Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 11-07-12, 04:17   #1
sephiroth99

Default Two bigfile archive tools (pack and unpack)

Here are two tools, called Gibbed.TombRaider.pack and Gibbed.TombRaider.unpack. These tools are used to unpack and repack the "bigfile" archives used by Crystal Dynamics in their TR games.

The unpack tool is from by Rick (http://blog.gib.me/). He programmed a suite of tools for manipulating Deus Ex: Human Revolution. As TR uses the same game engine, he also made this unpack program for TR.

The pack tool is in reality the pack tool Rick made for DEHR, which I modified to support TR. So most of the code is his, and a little bit from me.

You can find the two programs here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19940372/gibbed/gibbed.zip
Rick's source code is here: http://svn.gib.me/public/deusex3/
If someone wants it, I can provide the source code for the TR pack program.

How to use

unpack
The tool is a command line program. Ideally, you specify 3 parameters. Check the help ("unpack -h") for all the possible options.

1. The project name:
This is the name of the game you want to extract. The possible choices are:
Code:
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (Xenon)
Tomb Raider 7
Tomb Raider 7 (PS3)
Tomb Raider 7 (PSP)
Tomb Raider 8
Tomb Raider 8 (PS2)
Tomb Raider 8 (PS3)
Tomb Raider 8 (Xenon)
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Tomb Raider Anniversary (PS3)
Tomb Raider Anniversary (PSP)
If you extract "Xenon" (xbox360) archives, you must specify the big-endian option too ("-b").
If the game is not in the list, it's not that it isn't supported, but you may have to play with the program options a little.

2. The path to the archive ("bigfile.000"):
Pretty self-explanatory.

3. The path where the files will be extracted:
Again, pretty self-explanatory.

Here is an example for Tomb Raider Underworld PC:

And for LCGoL Xbox360:

pack
To repack the game files, it's quite simple. You specify the path to the extracted files, and the path where to save the archive. Just like so:
(tip: if you pack the main archive, name it the same name it has in the game directory (bigfile.000 usually), as the program will create the multiple bigfile.### files)
sephiroth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 04:36   #2
VictorXD

Cool

Can you give more examples about what can be done using this please??
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 06:38   #3
o0Crofty0o

Might use this for the ps3 hd collection textures =) thanks
o0Crofty0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 07:15   #4
Monkey 13

Uh-oh, this post is starting to attract the XNALara crowd and where they go, trouble soon follows...

Not to make water on your achievement (can't wait to try it) but it does pop up an error message saying the it requires .Net framework 4+ in order to work (XP Pro with 3.5 here).

Will be good to get properly UV-mapped Underwear rooms though...
Monkey 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 23:01   #5
sephiroth99

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Cool

Can you give more examples about what can be done using this please??
Right now, not much... I released this because the other tool I just released (translatr) is using this tool.

I find it's an easy to use tool to repack the game files after doing modifications (there was already a tool that repacked the game files but it was hard to use I find). But yeah right now there is not much to modify in the game, so its use is limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey 13 View Post
Uh-oh, this post is starting to attract the XNALara crowd and where they go, trouble soon follows...

Not to make water on your achievement (can't wait to try it) but it does pop up an error message saying the it requires .Net framework 4+ in order to work (XP Pro with 3.5 here).

Will be good to get properly UV-mapped Underwear rooms though...
I'll look into that, I'll try to compile it for .net 3.0 for example.

Unfortunately this tool does not extract game data (like models or textures), it only unpacks the "bigfiles"

Last edited by sephiroth99; 11-07-12 at 23:02.
sephiroth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-13, 15:59   #6
chips493

Help ! When I run Gibbed.TombRaider9.Unpack.exe, the window immediately disappears. How can I run this, there are no explanations anywhere?
chips493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 23:14   #7
Reginaldo_Proc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth99 View Post
Here are two tools, called Gibbed.TombRaider.pack and Gibbed.TombRaider.unpack. These tools are used to unpack and repack the "bigfile" archives used by Crystal Dynamics in their TR games.

The unpack tool is from by Rick (http://blog.gib.me/). He programmed a suite of tools for manipulating Deus Ex: Human Revolution. As TR uses the same game engine, he also made this unpack program for TR.

The pack tool is in reality the pack tool Rick made for DEHR, which I modified to support TR. So most of the code is his, and a little bit from me.

You can find the two programs here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19940372/gibbed/gibbed.zip
Rick's source code is here: http://svn.gib.me/public/deusex3/
If someone wants it, I can provide the source code for the TR pack program.

How to use

unpack
The tool is a command line program. Ideally, you specify 3 parameters. Check the help ("unpack -h") for all the possible options.

1. The project name:
This is the name of the game you want to extract. The possible choices are:
Code:
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (Xenon)
Tomb Raider 7
Tomb Raider 7 (PS3)
Tomb Raider 7 (PSP)
Tomb Raider 8
Tomb Raider 8 (PS2)
Tomb Raider 8 (PS3)
Tomb Raider 8 (Xenon)
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Tomb Raider Anniversary (PS3)
Tomb Raider Anniversary (PSP)
If you extract "Xenon" (xbox360) archives, you must specify the big-endian option too ("-b").
If the game is not in the list, it's not that it isn't supported, but you may have to play with the program options a little.

2. The path to the archive ("bigfile.000"):
Pretty self-explanatory.

3. The path where the files will be extracted:
Again, pretty self-explanatory.

Here is an example for Tomb Raider Underworld PC:

And for LCGoL Xbox360:

pack
To repack the game files, it's quite simple. You specify the path to the extracted files, and the path where to save the archive. Just like so:
(tip: if you pack the main archive, name it the same name it has in the game directory (bigfile.000 usually), as the program will create the multiple bigfile.### files)
PSP version doesn't work! PSP it's a bigfile.dat and the program crash, what I might do?!
Reginaldo_Proc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 17:49   #8
BloodDagger

Default crashing problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips493 View Post
Help ! When I run Gibbed.TombRaider9.Unpack.exe, the window immediately disappears. How can I run this, there are no explanations anywhere?
Im also having the same problem, Yes i followed the instructions, but the problem is that it automatically closes after it boots, not even giving me a chance to type anything.

any suggestions?
BloodDagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-15, 03:28   #9
PetkaBY

Tomb Raider 7 & Tomb Raider Anniversary Support for (Xenon-360 ) It is expected in the future ?
PetkaBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-15, 11:22   #10
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetkaBY View Post
Tomb Raider 7 & Tomb Raider Anniversary Support for (Xenon-360 ) It is expected in the future ?
The Xbox 360 version is supported, just add -b (endian big) arg plus " (Xenon)" to the project name with a space before it. Example p="Tomb Raider 7 (Xenon)"

Regards.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote