Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 17-12-16, 15:42   #1
JimbobJeffers

Default Tomb Raider: Anniversary - HD Texture Overhaul

About

This is a work-in-progress project to bring Tomb Raider: Anniversary's textures to a much higher quality. In Croft Manor for example, most textures are around 128x128 pixels square, whereas my new textures sit around 512x512 to 2048x2048. Many, many hours have been spent on this mod so far and I anticipate working many hours more!

One of the most important aims of this project is to keep the new textures looking accurate to the original ones. I'm not a fan of HD mods that drastically alter the appearance of the game, and if you check the screenshots below I hope you'll agree that the overall aesthetic has been preserved.

Rather than use Texmod, the TRA HD Overhaul is installed directly into your game's installation directory. This means that you don't have to wait around for a while until all the textures load every time you launch the game! It is also very easy to uninstall in seconds.

Download

The download includes installation instructions, a changelog and permissions file, and a copy of the Gibbed tool required to install it*.

TRA HD Overhaul version v1.00

*The author hasn't been active for over two years and the link in that topic is dead, so I hope it's okay for me to redistribute it here.

Progress

Here's a list of the contents of this mod and textures that are currently work-in-progress.
  • Lara's default outfit - 100% complete, added in v0.01
  • In-game HUD - 100% complete, added in v0.01
  • Croft Manor - 100% complete, added in v0.02 and completed in v1.00

A full texture map spreadsheet can be downloaded here.

Previews

Check out screenshots of version 0.01 below.

And here are screenshots of version 1.00. Click on them for the full 1080p resolution.

Issues

I'm not currently aware of any issues with this mod, but please do report any problems you find. I'm mainly interested in things like textures that should be seamless not tiling perfectly, but if you have constructive criticism to offer I'd like to hear it too.

Enjoy!

Last edited by JimbobJeffers; 08-02-19 at 17:36. Reason: Updated to v1.00
JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-16, 18:02   #2
NoahCrofRaider

This got me excited at first because I thought you ported the PS3 trilogy Lara. But even though that wasn't the case, I noticed just how amazing this mod is. Lara looks superb and Croft Manor looks beautifully HD-ified. I definitely want to try this mod later tonight.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-16, 22:38   #3
R41D3R

Insta-download. Much apprechiated, JimbobJeffers!

On my system (Phenom II X4 955, 8 GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X 2GB, 2560x1440 screen) it takes six minutes from hitting "Run" in TexMod until reaching the main menu using the ultra version. Standard version takes one and a half minute.

Last edited by R41D3R; 18-12-16 at 00:50.
R41D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-16, 09:07   #4
LaraThaRaider

Loads the ultra in 72 seconds on my GTX 1080
Loads the standard in 34,3 seconds on my GTX 1080, really love the mod
LaraThaRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-16, 18:50   #5
noonbob

Amazaing !! Thank you

Excited to test this
noonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-16, 04:34   #6
Patie
Inactive

This is awesome dude!👍Will you be doing the rest of the levels too?
Patie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-16, 10:07   #7
JimbobJeffers

Thanks for the kind words!

I didn't mention it above but Winston has 4K textures, I gave his skin and clothes more detail, because he deserves some attention after all those years of being locked in the fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patie View Post
This is awesome dude!👍Will you be doing the rest of the levels too?
I certainly hope to! After a short hiatus during the Christmas holidays, I'll probably start with bringing Lara's weapons and outfits to HD, then when they're done I'll move onto the first level.
Old 24-12-16, 12:41   #8
JimbobJeffers

Apologies for the double post, it's been a few days and I have something new I wanted to share. I've begun work on HUD elements to make them sharper by rendering the relevant objects in Blender, which also makes the icons more representative of the in-game model. The lighting, posing and camera could maybe be tweaked a little better but it should do fine for now (click for full 1080p screenshots):

Original

New - Large medipack, small medipack and pistols

Yeah so I said I wouldn't work on this any more until the new year, but whatever, it's fun. Also these new textures are double the resolution shown here so will look great in 4K too, assuming the HUD is scaled accordingly.

I hope you all have a merry Christmas!

Last edited by JimbobJeffers; 24-12-16 at 12:43.
Old 25-12-16, 17:39   #9
JohnCroft25
Inactive

Excellent work so far!!! Well, IMO you'll have a HUGE work to do... textures' quality in TRA is truly bad!!!
Could I make a suggestion? In order for the game to accumulate a truly HD effect, it would be really nice to change the water textures into more ''realistic'' ones (Like the ones in Next-Gen TRL, or the XBOX360-PS3 ports of TRA). Of course, if it's difficult or impossible, it's ok
Merry Christmas... and keep up the good work

Last edited by JohnCroft25; 25-12-16 at 17:41.
JohnCroft25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-16, 11:47   #10
Alex Fly
Inactive

Looking better and better !
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote