Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 03-03-06, 00:23   #1
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Question Can't Load UB on XP (member from Eidos Forums)

Evening folks.

Could someone advise a member of Eidos Forums on the following problem. I've reference this thread on her original post, so you can update here with any help.

"Hello. I would like to finish playing UB. It worked fine on W98. But when I load it now (XP) I just get a lot of colored lines from top to bottom of screen. How do I fix this problem? Thanks."

"Thanks so much for the info. I did download the Advanced Tombraider Installer but I still can't get the game to load. What happens is I got the TR icon on the desktop. I load the CD but still get the colored lines from top to bottom of screen. I then press Ctrl + Alt + Del to get out of it. That brings me back to the desktop. What should I do now? Thanks again."

Thanks folks.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 00:37   #2
Joseph
Inactive

Hi. Did you enable DgVoodoo with the Advanced Installer?
Did you use the downloaded version of UB?
Did TR1 original run well?
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 00:40   #3
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Joseph. Could you advise this member on the complete process of installing and setting up UB on Windows XP? She can then follow your lead.

Thanks
Old 03-03-06, 00:59   #4
Joseph
Inactive

OK.
I am assuming you will use Dgvoodoo also. It is implemented in Advanced Installer anyway.

First you have installed VDMSound, and rebooted. Then installed Tr1 using the Advanced installer, and played it and all went fine. This question is about Unfinished Business.
  1. Put the original TR1 cd in the player with the lowest drive letter and quit the autorun or exit game. CD must lay still.
  2. Download UB from this page. The first version in the list. Install it (unzip the selfextracting exe) to TOMBRAID.
  3. Launch the Advanced Installer again. This time, choose Tomb Raider Gold. Next.
  4. Select I would like to use Dgvoodoo. Next.
  5. Yes i want the installer to configure my soundcard. Select IRQ7. Next.
  6. Next, Game installs.
  7. Check ON "Disable DgVoodoo VDD mode (ATI cards only)" if you have a ATI card. Check ON to create a shortcut anyways. Check ON to setup DgVoodoo after installer closes itself.
  1. In DgVoodoo setup menu, select the DOS platform.
  2. On the Global tab, select 32 bit. If you have an ATI card tick OFF "Working in VDD mode"
  3. On the Glide tab, select 32 bit. If you have an ATI card select "Emulate W-buffering" instead of Enable. Under Miscellaneous enable Force triple buffering and Fix TR1's shadowproblem.
  4. Run the game.
Any problem, questions, report please.
Old 03-03-06, 01:04   #5
Joseph
Inactive

Also let this page be a guide to you.
Old 03-03-06, 01:05   #6
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Thanks Joseph. You're a star!
Old 03-03-06, 01:13   #7
Joseph
Inactive

You too, Justin!
Old 04-03-06, 18:44   #8
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Update for you:

"I'm sooo close!! LOL Okay, I've downloaded and installed ATR Installer and VDM Sound. I have two icons on the desktop: 1. TR (Glide) and 2. TR Gold (Glide). And in the Taskbar I have: VDMS Launchpad. The sound is excellent!! But when I load TR1 and it starts at the very beginning of the game Lara is almost invisible. It looks like first person view and she's not there. But then I can barely see her. This is not such a big problem because I don't want to play TR1. I want to play UB, you know the four extra levels. That I can't load at all. I still get the colored lines from top to bottom but the sound is excellent. What am I doing wrong? Please give step instructions as you did before. That was excellent and I appreciate it so much. Thanks again."
Old 05-03-06, 16:34   #9
Joseph
Inactive

She has to open TOMBRAID and doubleclick DgVoodooSetup.exe. Select the DOS platform. On the Glide tab, she has to look at the part 'Depth buffering'. If there currently is selected Enable W-buffering, she has to change that to Emulate W-buffering.
Old 15-03-06, 00:33   #10
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Update:

"Okay, appreciate it. In the meantime, I just thought of something. Do I have to play thru TR1 and then load the other CD with the four levels in order for it to work? or can I just load the second CD with the four levels independently? Which is what I want to do. Curious how the TR1 game loaded but the four leveles CD didn't work, huh? LOL I'll check back, thanks."