Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 22-05-17, 13:13   #1
HarleyCroft

Talking Judith Gibbins!

There have been multiple threads on this topic in the past but as a new poster I would like to start a fresh one

Judith, to me personally, will always be the ultimate voice of Lara Croft!

Her natural vocal register is the perfect mix of strength and confidence while remaining cautious and sincere.

My first impression of the series as a whole was alternating playing between TR3 and the Last Revelation so while nostalgia may be playing a role in my preferences, Judith will always be the voice I think of when picturing Lara!

Shelley had an adorable tomboy-ish quality while always remaining classy, Jonell had a dangerous sweetness to her tone, Keeley was great at expressing emotional quips and Camilla is the right mix of wonder and determination. But overall, I could listen to Judith speaking Lara's lines for hours at a time!

The way she talks to other people like the first Fiamma Nera goon at the Great Wall, Tony the Loon, and Willard in such a way was intimidating and fascinating, like she is always in control of the situation even when she was probably just as nervous inside as the player themself.

Lara will never be the exact same person she was in the first trilogy since she was rebooted and made more modern in recent years, but her original character shaped me as a person growing up and part of that had been because Judith's lovely voice brought her to life as a real character.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-17, 14:53   #2
lizardspock110

Yes!! I also absolutely LOVE her voice

My favourite line of hers is the "pardon me if that was just your way of trying the doors for me..." and "Aha! Via caravelli venice!"
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-17, 23:23   #3
HarleyCroft

Yesss, "Aha! Gianni Bartoli, via caravelli Venice" sounded like a song, the way it rolled so smoothly and melodically What a great impression of Lara that whole cutscene left.

I watched the recent interview with Judith and as well as seeming like a total sweetheart, she still sounds as powerful and full of life as she did in TR2 and 3.

My one wish for the series is for her to come back one day!

Last edited by HarleyCroft; 22-05-17 at 23:27.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-17, 01:37   #4
ThatSassyKid

She's pretty meh in TR2, but she's incredible in TR3 tbh... love her!
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-17, 20:12   #5
Blackmoor

I love Judith's voice. She is Core-era Lara to me.

And she suited the older age (relatively) that Lara was in those days - 29+. She always sounded in her mid 30s and calm under pressure, but with an ironic sense of humour.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-17, 20:21   #6
redfox45

I think that Judith Gibbins and Keeley Hawes were the most authentic sounding Lara's in the series to this day.

It's hard to not put it down to bias as TR2 and Legend are my favorite games in the series. But I think the essence of a good Lara is more than how you voice her you have to sound a certain way before you even start.

You need to have a poise and maturity in the tone of your voice, and thats something i'd say even Shelley Blond was lacking.

Maybe it has something to do with being a mother xD. Maybe to be a good Lara you just need to have sent a child to bed early a few times in your life.
redfox45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-17, 20:53   #7
Orava

My Tomb Raider fandom started back in 1996 from the very first game, so at the beginning, it was difficult for me to accept Judith Gibbins as Lara's voice, especially because her voice was so different from Shelley Blond's, but I'm glad she reprised her role in Tomb Raider 3. That's when she became the most familiar voice that I always connect with the character. She is definitely my Lara!
Orava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-17, 21:41   #8
ancientIo

Judith has a voice that sounds almost like a normal woman. It's not light and youthful like most voice actresses are made to be, and not really deep. It's right in the middle and smooth which is where most people are. Judith's voice is unique but there's a quality about it that feels organic, like I could easily find a voice like that at the supermarket.

At first I admit that Judith's voice didn't strike me as much as Keeley because Keeley had a more nuanced direction.

But the more I've learned about TR the more fitting Judith's voice became. When you realize that Lara is a seasoned treasure hunter approaching middle age the lighter voices suddenly don't seem right anymore and the juxtaposition of a normal sounding woman saying those badass things really adds to the appeal. Now when I think of Lara, that's the voice I hear in my head. Nothing else fits. Lara's voice needs to be mature.
ancientIo is offline   Reply With Quote