www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 04-07-13, 16:00   #911
rewak
Professor

Google Image searching one of those shots gave out another source that's a little cleaner with a few extras

rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-13, 16:35   #912
Aurimas

Thanks. Not much of noticeable difference in Louvre Storm Drains. You can recognize that build from white shadows. I checked the room where Last Obscura Painting was hidden and it is quite similar design to Eckhardt's Lab. It is interesting that some of the flags have eagle there. Perhaps double-headed eagle, though I cannot see clearly. I wonder if it means that it has something to do with Germany. Thought double-headed eagle flag was a flag of Holy Roman Empire and Czech Republic was also a part of it, it appeared on early screenshots of Castle Kriegler. You can also see it on one of the buildings in The Monstrum Crime Scene. Nevertheless, that room have a lion statues and lion statues were in early screenshots of Castle Kriegler as well.

Last edited by Aurimas; 04-07-13 at 16:38.
Aurimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-13, 16:49   #913
aussie500

I added two more early screenshots and more comparison screenshots from the final version to the original post. I would say they were cutting down on the resources the game was needing, so simplified some of the graphics and models.
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...&postcount=908

And thanks for finding some better screenshots rewak.

Last edited by aussie500; 04-07-13 at 16:54.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 23:28   #914
Aurimas

So now after we know some facts about the original story I have no doubt that the room from Eckhardt's Lab that can be seen in the concept art is moved from Castle Kriegler and last part of that level is from Cappadocia.

I still wonder do the rooms where we found Last Obscura Painting and where you had to arrange the statues were always supposed to be in The Vaulth Of Trophies or they were moved from somewhere else, or developed for The Vaulth Of Trophies level latter?

I also wonder does this artwork is not fan made? Some of the buildings in The Monstrum Crimescene are different.
Old 10-07-13, 01:55   #915
aussie500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
So now after we know some facts about the original story I have no doubt that the room from Eckhardt's Lab that can be seen in the concept art is moved from Castle Kriegler and last part of that level is from Cappadocia.

I still wonder do the rooms where we found Last Obscura Painting and where you had to arrange the statues were always supposed to be in The Vaulth Of Trophies or they were moved from somewhere else, or developed for The Vaulth Of Trophies level latter?

I also wonder does this artwork is not fan made? Some of the buildings in The Monstrum Crimescene are different.
Things change all the time, even with a game fully polished, and Germany and Cappadocia were dropped very early. Those areas might have been intended for Germany and Cappadocia in the concept stage, but since they were dropped from the game pretty early for most fans it makes no difference. Those wanting to piece together the original concept for the game, can have fun guessing what was intended to go where.

As to the exclusive renders, info says it was made by Adrian Smith (not Jeremy's brother but the other Adrian Smith), they were probably done for the original game. A render like a concept, is built before the final look, so not always going to look the same. Look at the difference between concept, render, early and final screenshots for Eckhardt's lab, and how it changed. Thanks for the link Aurimas. Nice of Adrian to release them for the fan project.

Last edited by aussie500; 10-07-13 at 01:58.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-13, 05:17   #916
.snake.
Historian

Originally, the Vault of Trophies was meant to be Eckhardt's own trophy room, showing grizzly weird prizes he collected over the ages from victims he killed. The corpse of Kurtis' father was even supposed to be in here. Boaz and Karel (for whatever strange reason) decided to hide the Painting here after they got it from Vasiley because Eckhardt apparently didn't frequent this old Vault of his anymore. But since this entire concept was cut, and changed very early on, the whole look of the Vault of Trophies became more Lux Veritatis themed - including the underwater room with the knights.

While I am pretty certain that the medieval part of Eckhardt's lab was meant to be in Germany, and the Sleeper Chamber was meant to be in Turkey, I think all of this was cut and condensed into one location and level (in Prague) much earlier during Pre-Production time, so I doubt this means that parts of Germany or Turkey were even built, or that these rooms were 'lifted' from other half-finished levels in these locations. Probably, they just followed their old concept designs for these locations, and so they ended up looking and feeling a bit strangely linked. Or, perhaps the Eckhardt's lab we see in Prague, was really also the original Eckhardt Vault of Trophies we were going to get.

Last edited by .snake.; 10-07-13 at 05:24.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-13, 11:06   #917
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, UB, GM, LA, and Times level

I like those photos of the original Eckhardt's lab and Louvre storm drains level. It's a shame the other locations were cut.
Old 11-07-13, 10:03   #918
aussie500

Finally tracked down my original scan from the art book, this one is bigger, although a different tone.

Old 11-07-13, 10:17   #919
Aurimas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
Finally tracked down my original scan from the art book, this one is bigger, although a different tone.

This one is from artbook, right? I see that there is no yellow colour. Though I prefer the previous one but you can see some details better in this one. This concept art looks like something from Harry Potter.

By the way, where did you found it? Was it in some thread in these forums?
Old 11-07-13, 10:40   #920
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, UB, GM, LA, and Times level

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post

The image won't show for me.