Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

Old 29-05-16, 18:33   #1
Nigel Cassidy

Default Clothing, haircut and accessory selection menu.

I have been talking for some time about the idea of creating a selection menu in a Tomb Raider or preferably a Lara Croft game that allows the player to select the clothing, haircut and accessories that they want Lara to wear. I think it only makes sense to have such a feature in a game series were the players have such different ( and 'passionate' ) ideas about what Lara Croft should wear and be like.

And so when this board was introduced to this Dress Up Lara Croft Flash game on Deviantart:

http://ywi.deviantart.com/art/Dress-...-3-1-107539031

... people immediately started to make and show off their creations, some crazier than the others Just look at the designs on these pages:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...07878&page=591
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...07878&page=592
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...07878&page=593

It's obvious that we're having fun with this That is why I propose that Crystal D would make such a feature for a future Lara Croft game. With a large amount of selectable pieces, which can also be used as collectable items.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-16, 11:37   #2
_Doppie_

Tomb Raider isn't The Sims.
_Doppie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-16, 12:00   #3
CheshireBitch

Well we already have that with the bonus/DLC outfit !
Changing her haircut is really useless imo, not much difference between ponytail and braid if it's an option to choose so no...

More bonus outfit will be welcome tho since it's a "fun game" and not a "serious" one like the reboot. So having 10/15 outfits from previous game could be cool !
CheshireBitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-16, 12:05   #4
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
Well we already have that with the bonus/DLC outfit !
Changing her haircut is really useless imo, not much difference between ponytail and braid if it's an option to choose so no...
Really? It seems like it makes a difference to a lot of people.

And besides, though I like the ponytail better than the braid I'm starting to get a bit tired of it after ten years... I'd like the option to diversify it a bit.
Old 31-05-16, 14:24   #5
CheshireBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Really? It seems like it makes a difference to a lot of people.

And besides, though I like the ponytail better than the braid I'm starting to get a bit tired of it after ten years... I'd like the option to diversify it a bit.
Yes it makes a difference as a character choice for Lara Croft. It makes a difference if it's a signature haircut, if it's what she wears on the cover and promo images.
If we let people choose what they want, then it's not part of her as a character anymore but just a choice the player made. So it doesn't count and it's useless. And also it will feel like CD can't make a choice or can't stand for a their choice. It's a cheap and useless way to solde the problem braid/ponytail.

If we go that way than why can't we choose 15 different haircut: long, short, curly, ect... color of her hair, color of her skin, ect...

It's not that type of game.
CheshireBitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-16, 14:28   #6
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Doppie_ View Post
Tomb Raider isn't The Sims.
What he wants is a Lara Croft: Xtreme Beach Volleyball game. I am pretty sure his next thread will be a request thread for such a game.
I am on his ignore list.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-16, 15:10   #7
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Yes it makes a difference as a character choice for Lara Croft. It makes a difference if it's a signature haircut, if it's what she wears on the cover and promo images.
If we let people choose what they want, then it's not part of her as a character anymore but just a choice the player made. So it doesn't count and it's useless. And also it will feel like CD can't make a choice or can't stand for a their choice. It's a cheap and useless way to solde the problem braid/ponytail.
Why would it be so important that Crystal D would make the choice? I mean really, explain me that.

Honestly, I can't see the problem with this at all. If you oppose this then why don't you oppose having the choice of different outfits? This is simply an extension to that. I don't hear anyone complaining that if we can choose what she wears it's not a part of her character anymore...

Quote:
It's not that type of game.
TR is not a survival game about crafting stuff out of junk and firing bows and arrows either. But they did it anyway...
Old 31-05-16, 16:45   #8
Hazelphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
TR is not a survival game about crafting stuff out of junk and firing bows and arrows either. But they did it anyway...
Exactly what I was thinking.

Tomb Raider and Lara Croft already turned into something else compared to the previous iterations (Classics - LAU). Why would it be a problem if they changed one more thing among all the things they've already changed?

Now that a wider audience has been brought to the franchise and every single "faction" (pardon me, for lack of a better word) has their own preference when it comes to define what is iconic for this character, I don't see why having the chance to choose between different types of hairstyles and outfits would do any harm.

Core taught us the braid, double holsters and dual guns are Lara's iconic trademarks. Crystal (with LAU) taught us the ponytail, double holsters and dual guns were Lara's trademark. Crystal (with the reboot) taught us the ponytail, a bow, an axe and no dual guns are Lara's current trademark. Era after era new fans decided joined the fandom, leading to a much wider range of opinions and preferences in this regard. Every one likes a precise iteration (some more than one, but that's not the point here) and given how the character's changed through the various games, this might possibly be the only way to reach an agreement at this point.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-16, 16:51   #9
Nigel Cassidy

^ Precisely my point. And besides, I don't understand why anyone would be against this kind of optionality; if you don't like it you just don't use it and stick to the default clothes and hair. I hate to quote George Bush in a positive way, but why would they hate freedom?
Old 31-05-16, 17:03   #10
Hazelphoenix

It doesn't make any sense to me either, especially considering that it would be a solution implemented to please as many fans as possible. It wouldn't be a replacement, just an added feature.

To me, it is way more questionable to take an already established character and do whatetever they want with it without giving at least a valid alternative suitable for the people they left behind. For example, this editor you proposed or some kind of DLC. But whatever, I'm done trying to understand certain types of reasoning

And I'd go so far as to say that is should be taken into consideration not only for the LC series, but for the TR games too.

Last edited by Hazelphoenix; 31-05-16 at 17:07. Reason: ooops, typo
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote