Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 21-05-18, 14:49   #31
Portugalraider

I really enjoy the Wii version, even if it's ugly and buggy as hell. But that's what happens when you release a game on a beta (or even alfa) state.

But I have to say that Croft Manor is much better on Wii, and I really much prefer the Xibalba part on the Wii version: the fire-ice duality of the trap rooms was really good, they were actually really well designed, and were much better than those of the main version.

But again, pity they had no time to actually developed those versions well. Especially the PS2 version, as it is missing many many gameplay moments. Perhaps if they just did the Wii version perhaps we could have had a game that at least looked as good as Legend and Anniversary did.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-18, 20:39   #32
Pyro99

The first version I played was actually the PS2 one, but I was only 10 or so and gave up at the Kraken part, when I played it properly a few years later it was on PS3 and I didn't remember the difference until I read it online. After plenty of playthroughs of Underworld I played my old PS2 version just out of curiosity, think I got as far as Jan Mayen and stopped there. It was actually enjoyable and felt like an old-school PS2 game, the graphics were just simply too bad and lazily done, and it was obvious it was a half-hearted port. It did include some enjoyable details, like the Croft Manor level being less Cathedral-y and more abandoned mine-y, almost felt like Beneath the Ashes, and the Jan Mayen opening actually lets you drive outside of the ruins of Valhalla for a bit. The most hilarious lazily made part had to be the ending of Mexico though, pretty sure you spend about 10 minutes jumping ramps on the ugliest endless hallway of all time. Interestingly enough, very few cutscenes were actually imported from the PS3 version in low quality so Lara suddenly look good again. I'd like to try the Wii version just for the heck of it if it ever landed in my hands
Pyro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-18, 23:50   #33
Guuims
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenCroft View Post
I wonder if it's possible to mod the Wii version to replace the Wii/PS2 textures with the Next-Gen textures. Even though it wouldn't be HD or anything else, the game would look much better (yet there's no shadow). It looks all bland and bright.
If i'm not mistaken Dolphin Emulator lets you do that to any Wii game.
Guuims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-18, 17:00   #34
Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
I hate hate HATED the PS2 version. It was the reason I ended up buying a PS3. I was shocked with how empty the PS2 version was.
Same here, I never understood how it was just so damn awful, especially when it was released AFTER Legend and Anniversary
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-18, 17:24   #35
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
Same here, I never understood how it was just so damn awful, especially when it was released AFTER Legend and Anniversary
I'm guessing they assumed that most of the fanbase, as well as casual gamers, had moved onto the next gen consoles by that point. With that, they just didn't put as much time, energy or resources into the PS2 version as they did with Legend and Anniversary. It was probably just a small cash grab, throwing it at the people still playing on PS2 on a low budget for some quick money.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-18, 07:06   #36
Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I'm guessing they assumed that most of the fanbase, as well as casual gamers, had moved onto the next gen consoles by that point. With that, they just didn't put as much time, energy or resources into the PS2 version as they did with Legend and Anniversary. It was probably just a small cash grab, throwing it at the people still playing on PS2 on a low budget for some quick money.
I can’t imagine if selling very well tbh, it was such a bad quality game. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a positive review for it
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 00:54   #37
WWETombRaider

Never played the PS2 version but I remember the Wii version had a game breaking bug for me in the South Mexico levels.
WWETombRaider is offline   Reply With Quote