Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 14-04-17, 20:03   #1
JohnCroft25
Inactive

Default Opera House/Offshore Rig-Talk about logic/realism

Lately, I've been watching walkthroughs of the "classic" Tomb Raider games. So, I've completed the walkthrough of TR1, and now I am at the walkthrough of TR2 (Both done by a member here, Roli )
Anyway, I just watched the last cutscene of Opera House and the first part of Offshore Rig. So...what's the point of keeping an intruder hostage instead of just killing her? Didn't they worry that she could escape and ruin their plans? Besides, that intruder had already killed myriads of Bartoli's men in the previous levels. So, in my opinion, keeping such enemy alive wouldn't be a wise decision after all
Ok, let's just say you decide, for whatever reason, to keep her hostage...you put her in a cell where, the switch for opening the gates is just in the same room? Well, talk about logic and realism in these levels!!!
What do you guys think?
JohnCroft25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-17, 20:23   #2
Joey79100

At that time, realism and logic wasn't a much of a big deal yet. It wouldn't have been interesting if Lara was just killed. Well at least they tried harder at making something believable in the next game.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-17, 20:48   #3
JohnCroft25
Inactive

Fair enough, but what about the mechanism for unlocking her cell... being inside the cell? It's like saying "Hey why don't you just escape and kill the rest of us"?
They could have made it differently actually...like Lara realising someone is beside her, knocking him off guard and questioning him about Bartoli's plans.
Old 14-04-17, 21:50   #4
Gian Carlo

Maybe because they didn't know there was a switch there?
Gian Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-17, 21:57   #5
JohnCroft25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian Carlo View Post
Maybe because they didn't know there was a switch there?
That's a possible explanation, I guess
Old 14-04-17, 22:19   #6
Kapu

Well, Lara had to get out of that cell somehow, so Core made a switch for her.

Games weren't scrutinized during that era like they are these days, y'know? I'd say Core was more interested in creating an entertaining scenario over a logical one. In their defense, they did up their "breaking out of a makeshift prison" game in Chronicles when Lara is locked up during the submarine section.
Kapu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-17, 22:30   #7
TR-Freak
Unverified

Maybe they wanted to have fun with her
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-17, 22:42   #8
redfox45

I always hoped that if there were an official remake they would include a scene where Bartoli talks to Lara inside the cell when she wakes up.

With Bartolis achilles heel being his obsession with fate and the grand design he would (having no fear for his own mortality or anything stopping him from fulfilling his destiny) develop a morbid curiosity with who Lara is, what she wants and why.
He'd wonder why this unknown third party is causing such a rift in his plans and whether it was an unforeseen part of the grand plan.

Then around Temple of Xian would make a grand speech about his revelation that she was sent to achieve what his men couldn't, to lay the path by finding the Seraph and defeating the guardian of the Talion.
But now her part is almost over and then she would wind up being thrown down into the temple to fulfill the trial of the dragon to free the dagger from the mouth on the podium.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-17, 23:12   #9
JohnCroft25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
Well, Lara had to get out of that cell somehow, so Core made a switch for her.
Simple as that

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
Maybe they wanted to have fun with her
That might explain the decision to keep her alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
I always hoped that if there were an official remake they would include a scene where Bartoli talks to Lara inside the cell when she wakes up.

With Bartolis achilles heel being his obsession with fate and the grand design he would (having no fear for his own mortality or anything stopping him from fulfilling his destiny) develop a morbid curiosity with who Lara is, what she wants and why.
He'd wonder why this unknown third party is causing such a rift in his plans and whether it was an unforeseen part of the grand plan.

Then around Temple of Xian would make a grand speech about his revelation that she was sent to achieve what his men couldn't, to lay the path by finding the Seraph and defeating the guardian of the Talion.
But now her part is almost over and then she would wind up being thrown down into the temple to fulfill the trial of the dragon to free the dagger from the mouth on the podium.
What a great idea!!! Now, this would be amazing
Old 15-04-17, 02:50   #10
Kirishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post

I was gonna say something silly like they probably kept her as a pretty human sacrifice later since they are evil cultists, but what you said was much better.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote