Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 19-11-17, 17:28   #1
Zreen001

Default Finding myself buying/playing less and less modern games

Aside from not having enough time to play every game that comes out, I simply have lost interest in new videogames (there are rare exceptions, though) and I can get enjoyment out of playing older games again rather than buying new ones.

The new Battlefront is an example. It looks like a great game regardless of its lootbox issues, but playing the older Battlefronts gives me--personally--much more satisfaction.

The tapering off point for me seemed to start around 2011 when the number of new games I was interested in buying/playing dropped off significantly. Replaying old games: I'm completely fine with and get joy from.

Is that just something that happens as people get older? Or is there a definite decrease in quality games compared to a decade or even two or three decades ago? Combination of the two?

Last edited by Zreen001; 19-11-17 at 17:28. Reason: FEWER!! not "less and less"
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 17:44   #2
shockwave_pulsar00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
Aside from not having enough time to play every game that comes out, I simply have lost interest in new videogames (there are rare exceptions, though) and I can get enjoyment out of playing older games again rather than buying new ones.

The new Battlefront is an example. It looks like a great game regardless of its lootbox issues, but playing the older Battlefronts gives me--personally--much more satisfaction.

The tapering off point for me seemed to start around 2011 when the number of new games I was interested in buying/playing dropped off significantly. Replaying old games: I'm completely fine with and get joy from.

Is that just something that happens as people get older? Or is there a definite decrease in quality games compared to a decade or even two or three decades ago? Combination of the two?
Its probably just a combination of time, money, pickiness. That's how it is for me. I have other things I like doing other than videogames and so I end up having to choose what I'd like to spend time playing. Money is another factor, I either have to love the series or find myself constantly thinking about playing a new game.
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 18:24   #3
Yeauxleaux

I'm playing less generally these days too. I remember a time when I was a teenager, if I wasn't at school, sleeping or out with friends I'd be playing games. Now though I have other commitments, I'm trying to get my life together, and I just don't have time or money.

I find that I still do play fairly often, but rarely for a long sitting. It means it takes me forever to finish a game.

Also like you, most new games don't interest me. Most "new" games I've tended to buy on PS4 are either remasters of old ones I loved, or else at least sequels to longer-standing franchises I grew up playing. It's rare an outright new game gets me excited (Horizon Zero Dawn being a rare exception).
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 18:36   #4
SrDanielPonces

I hope PS3's servers will last for a loong long time... or else byebye for old games lmfao *cries*
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 18:50   #5
Mickybyrne20

Since I've gotten older, games themselves don't interest me as a stand alone. I would much prefer to play games with friends and have fun. I remember the good days when I was mid-teens playing GTA5 online, and Resident Evil 5 with friends. So ****ing fun terrorizing other online players. Now everyone has less free time, responsibilities, and totally different schedules. Interests do change. To be honest, I never really made the leap to current gen consoles. I couldn't be arsed. I hardly ever play my PS4. Last game I played was The Lost Legacy. Trying find the will power to play AC: Syndicate since I've had it like a year, and never touched it. My PS4 has no memory, so I can't install it.

Last edited by Mickybyrne20; 19-11-17 at 18:52.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 20:18   #6
redfox45

I've found myself putting in searches like "top 10 games nobody played" and watching reviews from 'top 20 PS1/PS2 games of all time' lists.
Not only it it incredibly cheaper to play old gems you missed along the way it's also a much more reliable assurance of quality. Unlike now where you don't even have any assurance as to whether the game is even going to work properly because of the half-assed patch system.

As long as you aren't a stickler for graphics it's a win-win situation.

Last edited by redfox45; 19-11-17 at 20:20.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 21:31   #7
domino92

I can understand this perspective. Not only are new games expensive but considering modern game industry business practices they're only getting more costly.

But to be fair I don't think it's the games themselves that are the problem. I genuinely think between 2016-2017 games have become much, much better than they were in the previous generation.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 21:46   #8
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
As long as you aren't a stickler for graphics it's a win-win situation.
I think that's the one of the biggest issue in gaming these days.

A "good" game today isn't one that's actually, well, fun to play. It's one that looks the prettiest and has a movie-like storyline.

I don't know how many times I've had to say, if I wanted that I'd go to the cinema. It's perfectly fine, to me, for a game to feel like a game, something which has been designed to be played and not watched. I'm ok with something that doesn't have 100% lifelike graphics and "realism", just give me something that looks ok but I won't get bored of in a few hours.

Many of the best games I've played had not such polished graphics or super deep storylines, it's the fun you have playing it that you remember. Not everything has to be The Last of Us (which is a fantastic game I loved as well, but still).

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 19-11-17 at 21:52.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-17, 09:29   #9
sikasika18
Inactive

I feel the same and I don't play modern games as much as I used to. There was one game this year though that made me feel like a child again and that was Zelda botw.
This game just threw me Into a world and expected me to find my way at a pace that suited me and no cutscenes interupting or bull**** like that, it made me play nonstop to the very end with a 100% completion and no game has made me want to 100% in years.
sikasika18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-17, 10:00   #10
Mani_Man

Cant really share this to be honest.
Currently i have 7 games here that i want to play and only god knows what i will get the next time playstation has a discount on games.

My Gaming shelf for ps4 games slowly starts to catch up with my ps3 shelf, so its safe to say that i enjoy the ps4 era so far.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote