Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 02-01-17, 19:27   #11
JimbobJeffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCroft25 View Post
Excellent work so far!!! Well, IMO you'll have a HUGE work to do... textures' quality in TRA is truly bad!!!
Could I make a suggestion? In order for the game to accumulate a truly HD effect, it would be really nice to change the water textures into more ''realistic'' ones (Like the ones in Next-Gen TRL, or the XBOX360-PS3 ports of TRA). Of course, if it's difficult or impossible, it's ok
Merry Christmas... and keep up the good work
Thanks! About the water, it doesn't look like TRL's water has any surface textures, unless my display settings are configured incorrectly. TRA has a few different textures for its water which gives ripples on the surface and reflections on the walls, are you wanting these made blank? I'd love to look through the PS3 trilogy edition's textures as I've got the game, but unfortunately I can't get the files to extract.

Small update, I've added the finished HUD mod. This includes textures for all the guns (including the Golden Shotgun and Silver SMGs, which are coloured like the in-game ones now), Lara's journal and the blue grapple icons. Download in the original post!

JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 21:09   #12
JohnCroft25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimbobJeffers View Post
Thanks! About the water, it doesn't look like TRL's water has any surface textures, unless my display settings are configured incorrectly. TRA has a few different textures for its water which gives ripples on the surface and reflections on the walls, are you wanting these made blank? I'd love to look through the PS3 trilogy edition's textures as I've got the game, but unfortunately I can't get the files to extract.

Small update, I've added the finished HUD mod. This includes textures for all the guns (including the Golden Shotgun and Silver SMGs, which are coloured like the in-game ones now), Lara's journal and the blue grapple icons. Download in the original post!

Very nice update, as usual Well, I don't like that the water in the PC port of TRA is so ''colourful''... I like the fact that in PS3 and XBOX360 port it has that ''greyish'', more realistic look.
JohnCroft25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 21:24   #13
JimbobJeffers

Aaah, I see what you mean. As far as I can tell, the TRA water is something hardcoded or otherwise not accessible through Texmod, as the textures are greyscale. So I don't think there's anything I can do to change it's colour, sorry!
Old 03-01-17, 01:22   #14
IncultaWolf

I don't know if it's just the new HD model for Lara in the PS3 trilogy, but the overall game looks way better than any other port for Anniversary, except for the bugs, aka white glove texture when dirt effects are applied. I noticed Larson and Pierre had an updated model too, I couldn't notice if anyone else did. Also the intro cutscene where Natla is introduced, the screen has a different effect on it than the other platform versions. Also during the same scene, if you look at the windows in the background, you can actually see the city from them. Before there was just a generic texture covering them it looks like.
IncultaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-17, 03:19   #15
JohnCroft25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimbobJeffers View Post
Aaah, I see what you mean. As far as I can tell, the TRA water is something hardcoded or otherwise not accessible through Texmod, as the textures are greyscale. So I don't think there's anything I can do to change it's colour, sorry!
It's OK... I appreciate the fact that you took my suggestions into consideration Happy New Year and keep up the great work
JohnCroft25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-17, 09:15   #16
JimbobJeffers

It's been a while but I finally had the time to get back to this, and I have some progress to report!

Firstly a huuuge thanks to the incredible Gh0stBlade, who made the Legend/Anniversary Mod Tools, for releasing those tools and putting up with all my questions about getting things to work. :P You're awesome!

Thanks to Gh0stBlade's handiwork, I'm now able to extract HD textures from the PS3 Trilogy edition of TRA. As an example, Lara's textures for the brown elements in her classic suit are 512px on PC and 1024px on PS3. That may not seem like a big jump but actually you're getting four times the amount of detail, so even with the aggressive compression the textures got for console release it's a huge benefit. Pair that with my upscaling and (note: not pictured below) blended-in materials, the 4K suit textures should look much better:

I'll be going through all the textures I can and porting them to PC if applicable. They should serve as better sources for my modified textures, and also good temporary placeholders for all the levels until I get around to making my own. I think this also means that textures can be installed permanently, rather than waiting 5 minutes for Texmod to load, again courtesy of Gh0stBlade!
Old 06-04-17, 09:38   #17
Alex Fly
Inactive

Sounds and looks great, good continuation with your texture overhaul.

I noticed it when I played it (that the PS3 version is more detailled) and IMO it's the best looking version of the game by far. They really did an astounding job on it!
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-17, 20:43   #18
NoahCrofRaider

This looks really cool! I'm glad you're able to get the PS3 version's more detailed textures; that's my favorite version of the game graphically.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-17, 21:05   #19
JimbobJeffers

Cheers both of you! I'm working bit-by-bit on this daily, but it's taking time to go through all of Croft Manor's files. I'm doing that level first to clean up all the textures that are already modded (making them more natural and accurate to vanilla) and fill in some missing ones too. About 100 textures down so far, plus Lara's classic outfit which is also finished. The next update will hooopefully be installable permanently rather than temporarily (and painfully!) through Texmod each time.

Sadly I've only found 1 texture for Croft Manor that's actually a higher resolution that before, but I've only looked in the first 3 of 17 files so there may be more. Still, one is better than none! And with any luck, the main levels will have more HD textures to port across.
Old 15-04-17, 23:58   #20
JOHN30011887

This will be great to use without texmod, i used to use texmod for a few games but the waiting always got to me so i gave up on it

Keep up the great work
JOHN30011887 is offline   Reply With Quote