Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-05-12, 20:54   #1
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

Arrow Beyond Good & Evil (Series)

Beyond Good & Evil is an action-adventure video game developed and published by Ubisoft and released in late 2003 for the GameCube, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, and Xbox platforms. The story follows the adventures of Jade, an investigative reporter and martial artist, who works with a resistance movement to reveal a planet-wide alien conspiracy. The player controls Jade and allies, solving puzzles, fighting enemies, and obtaining photographic evidence.

A full HD, re-mastered, version of the game was released on Xbox Live Arcade in March 2011 and on PlayStation Network in June 2011. It features improved character models, textures, and soundtrack. Achievements, trophies and online leaderboards were also added.

Michel Ancel, creator of the Rayman series, envisioned the game as the first part of a trilogy. Beyond Good & Evil was a commercial failure due to its ill-timed release and lack of popularity; however, it was critically acclaimed and received a nomination for "Game of the Year" at the 2004 Game Developers Choice Awards. In 2010, the game was included as one of the titles in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die. The sequel, Beyond Good & Evil 2, is currently in development

Quote:
The State of Beyond Good & Evil 2
Still next-gen, still happening.

After a new Michel Ancel interview and another alleged video leak, the status of the much-rumored Beyond Good & Evil 2 is becoming clearer. Anxious fans can breathe a sigh of relief: Ubisoft is actively working on the sequel, according to a French interview picked up by Shacknews.

Ancel's comments that "it's a very ambitious game and we need some tech to achieve that ambition" further cements that it's a next-gen game. As time goes on and Ubisoft stays quiet about it, details about Beyond Good & Evil 2 keep slipping out. AllGamesBeta picked up an in-engine screenshot showing heroine Jade in a shanty market, which just happens to match the aesthetic of this new environment video.

This footage, picked up by VG247, apparently dates as far back as 2009, around the time we got our first glimpse of the game. We know Ancel's Ubisoft Montpellier is working on Rayman Legends for Wii U at the moment -- in theory, the team could be the team testing the capabilities of the platform for Beyond Good & Evil 2 consideration.

Ancel's a bit of an open book when it comes to discussing his games, but Ubisoft proper is keeping quiet about the specifics of this recent information, stating to IGN that it "does not comment on rumors or speculation."

You, however, can comment on speculation. Do you think we'll hear about a Wii U version of Beyond Good & Evil 2 at E3 in June? Will it show its face later when we've heard about and seen the next Xbox and PlayStation hardware? Leave your out-there impressions below.
[Source]

New footage and info was released today, so I figured I would post it for you all to see. I am excited it's still happening, the first game was one of my favorite PS2 games.
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 20:56   #2
Sir Croft

So is it really going to be a next-gen title?
Sir Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 20:57   #3
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

From what they are saying, that's what it seems like
Old 11-05-12, 21:00   #4
Sir Croft

Then don't expect it to be seen at E3.
Even if it's going to be a release title, we won't hear from it before the next-generation is announced.
This sucks.
Sir Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 21:01   #5
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

I agree, but at least it's good to hear something with all the silence that was going on, and we know it's still in development.
Old 11-05-12, 21:06   #6
tomblover

The new footage looks beautiful.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 21:10   #7
xLara_Nathanx

I needed this thread in my life. I can't express my feelings towards this game. I love it. Soooo much. Jade is awesome. Pey'j is awesome. The feeling I had when I finished this game... <3

I need the sequel.
xLara_Nathanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 21:11   #8
Spong
Beyond The Floating Islands

If the 'new footage' is that vid of the streets and the house interior, it's as old as the hills. Eurogamer posted the same story today, claiming that some website had dug the footage up. But Eurogamer seemed to have forgotten that they themselves posted the same footage years ago (again, from another source), the fact was pointed out and linked by other people in the comments. The fact the footage is so old is the reason I didn't bother creating a thread for it here. It's underwhelming as well to be honest, it all looked a bit bland and third-world, not exactly inspiring in the way the vid of Jade escaping was.

But anyway, BG&E2 is a looong way off, if it even happens. Fingers crossed though.

Last edited by Spong; 11-05-12 at 21:13.
Spong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 21:15   #9
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

Well I know I've never seen the footage and I wasn't sure if anyone else did, plus the info about it still happening was sort of new. I know the sequel is far off, sadly. The new footage at least helped show what type of atmosphere and art-style they are going for this time around.

Plus there isn't a thread for the series yet, so I took an opportunity.
Old 11-05-12, 21:18   #10
King.Louie

I downloaded the HD version and really enjoyed it. Sadly I never finished it
King.Louie is offline   Reply With Quote