #26
mizuno_suisei

Hi Ed

Just a small issue (I think?) I've patched my TR2 because I wanted the camera to be CLOSER to Lara so I reduced the default (1200 or whatever it is, can't remember exactly) to 800. The inventory is clearly closer but in-game, Lara doesn't appear to be. Have I missed something?
mizuno_suisei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-17, 19:24   #27
Lumberjack

Hello

I have the same issue that mizuno_suisei. The camera doesn't change, only in the inventory.

However, I have the memory that the camera changed when I changed the value few years ago.

So, I don't understand why now it doesn't work

Edit :

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurlyak View Post

In patch for common purposes you can set distance about 1900 - 2000 - and it will quite normally (if uncheck FOV and applied widescreen patch).
OK. Maybe it's for this

Last edited by Lumberjack; 17-04-17 at 19:28.
Lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-17, 19:40   #28
Lumberjack

Finally, it doesn't work, even when I disable the FOV.

There is something wrong. I have the souvenir that it worked even with the FOV fix.

Thanks for your help !
Old 19-04-17, 11:22   #29
Lumberjack

Can I have some help please ?

Thanks !